Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never knew that some cars can read speed signs! Some can accelerate or break to match the speed limits.

Because Australia has so many different sizes and shapes this ability to read speed signs doesn't work very well.

I think I'm relatively up to date with this type of technology but, in this case it seems I'm not. I'm interested to hear if most of you knew this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know some new volvos has that system.
Its a camera in the windshield that manages to read the speed signs. In sweden and hole europe (well lets se whats happens to england now after the brexit.. :p) we have almost the same kind of signs. My friends volvo has that feature. Works pretty well what i have seen.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I think a lot of cars do it now. The problem is that road signs get lost in street furniture and advertising boards these days so what these systems do is recognise road signs and repeat them on the dash - not just speed, any warning sign.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Why in the world would ANYONE like something like that? That's ridiculous and all it does is cause road rage.
What troubles you grasshopper?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Do we know if Mazda uses RSI like BMW and Volvo or do they use GPS-based navigation software? Since several portable GPS units use this and we have TomTom GPS software, I believe its the ladder.

I know we have a suite of radars and sensors but I didn't think we had forward viewing cameras also.

Also to add that the Seattle area has many variable speed highways to meter the flow of traffic. I've not seen the speed limit update on my nav screen to reflect the adjusted speed limit.

·
Registered
872 Posts
haha I just don't see how a car that automatically slows your car down to match the speed limit is a good thing.
It doesn't automatically slow the car down. It just provides an indicator that you're traveling over the posted speed limit.

I find it handy when traveling in new places where the limit may be exceptionally low.

·
Registered
893 Posts
It doesn't automatically slow the car down. It just provides an indicator that you're traveling over the posted speed limit.

I find it handy when traveling in new places where the limit may be exceptionally low.
Oh I don't mind that at all, if it's just a warning. But Levi3xt says apparently they have cars that can automatically slow down and speed up to match the limit. That's horrible.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do we know if Mazda uses RSI like BMW and Volvo or do they use GPS-based navigation software? Since several portable GPS units use this and we have TomTom GPS software, I believe its the ladder.
I'm 100% sure it uses the latter. Would have to in the UK because the diagonal stripe national (sometimes called no) speed limit sign (with no digits showing) means generally either a 60mph or 70 mph limit depending on if it is an outer urban single carriageway or a dual carriageway / motorway road. When the car is in these areas it correctly shows either 60mph or 70mph on the sat nav screen. To confuse the the issue, in urban areas the 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 speed limit signs at the side of the road can be very infrequent indeed and often just at the start of that particular speed limit area!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ok, let me expand on the little I know about cars reading speed signs. Some cars can read speed signs and the best can accelerate or brake to match the legal limit. Take an Audi A4, set the cruise control and it adjusts smoothly to the limit, even through roadworks with temporary limits and signage. In Australia, you might have a speed sign on the back of a bus, for example, that shows a lower speed limit than the signposted zone.

This is confusing for the car because there's no significant visual differentiation from the fixed signposts, like size or format, for the car to identify.

The main point I was getting at was, I'd never heard of this until a few days ago (that's what you get from being "down under" Lol).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts