Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello CX-3 forumites. I’m going to consider a CX-3. The CX-3 glossy sales brochure isn’t available at dealerships yet but I see a printed copy can be ordered from Mazda’s web site. I’m waiting for it to arrive. I have some questions about the CX-3 that are typically not answered in a glossy sales brochure.

The CX-3 will be an all new vehicle but I don’t think the 2.0 L four cylinder engine that’ll be installed in U.S. models is new. This same engine is probably being used in other Mazda models. If so, then:

1. Does the 2.0 L engine have a timing chain or a timing belt? I don’t want any more cars that have a timing belt.

2. Change frequency of the timing belt/chain?

3. Interference or non-interference engine?

4. Does it take regular gas or premium gas?

5. Why doesn’t Mazda offer a diesel engine in U.S. models as an option (the one that the 6 was supposed to get)?

6. I hope the sun roof is an option that’s offered by itself and not bundled with other options or included with a trim level as standard equipment. I hate sun roofs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hello CX-3 forumites. I’m going to consider a CX-3. The CX-3 glossy sales brochure isn’t available at dealerships yet but I see a printed copy can be ordered from Mazda’s web site. I’m waiting for it to arrive. I have some questions about the CX-3 that are typically not answered in a glossy sales brochure.

The CX-3 will be an all new vehicle but I don’t think the 2.0 L four cylinder engine that’ll be installed in U.S. models is new. This same engine is probably being used in other Mazda models. If so, then:

1. Does the 2.0 L engine have a timing chain or a timing belt? I don’t want any more cars that have a timing belt.

2. Change frequency of the timing belt/chain?

3. Interference or non-interference engine?

4. Does it take regular gas or premium gas?

5. Why doesn’t Mazda offer a diesel engine in U.S. models as an option (the one that the 6 was supposed to get)?

6. I hope the sun roof is an option that’s offered by itself and not bundled with other options or included with a trim level as standard equipment. I hate sun roofs.
Chain. Service life is indefinite and may equal the life of the engine.
Probably an interference engine as the compression ratio is high and little space is left at TDC. Not certain though.

Regular gas, no premium required

Don't know about the Diesel. Probably a :mad: lack of demand.

Sun roof: I believe they will be unavailable on the sport, optional on the touring and forced on Grand Touring model buyers. I hate them too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Subtracts a substantial amount of headroom
Adds weight in the worst possible location
Introduces a possible source of wind noise and rattles
Makes the car more expensive and less functional
Adds complexities with switches , motor, track ,wiring and seals that are among the first things to fail as the car ages.
And subjectively, I prefer to ride sheltered in the shade rather than exposed to the sun and the wind.

And you want a sunroof?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Subtracts a substantial amount of headroom
Adds weight in the worst possible location
Introduces a possible source of wind noise and rattles
Makes the car more expensive and less functional
Adds complexities with switches , motor, track ,wiring and seals that are among the first things to fail as the car ages.
And subjectively, I prefer to ride sheltered in the shade rather than exposed to the sun and the wind.

And you want a sunroof?
Its a crossover. You plan to track it?

Some people are okay with the potential maintenance and 1" loss of headroom to enjoy the additional light and fresh air a sunroof provides.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Why would I plan to track it? Just giving my reasons for why I hate sun roofs as per MN-CX3's request. Admittedly some of those reasons are a little weak. Some people like um. just not for me. The worst part is paying for something I don't want in order to get something I might. I guess that is true of all option packages, but you usually don't have to take something that you loathe.

Mazda is not alone on this , lots of companies do it.

I should have left off the question at the end, made it sound like he needed to defend his preference for a sun roof. Of course he does not. Apologies MN-CX-3.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why would I plan to track it? Just giving my reasons for why I hate sun roofs as per MN-CX3's request. Admittedly some of those reasons are a little weak. Some people like um. just not for me. The worst part is paying for something I don't want in order to get something I might. I guess that is true of all option packages, but you usually don't have to take something that you loathe.

Mazda is not alone on this , lots of companies do it.

I should have left off the question at the end, made it sound like he needed to defend his preference for a sun roof. Of course he does not. Apologies MN-CX-3.
No apology needed. I took it in the spirit you meant it.
I don't have a moonroof now. Contemplating enjoying one on a bright winter day...
Have to take the sun when you can get it in the northern climes.
;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why do you both hate sunroofs?
For all the reasons mentioned above by okhick. Plus I don’t need the sun on me while driving and increasing the risk of melanoma. Sun roofs are more of a liability than an asset if you ask me. The biggest problem with them is that they can leak and rattle as the car gets older. Also, in the event of a roll over accident, a glass sun roof isn’t going to help save you. A roll over happened to a coworker of mine a few years ago. She didn’t get hurt but it’s a good thing her car had a solid metal roof.

If I choose to buy any extra cost options, I prefer to get options that are safety and convenience oriented such as GPS and accident avoidance technology. A sun roof is more of a hedonistic option that should be an option by itself.

There are as many reasons as there are people concerning why a person would or wouldn’t want a sun roof. Each to his own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts