Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. After doing my little test drive of a CX-5 and Mazda3, I came away more excited about the 3. After some time to reflect, I decided to bite the bullet and go for the 3 instead of waiting for the CX-3. The CX-5 felt a bit too big for what I wanted and the CX-3 looks like it will be too small in terms of cargo room and just doesn't have the edge in fuel economy to make up for it.

So the 3 offers everything that I want and need aside from an all wheel drive option. I'm hoping that a set of snow tires will be all I need to make the difference in winter. I figured that I'd rather have a vehicle that drove okay in winter, but handled like a dream the rest of the year, than something that was just "good" through all seasons. We'll see how that goes this next winter.

I probably will pop in and out some more closer to the launch of the CX-3 to see how people like it. I do hope it's worth the wait. I just couldn't justify it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Were I pressed for time, I'd buy a 3 too. Great car. Don't be a stranger, give us some reports from the field. This may be a CX-3 forum, but I'm probably not the only one here ready to buy a 3 if the CX disappoints.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm loving her! She's nice and planted on the road. Suspension is sporty, yet nicely absorbs bumps in the road. Steering is very direct. Head room is a little lower than the Vibe, but not bad even with my seat cranked up higher. I think passenger room is about the same as the CX-3 will be.

The Mazda Connect infotainment system is very nice. I also added the Navigation with the SD card. Pairing my phone was easy and I can stream my music pretty well most of the time (although depending on how my phone is sitting it can cause some disconnects). The Commander knob is pretty easy to figure out once you play with it a little bit. The touch screen and some configuration options are disabled when you are in motion as a safety precaution. And there are some options in Navigation for real-time traffic updates, but they are disabled. I've read that there was a way to connect to WiFi previously, but that option appears to be gone. I've read that they may be negotiating to send that information over satellite radio. We'll see how that goes. Personally I would prefer an app on my phone to handle it instead of having to setup a WiFi hotspot, but then Mazda would need to develop apps for everyone and they would probably start with iPhones (which would suck since I have Android).

Right now I'm looking for some accessories like a cargo organizer, trash cans that fit into a bottle holder, and an adhesive Autobot badge (still not sure where to put it, though).

I'm also torn on what to name her. I keep going between Firestar/Starfire and Maika (means "Dancing Fire" in Japanese). I've attached a picture, but it's pretty big so I don't know how it will turn out.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm loving her! She's nice and planted on the road. Suspension is sporty, yet nicely absorbs bumps in the road. Steering is very direct. Head room is a little lower than the Vibe, but not bad even with my seat cranked up higher. I think passenger room is about the same as the CX-3 will be.

The Mazda Connect infotainment system is very nice. I also added the Navigation with the SD card. Pairing my phone was easy and I can stream my music pretty well most of the time (although depending on how my phone is sitting it can cause some disconnects). The Commander knob is pretty easy to figure out once you play with it a little bit. The touch screen and some configuration options are disabled when you are in motion as a safety precaution. And there are some options in Navigation for real-time traffic updates, but they are disabled. I've read that there was a way to connect to WiFi previously, but that option appears to be gone. I've read that they may be negotiating to send that information over satellite radio. We'll see how that goes. Personally I would prefer an app on my phone to handle it instead of having to setup a WiFi hotspot, but then Mazda would need to develop apps for everyone and they would probably start with iPhones (which would suck since I have Android).

Right now I'm looking for some accessories like a cargo organizer, trash cans that fit into a bottle holder, and an adhesive Autobot badge (still not sure where to put it, though).

I'm also torn on what to name her. I keep going between Firestar/Starfire and Maika (means "Dancing Fire" in Japanese). I've attached a picture, but it's pretty big so I don't know how it will turn out.
good choice of color
it's quite possibly the best color for a mazda or one of. bound to turn heads... yours and onlookers

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Yeah. Meteor Gray and Jet Black are okay, but Soul Red is the best. Although if they still had Sky Blue like they had back in 2013, that would have been a tough choice. They should really bring that back as Reflex Blue is too light and Deep Crystal Blue is too dark.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Good thing you didn't get the light colored interior (I think) I might have been willing to hit you over the head to take it away from ya.>:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks! Yeah. Meteor Gray and Jet Black are okay, but Soul Red is the best. Although if they still had Sky Blue like they had back in 2013, that would have been a tough choice. They should really bring that back as Reflex Blue is too light and Deep Crystal Blue is too dark.
Soul Red is an extra $300 I think. Also the Mazda 3 sits lower, is 175.6 inches in length (hatchback), has independent rear suspension, 155 HP (2.0L). All around fine vehicle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Soul Red is an extra $300 I think. Also the Mazda 3 sits lower, is 175.6 inches in length (hatchback), has independent rear suspension, 155 HP (2.0L). All around fine vehicle.
That is correct for the most part. Soul Red is a premium color option like white is. The seat sits lower and the car feels lower, but ground clearance is 6.1 inches just like the CX-3. Passenger room is slightly more than the CX-3, but the added length doubles the rear cargo space when the seats are up. And the model I went for was a 3i Touring, so it had the 2.0L, 155hp engine; but for those that want more power, the 3s Touring and higher get a 2.5L 184hp engine out of the 6 and CX-5. That engine also can get 27/37mpg city/highway. That's something the CX-3 can't match.

Now I will say that the higher seating position of the CX-3 would be another thing that I would like. It would also provide easier entry and exit at least for the front seats. I ended up raising my seat up a bit in the 3 in order to compensate. Although I still think the benefits of the 3 outweigh those of the CX-3 for my needs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
at least with soul red, there's a chance rentals might not be in that color, unless rental companies really think ahead, think about what selling the vehicle after might be like.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a bit of driving while on the phone, which provided a good amount of time to listen for noise. There is a bit of wind noise around the A-pillars in particular. It's not something I really notice when I have the music turned up, but it is noticeable without anything else to drown it out. That was more noticeable than any road noise that I could perceive.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I did a bit of driving while on the phone, which provided a good amount of time to listen for noise. There is a bit of wind noise around the A-pillars in particular. It's not something I really notice when I have the music turned up, but it is noticeable without anything else to drown it out. That was more noticeable than any road noise that I could perceive.
first think to check i think should be the weather stripping, if not there are some bigger issues going on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not seeing any problems. This was more to respond to some questions that okhick had about noise. I thought this a more appropriate spot to discuss it than in the Fuel Economy thread. To be honest, it doesn't really bother me. But I do notice it if I'm listening for it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Follow up on this post after about a month of ownership. I seriously love how this car drives. I still take her out at least once or twice a week "exploring" all the winding backroads in my general area. I also find myself taking some more "slower" routes to destinations just so that I can drive the backroads instead. I've never had a car that made me just want to go and drive, it's always been about going to or from someplace.

Also, this car super-cruises. The sweet spot is probably between 45 and 55 MPH. Even at these speeds running around all the turns, accelerating and decelerating, I'm getting 42-43 MPG each trip. My morning commutes are between 35 and 38 MPG.

I will say that my driving habits probably have changed a little as my lead foot has lightened a tad and I stick closer to the speed limit. Part of it is the accelerator takes a little more force than the one in the Vibe did (it really was a hair trigger, even after it was fixed for the whole Toyota sticky accelerator recall), while the rest is not wanting to push it too much with such a flashy vehicle. But when I do need to punch it, she'll respond. Personally I feel the 2.0L engine is all this car really needs unless you want to race with it.

Driving aside, there are a few things that kinda bug me, though. First, the removal of WiFi and with it realtime traffic updates. I really want that back, but I don't know if I want to resort to hacking files in order to get it. I really wish Mazda would come up with an official means of downloading realtime traffic data for the navigation. I've come to rely on that from Google Maps and Waze and the fact that it used to exist and was disabled irks me.

The next issue is really the lack of any sort of internal storage cubbies around car. There's nothing in the doors for holding maps. There's very little room under the armrest except for a few CDs and maybe a couple little things in the tray that sits over them. I'm still trying to figure out where to keep some extra napkins, but my only options are the glovebox or under the armrest and neither is ideal. I did manage to find some little trash cans that fit into the bottle holders in the doors, so that's a plus. I also bought a collapsible cargo organizer for the rear that has come in handy. So I'm learning to deal with less usable space, but I do miss all the options I used to have.

Long story short, the car is a fantastic driver and I love that about it. A few nitpicks here and there, but nothing that takes away from how much fun it is to be behind the wheel and that's what really matters.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I've done a lot of studying cars just lately for various reasons and I reckon the Mazda 3 is the best put together of any of the C segment cars. It's also the most stylish in my eyes. I'm very impressed with Mazda products at the moment and I'm hoping this CX3 will live up to my expectations.

Glad you are enjoying your car.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
By the way, live data is a payable subscription here with the first three months free.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way, live data is a payable subscription here with the first three months free.
Thanks. I'm aware of that, but it's disabled in the US. There is a hack you can do to one of the files where you trick the system into thinking that it's in a different region and allows the WiFi to work. But I still find it stupid that you have to pay for a subscription to use your own WiFi. It's even worse if you are using your phone as a hotspot. They already sold me the navigation, they don't need to nickel and dime me to use a feature that comes from a source that they're not even supplying and still costs me money. Now if it were part of an HD radio subscription or something like OnStar, I could understand. But it's not even that and it's a poor substitute.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Yes I agree entirely. I think it's mean too given we've invested in these things.

I'll try it free then decide if it's worth coughing up but like you say, we are already paying for a data contract.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I agree entirely. I think it's mean too given we've invested in these things.

I'll try it free then decide if it's worth coughing up but like you say, we are already paying for a data contract.
From what I've read up on it, it only appears to download information when the car is stationary. This would explain why it didn't appear to work for some people.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts