Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting, impatiently, for my CX3 to arrive --- still another month to go.
My model comes with the 18" wheels. However, I cannot find any snow tires that correspond to the 215/50 R 18 tires that come with the CX3. The closest I can come to this are Continental TS850P or TS830P in the size 215/55 R17. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm saving my 18in rims for summer driving.

I'm getting 16in rims with winter tires the size that come with the non GT versions. Nokian makes the Hakkapeliitta 7 and 8 in 215/60R16.

Almost looking forward to snow :)

- Ben

·
Registered
24 Posts
For winter show tires, you are better stepping down to 16" wheels/tires. Selection and price are the biggest reasons to do so.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah. I wouldnt get winter tires for 18 inch rims. It takes time to mount and balance tires. It also increases the chance of chipped and scratched rims. Im using 16 inch steelies with winter tires for the cx-3.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Me too. I couldn’t find ANY tyres other than the original TOYOs for the 18” wheels;

So I bought genuine Mazda 16” wheels which had plenty of choice. I bought Yokohama W-Drive V905s;

Like stated above, it gets the wheel rims well away from curbs that are lurking under the snow!

Reactions: LeeBeckstar

·
Registered
451 Posts
I haven't even seen the 18" rims with which my car was equipped. I had mine fitted with basic steel 16" rims with Michelin X-ice tires before I took delivery in November. These very much like the tires I had on my previous car and I swear by them.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I can't find ANY tire to fit the stock 18-inch wheels other that the stock Yokohamas. Its really strange, so I'm wondering what my options are if its time to change tires. The Yokohama's are around $200 per tire which is absolutely ridiculous because they're $130 tires at best. I guess because it is the only one available they can jack the price up. I can get much better performing Pirelli's for that price.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why you dont go on 225/50/18 or 225/45/18. you have plenty of snow tires in that size

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, Al M. I have a GT with 18 inch wheels; I bought Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 tires, size 225.50 R18, on 6 1/2 steel wheels. They are extremely close in specs to the standard tires that came with the car, so I have no concerns about the speedo being out. It took forever for the tire shop to get them: ordered October 21, picked them up on December 22. I like the tire. Have them on my Mazda3 and also had them on the Protege5 that was traded in for the CX3. I might have considered 17s but not 16s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why you dont go on 225/50/18 or 225/45/18. you have plenty of snow tires in that size
Hi, I'm new here. Just bought the CX-3 AWD last weekend and live in the midwest so was shopping for tires as well. I know a few guys who work at Discount Tire here and that's what they recommended. Just step slightly out of spec from the stock tire and there are a lot of options available then.

It's probable next winter I will be going with either 225/50/18 or 225/45/18.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Diameter difference is very slight at 2% bigger, so your actual speed will be 2% faster than your speedo readout relative to the existing error.

The bigger difference is that 225s are about 0.5 inches wider. The wider the tire, the more float you'll have in soft, slushy, or tracked snow. Overall you'll see slightly less stability in softer conditions.

If you're looking to maximize winter traction, then don't go with 225s. If you're looking to maintain the 18" looks while sacrificing a tiny bit of winter capability, then sure.

Personally I wouldn't sacrifice any amount of traction. It's very easy to reach the limits in winter driving, and every extra bit of traction helps.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thanks guys.

My issue is really with the fact there is no other tire available at that size than the stock Yokohama tires, and they're ridiculously expensive for what you get ($200 per tire). Anyway, I guess I won't be replacing the tires. I just wanted to see what options were available and what the difference would be.

I guess another option would be to keep the 215 width but go with a 55 or 45. Now the 45 would make the tire look small and increase the wheel gap, I really don't like that. But according to that willtheyfit.com website the 55 would add 10mm. Would that cause any problems when turning?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a small app on my iPod called "Tire Exchange Calculator." It lets you compare tire sizes with what you have on now. If you want to know if the speedometer figures that would change with a change in tire size this is a quick and easy way to find out beforehand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would These Work?

Hey Guys,

Love this forum especially this thread as im in a pickle about what tire to change it to and i have some questions

I was looking to change over to this tire
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...VR8PUREC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Would this be the best match? i shouldn't have any trouble with traction i think, the difference while yes the diameter of the tire is a bit smaller not by much mind you i feel like you wont notice a difference in summer spring fall but when it comes to winter thats when these tires should out perfrom the standard Avid S34FV that come with the 18's right?

I did some calculation the only draw back is i will loose .25 ground Clarence from the 6.22 that Mazda's site says. and the Speedo will read 58.88 while you are really going 60. so i dont know why it would be bad to change to these tires unless people think i should jump to 225/50

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
There will be some speedo error but as long as you change all 4 I doubt the various systems would object. I like the nifty tread depth metering on those Contis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
they are in my opinion the best match, you think these would out perform the OEM tires correct? Especially in snow?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Almost certainly in snow but nothing is better than a proper winter tyre.

I have no idea how they would match for noise, fuel economy and handling.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts