Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven now about 800 kms on the cx3 since pick up ~3 weeks ago.

During this time I have noticed the car to be much "smarter", and quicker in down shifting when letting off throttle VS. stomping on throttle for more power.

For example: I let off gas approaching a red light, very quickly i feel the auto tranny begin to down shift which allows for engine braking (saving the brakes a little)

Comparatively, sometimes I would stomp on the throttle in search for more power, athe computer lags in recognizing the input and takes a good second to downshift and spike the RPMS for more power.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Yes, mine changes down perfectly going down hills too.

My old Toyota had a nice box but this little Skyactive box is a gem.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Haven't you got a sports mode on the diesel? Oh well I will let you take mine for a spin, if you can hold off taking it apart for spare parts for a minute or two:D
I want a SPORT button for one thing!

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
To be honest it pulls quite well but typical of a diesel, its all low revs so I guess thats why it was left out.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sport mode is pretty useless, if you have the CVT paddle shifters. All it does (from observation) is allowing the engine to rev higher before shifting, and holds the revs slightly longer at higher RPMs.

Nothing you cant do when in "M" mode.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes but if you don't want to use the paddle shifters or manual mode, it is pretty fun activating sport mode.
I'm with you Greaseman. Every morning when I'm getting on super congested I95 I switch to sport mode to be able to get on and then move through to the left lane. It's just too early and I'm too lazy in the morning to use the paddles :laugh:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes but if you don't want to use the paddle shifters or manual mode, it is pretty fun activating sport mode.
Another good way to look at it is either way we probably have one of the most fun vehicles in the segment. I doubt the Honda HRV is any fun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I find sport mode to be useful driving down the canyons here in Utah. It stays in a lower gear to help with speed control well. And, with the curvy roads, it's more fun.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I like the sport mode, although it just seems like they rebadged the "overdrive" button in my old Corolla.
You had a strange Corolla then ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the sport mode, although it just seems like they rebadged the "overdrive" button in my old Corolla.
you're not wrong. all "sport modes" in most mass-produced vehicles is exactly over drive (my friends Subie BRZ is exactly the same)

Surely a sport mode in say, a Nissan GT-R will stiffen suspension and activate launch control etc.

·
Registered
893 Posts
you're not wrong. all "sport modes" in most mass-produced vehicles is exactly over drive (my friends Subie BRZ is exactly the same)

Surely a sport mode in say, a Nissan GT-R will stiffen suspension and activate launch control etc.
That sounds about right, my brother has an Audi A7 and when you put it on "Dynamic", their version of sport, it really tightens the suspension and steering and makes acceleration quicker. On "Comfort" mode the steering becomes smooth as butter and acceleration goes back to a more normal mode. Then there is a custom mode where you can customize throttle, steering, and suspension.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I like how mazda has a sport mode option other than an "echo- save the panda's- green leaf,etc" option found in most cars like my Kia. I take echo mode off when getting on the highway. Mazdas tranny is ohsome

·
Registered
141 Posts

Yeah haha. My old corolla if you turned off overdrive it would just leave it in low gear and high RPM so it became sort of like a "sport mode".

This car does something similar to the Corolla and it doesn't really change the suspension or anything like your Audi.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts