Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

skyactiv engine hp from 155 to 146

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Soraia 
#1 ·
can someone explain why the the cx-3 has a lower hp rating of 146 hp even if it shares the same 2.0L engine with mazda 3 which have 155 hp? from a car review that i watched, the original manifold for the 2.0 engine can't fit the body of the cx-3, forcing mazda to fit it with a smaller version.

i am asking this because i will base my future tuning upgrades from this fact. i would like to at least bump the original output of the 2.0L to 155 hp. i also can't find a concrete literature to confirm my research.

#2 ·
I'm not sure why, but the main difference from the CX-3 engine and the 3 engine, is the low end torque.
In the 3 it has max. torque at 4000 rpm, but in the CX-3 it's at 2800 rpm.
So more low end torque but slightly lower high end power.

What is technical different between the two engines, I have no idea.
I'm sure anchorman can help here :)

#4 ·
The MX-5 is RWD so it has a conventional layout.

As stated above, they had trouble packaging the 2.0G engine in the CX-3 so they had to re-design the inlet manifold. Engines are rarely rated anywhere near their maximum output to improve longevity, durability, emissions, and economy. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they could get 200bhp or more but they tend to go for the sweet spot that gives the best balance of its attributes and that will be way lower than maximum.

The 3 is heavier then the CX-3 and they will have considered that in choosing the power and transmission ratios. Don’t forget that emissions are king in these global warming days.

Ive attached two pdf’s. One is the intake manifold of the CX-3 and the other is the 3 which is a much beefier affair. Does it make the difference between the power outputs? Personally, I doubt it.

Attachments

#8 ·
That's very nice and appreciated.

Thank you.

Reactions: mikflores
#9 ·
As a matter of interest, I was flicking through the CX-5 brochure and noticed that the 2.0G Skyactive is rated at 165bhp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.