Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This might/will be my first time changing the battery in my Mazda 2015 petrol CX3. But is it even worth it changing it myself? I have the tools and some knowledge but will follow videos and tutorials and research.

My only concern is my fob key and radio will lock and not work.... as some video mention there is a tool to prevent this from happening when installing a new battery?

Or should I just go to a mechanic and let them install it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've changed several batteries in various vehicles and just replaced the battery in my 2016 CX-3. Prior to replacing my CX-3 battery I watched an online tutorial, which advised to connect a battery tender to the battery cables before removing them from the battery. This will keep a low current supplied to the electronics and retain your radio presets, plus any other information stored in the onboard computers.

Since I have a battery tender for my motorcycle I did as instructed. It worked like a charm and I swapped out the battery in about 15 minutes. I've never heard of using a battery tender for this purpose, but will do this on any future battery replacements.

You could go to a mechanic where they will likely charge you for one hour labour, plus the cost of the battery. However, if you have the tools (all you need is a 10mm deep socket) and the basic knowledge why not do it yourself?

·
Registered
594 Posts
You should be fine doing it yourself just unbolting the terminals and replacing the battery. Obviously do NOT make contact or touch both ends at the same time and if you have not done it before it might be better to watch someone do it just incase you dont accidentally bump into one while holding the other or something.

Carwise- Ive yet to see a oem make internal car/ecu memory destroyable by a powercutoff situation as it would be the most foolish thing they could do. Batteries are expected to be replaced and if there was any chance of any 'damage' it would be plastered with warning labels. The only thing you might lose is presaved radio station although Im not sure if those will even be lost? I changed the mazda battery last year and dont remember losing stations on it but then again I rarely use the radio nowadays anyway. All my light and proximity settings remained intact as did synced phones and such. Keyfob was not an issue at all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Agree with SlyCoopers.
But then again, the presets and memory stuff in the car, should hold enough charge to be fine for a minute or two. So unless you're working at a snails pace, it should be fine.
I say this, because I have disconnected my battery to clean the engine bay etc. And reconnected it after cleaning the tray. No change was observed in any of the systems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the battery disconnected for 3 months.
No settings were lost after reconnecting the battery.
In the Applications section, the next maintenance date was advanced by three months :)

After reconnecting the battery I had to initialise the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).
TPMS on my CX-3 from 2018 is based on rotational differences.

From the Mazda Owners Manual:
In the following cases, system initialisation must be performed so that the system operates normally.
A tyre pressure is adjusted.
Tyre rotation is performed.
A tyre or wheel is replaced.
The battery is replaced or completely drained.
The tyre pressure monitoring system warning light is illuminated.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Kenji, I know this is a month old but it seems like you are hesitant to change the battery yourself. Just for information I took mine to Sam's Club and bought:
Duracell AGM Automotive Battery - Group Size 35/85
On sale it cost me about $139 and it has worked great since 2018. They installed it while I shopped! Most retailers sell this size AGM battery so if you can't do Sam's...

I also put the same type battery in my pickup and it is nearly 3 years old and it works great also!

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
However, if you have the tools (all you need is a 10mm deep socket) and the basic knowledge why not do it yourself?
You should be fine doing it yourself just unbolting the terminals and replacing the battery.
But then again, the presets and memory stuff in the car, should hold enough charge to be fine for a minute or two.
No settings were lost after reconnecting the battery.
Kenji, I know this is a month old but it seems like you are hesitant to change the battery yourself.
Hey guys!

Thank you so much for the update and I decided to replace the battery myself!!

I live in Australia so I don't have access to a lot of Q85 batteries, only 2-3 models which are common. I purchased the battery and decided to install it myself with help from youtube.

Replacing the battery: EASY AS! I didn't know why I was so scared (because of settings)

Here are a few things that happened after I replaced the battery
1 iStop stopped working (as expected)
2 My automatic power windows to automatically wind down stopped working. I had to hold the button, instead of hard pressing it then letting it go for the window to auto. wind down.
  • Bluetooth decided did NOT erase
  • Radio presets did NOT erase

Here's how I fixed the first two points above
1 - Reset iStop, really easy to do, had to google how to reset it
2 - The window fixed itself after 5 minutes of resetting istop

Thanks guys!

Instead of me paying mazda $550, I paid $180!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I changed my Mazda CX-3's battery this month. The car was purchased brand new in February 2017 so the battery was at least 4 years, 3 months old when I changed it. I drive a lot less now due to the pandemic and decided to change it for the following reasons:
  • Noticed the engine did not start up as smoothly as normal.
  • Tested the battery with a multimeter and it read 12.4 volts. A fully charged battery will typically display a voltmeter reading of about 12.6 to 12.8 volts. If your voltmeter is showing a voltage anywhere between 12.4 and 12.8, that means your battery is in good shape.
  • I am installing new LED lights in the front and rear bumper so I wanted to eliminate any low voltage issues.
  • Was debating to wait until next year February to change the battery at the 5 years old mark, but not confident it would last the Canadian winter without issues.
With that in mind, I called the Mazda Dealership and confirmed they had a battery in stock that was manufactured in May 2021 (I wanted a fresh battery) and I purchased it for $179.98 + tax. My family mechanic installed it for me and I was happy to know I didn't need to reprogram the radio stations or anything on the car. Seems like the computer maintains its memory. Only problem was the automatic window on the driver side stopped working. The solution was to: 1) Hold the window down button for 5 seconds after it was all the way down, and 2) Hold the window up button for 5 seconds after it was all the way up. That solved it for me and now the automatic window function works.

The OEM battery that came with my Mazda CX-3 was a Panasonic battery, and the dealership sold me a new Panasonic battery so nice to see consistency. They look slightly different but same dimensions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For those that like me didn't know this (until recently) its important which order you disconnect and reconnect your battery, also applied to jump starts as you can destroy the computer if you do it wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys!

Thank you so much for the update and I decided to replace the battery myself!!

I live in Australia so I don't have access to a lot of Q85 batteries, only 2-3 models which are common. I purchased the battery and decided to install it myself with help from youtube.

Replacing the battery: EASY AS! I didn't know why I was so scared (because of settings)

Here are a few things that happened after I replaced the battery
1 iStop stopped working (as expected)
2 My automatic power windows to automatically wind down stopped working. I had to hold the button, instead of hard pressing it then letting it go for the window to auto. wind down.
  • Bluetooth decided did NOT erase
  • Radio presets did NOT erase

Here's how I fixed the first two points above
1 - Reset iStop, really easy to do, had to google how to reset it
2 - The window fixed itself after 5 minutes of resetting istop

Thanks guys!

Instead of me paying mazda $550, I paid $180!!!
can you let me know where did you purchase your new battery ? and what s the brand and model . thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did my battery change yesterday.
Sizing was a problem, as the battery tray has a tiny lip in it so it needs the exact size to fit.
Ended up getting a Varta Blue 649.
Was going to i-stop did it's own recalibration as I drove back from the battery shop. The window (auto up/down feature) I did while I was driving home.
No issues, trip counter (A and B) reset as well as fuel economy liters/100km.
Radio stations looked liked they reset, but scrolled to my favorites and it was all there, what did reset was the instrument cluster brightness and the audio (bass, trebble, mid range) settings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts