Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this was brought up already, but I quickly browse the forums and didn't see anything on this so I figured I would ask.

Is anyone having a problem with the shifter sticking a little bit when put in manual mode? In our cx3, when the shifter is pushed sideways into manual mode, the shifter tends to stick in the up or down position for a moment before springing back to the center position.

This is especially true on colder mornings or in cold weather.

I took it to the dealership to have them look at it, they said that they did not have a fix for it. The tech guy saw it and said that it shouldn't do that. However, we went out into the lot and looked at two other GT models on the lot, and they both did the same thing.

Our cx-5 doesn't do that, just the cx3. The dealership they said they can't fix it because Mazda hasn't put out a bulletin on it. Has anyone else noticed the same issue?

·
Registered
136 Posts
How long have you had the car for? It could just be tight tolerances on a new car. My manual transmission use to be difficult to put into 2nd and 5th but the issue resolved itself by about 3,000 km.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I think the problem lies with the auto shifter in this case.

I don't know why the dealer can't fix it. It's a fairly simple affair so a half decent mechanic would be able to pull it to bits and sort it out. And if there really is no fix they should order a new one off Mazda. I would go and find another dealer or make a nuisance of myself at that one.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
I apologize if this was brought up already, but I quickly browse the forums and didn't see anything on this so I figured I would ask.

Is anyone having a problem with the shifter sticking a little bit when put in manual mode? In our cx3, when the shifter is pushed sideways into manual mode, the shifter tends to stick in the up or down position for a moment before springing back to the center position.

This is especially true on colder mornings or in cold weather.

I took it to the dealership to have them look at it, they said that they did not have a fix for it. The tech guy saw it and said that it shouldn't do that. However, we went out into the lot and looked at two other GT models on the lot, and they both did the same thing.

Our cx-5 doesn't do that, just the cx3. The dealership they said they can't fix it because Mazda hasn't put out a bulletin on it. Has anyone else noticed the same issue?
I have noticed the same thing.
It hesitates for ½ second or something like that.
A bit weird at first, but I'm use to it now, the few times I actually use manual shifting with the gearstick.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Before fitting the paddles I used the manual mode a bit but can't day I ever encountered what is described.

Possibly our warmer climate makes it less likely

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know whether to say I'm glad that we aren't the only ones with issues or not. Now that looks like other people are having problems, I wish Mazda would know about this so they can put a bulletin out on it and get it taken care of.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've got a little over 6000 miles on my CX-3 now and mine used to stick like you say. After some use, it's loosened up and no longer sticks. Just needs to be broken in. The grease Mazda uses in these linkages is kinda thick if it's the same stuff they used to use over the last 10-ish years. Just keep using it and it should get better.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I hadn't used the shifter to change gears in a while, only used the paddle shifters, but now mine don't stick as much as they used to either. Its almost unnoticeable now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a little over 6000 miles on my CX-3 now and mine used to stick like you say. After some use, it's loosened up and no longer sticks. Just needs to be broken in. The grease Mazda uses in these linkages is kinda thick if it's the same stuff they used to use over the last 10-ish years. Just keep using it and it should get better.
We just passed 5,000 miles in ours and it doesn't seem like it is getting any better, and I try to use it a little each and every day of driving.

Like usual, it 'sticks' all the time, but it is better on warmer days or after the car heats up for a while. Still not perfect but better.

On colder days, still awful. The other day it was in the low 20's in the morning, and when I tried to use it, it never sprung back to the starting position, it stuck in the 'upshift' position until I moved it back manually.

While not terrible, it almost seems like it could be a small safety hazard.

I really wish Mazda would just find a simple solution for this.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
It all seems to revolve around Mazda issuing a solution but I'm not sure they will. The dealer should have mechanics that can sort it. What do they do when a car runs out of warranty, scrap it?

They really are pathetic.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It all seems to revolve around Mazda issuing a solution but I'm not sure they will. The dealer should have mechanics that can sort it. What do they do when a car runs out of warranty, scrap it?

They really are pathetic.
Out of the 4 or 5 Mazda dealerships here in the Milwaukee area, I've only had great service at one of them, Concours Mazda. I suspect they are better at that particular dealership because they are used to dealing with high-end clients. That particular dealership also sells VW, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche vehicles besides the Mazdas. The technicians at all the other Mazda dealers around here have not impressed me at all. No offense to Snoogie on these forums, but compared to all of the Subaru dealership shops around here, the Mazda guys have been a joke. The guys at the dealership up in Sheboygan couldn't even do a tire rotation without managing to snap off one of my wheel studs. Every time I've taken any of my Mazdas in with a specific issue that was beyond regular scheduled maintenance items, they were like a deer in headlights when I spoke about the issue. I always felt like I knew more about the car than they did.

Meanwhile, every Subaru shop around, has given me the exact opposite impression. Those guys know their stuff forward and backward. It's clear the Subaru techs are as passionate about the cars as their customers while the Mazda guys it's like they're just there punching a clock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The Mazda dealerships that I have gone to (2 in the area, one that is the preferred one due to location) are both not bad. They don't overcharge, they don't push service on you that you don't want. The showrooms are pretty nice and they service is done much quicker than what I was used to at my local Chevy dealer.

My only complaint is about stuff like this shifter issue. They really do not want to attempt ANY repairs or fixes unless Mazda corporate issues a TSB for it. If the wheels aren't falling off the car, and nothing comes from above, they say they can't do anything about it.

With that said, this isn't an isolated issue obviously, many people are having it..so I just wish Mazda would look into it and issue a fix. It can't be THAT hard to fix.

A few years ago, we bought a brand new Saturn Redline Vue, 2008. It had the EXACT same issue. I took it to the Saturn Dealership and told them about it. An hour later, the oil change was done AND the shifter issue was fixed. I don't remember the details, but the guy at the Saturn dealership told me on that car, it was a simple fix. Yet, the Mazda guys won't even try anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts