Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new 2019 cx3 at the end of January and all the wheel nuts are rusting already! They’re just mild steel painted the same as the wheels. The paint is already bubbling and every single one has rust. I’ve told the dealer I want stainless ones fitted.
Anyone else had this problem? I don’t like the new style 18s, the ones on my previous cx3 looked much nicer and the nuts never rusted either!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oh wow I dont think ive ever seen lug nuts rust ever. Usually new cars some with chrome-ish lug nuts which even after being abused scratched damaged etc still wont rust lol. Even a cheap set from a local auto store has same rust proofing around here :/ Thats rough sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Neither have I. It’s a bit worrying isn’t it? What else are they skimping on now?
Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever, on any car, have had to worry about the lug nuts!
Werw they the stock ones or the locking ones?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Boy, if they are cheapening out on the finish of the lug nuts, I'd hate to see what the threads are going to look like after the winter we are going through here in Canada. Wonderful if they all seize up with rust at the same time..

·
Registered
303 Posts
Damn, rusty nuts eh ?

It's good to be me today ;)

I notice you state on your previous cx-3 they were fine.
A good customer should get the dealer to take care of his nuts for free.

zoom-zoom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rusty lug nuts

My 2109 CX3 is 9 months old & I have rusty lug nuts on my vehicle. I have not seen salt yet. I have been waiting over 24 hours for the dealer to call me to schedule an appointment. I just joined this forum to see if anyone else was having this problems. Linda

·
Registered
446 Posts
My 2109 CX3 is 9 months old & I have rusty lug nuts on my vehicle. I have not seen salt yet. I have been waiting over 24 hours for the dealer to call me to schedule an appointment. I just joined this forum to see if anyone else was having this problems. Linda
Ive seen a few other people with this problem and it seems to be a late-2018 to 19 model year issue. Not sure if its effected by regional differences (mainly the ones in the EU) but I would try to get the dealer to put on a different set maybe from another mazda model or aftermarket etc. The other thing I could assume is cause for the rusting is the bolt itself if its an open head lug nut. I cant see the initial picture that the thread creator posted anymore but I remember it being an open head.

The only reason why I assume the bolt being the issue is because of the new wheels I had installed a while back had a loose center cap and water would get behind the cap and then would basically pull rust from the metal behind on the rotor etc.

If you can clean the lug nuts and the rust goes away then its most likely the inner bolt getting surface rust from water coming in then 'leaking' out. If the nut itself is rusted over then thats a whole other issue but Im assuming mazda didnt attempt to screw over new buyers by using poor lug nuts.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Actually I think I can just about confirm the open head lug nuts being the issue with the rust because of the stud/bolt/screw, whatever interchangable term you want to call it, rusts out first then water increases rust runoff on the nut/wheel etc. Found multiple car forums that had these issues from nissan to subaru to infiniti. Still feels cheap that mazda is giving people open headed lug nuts though :/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am still waiting for the dealer to call. I have called for 2 days & left messages on the voice mail. My concern is that my vehicle has 900 miles on it & I have had the vehicle in 2 other times due to a software issue that would turn off all inside lights, dash would go dark etc while driving which made things exciting. I have a 2011 Mazda 2 & never had any of these issues. Obviously there are differences in vehicles. But my 1988 Mustang GT doesn’t have rusty lug nuts so I am disappointed in Mazda service for not calling me back. I am still waiting......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bought my cx3 new last March, so it’s under a year old and just under 12,000 Kms, and yes the lugnuts are rusting. Brought it to my dealer and he fed me “male bovine excrement” about proper cleaning. He then showed me about 8 other cars—3’s, cx5’s , Miatas, all under a year old, and all with the same problem, one 3 wagon was a lot worse than mine. Rusting seems worse on the keyed nut in every case, including mine.

I got a leetle impatient with the guy and slowly explained that my previous ‘08 Mazda 3 never had this issue and asked him for replacements. He explained that he could give me new nuts, but the problem would persist.

Right now it’s rainy season on Vancouver, so I won’t be doing any exterior cleaning until late March. I’ll probably remove the wheels for a good cleaning then, but even if I do remove the rust with a buffing wheel and rouge, what do I treat the nuts with so the rust doesn’t come back?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Bought my cx3 new last March, so it’s under a year old and just under 12,000 Kms, and yes the lugnuts are rusting. Brought it to my dealer and he fed me “male bovine excrement” about proper cleaning. He then showed me about 8 other cars—3’s, cx5’s , Miatas, all under a year old, and all with the same problem, one 3 wagon was a lot worse than mine. Rusting seems worse on the keyed nut in every case, including mine.

I got a leetle impatient with the guy and slowly explained that my previous ‘08 Mazda 3 never had this issue and asked him for replacements. He explained that he could give me new nuts, but the problem would persist.

Right now it’s rainy season on Vancouver, so I won’t be doing any exterior cleaning until late March. I’ll probably remove the wheels for a good cleaning then, but even if I do remove the rust with a buffing wheel and rouge, what do I treat the nuts with so the rust doesn’t come back?
With lugnuts its a little different than just spraying something with coating mainly because rust resistant stuff is temporary considering the wheels get soaked and abused with elements and weather/rain/snow. Spraying them with a rust converter paint coating is also probably a bad idea since its gonna come off the second you ever take the nuts off to rotate wheels or whatever. If anything I would say just buy a solid piece chrome set of lug nuts. Im not sure if you have open head nuts like initially mentioned but yea a simple amazon order would fix this. Dealers like to price things obnoxiously so that may not be the best route.

FYI theres also the issue with capped nuts and dealers will almost always have capped nuts. Rcently I had an issue with oem jeep lugnuts being capped nuts and the caps deformed and stripped and I ended up replacing the entire set of lug nuts with a $25 20 piece set of solid chrome lug nuts. Functions better than oem for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts