Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lovin' the new CX-3 (Lil Red). Owned for about a month and only 1000 kms. First brand spanking new car I have ever bought. I have always bought used, and well....they always come with the usual dings and scratches.

Walking past Lil Red today and the sun was shining at a particular angle that I noticed roof ripples!! Basically, looks like little dents above front driver side window on roof side/pillar. I think there's about 5 all together in a span of about a foot and half. Needless to say, I wasn't overly impressed. There's no way this damage was cause by something else. Had to have been there when I purchased or mysteriously appeared.

I dont know if this has happened to anyone before or if the dealer will do anything about it. I took some pictures but they are hard to see. You can sorta see it looking at reflection of siding lines. Running your hand over it you can actually feel the slight depressions. Speaking of depression.... so much for a blemish free new car. :(

· Registered
303 Posts
Hail ?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No...definitely not hail. No trees or anything overhead to drop anything on it. Car has spent most of time parked in my driveway. No blemishes whatsoever on paint to indicate something striking it....

Upon recent googling... seems to have happened in other models:

CX5. Unexplained Cant rail & roof dents mysteriously appear - sunroof usage? - Mazda CX-5 - OZMAZDA.com - Australian Mazda Owners Car Club/Forum

Dents and dings in roof rails of my CX9 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

might be similar to my issue...

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
I'll have a look at mine later but there are welds all along that part of the roof and window frames. I think they are probably quite normal where a frame makes a curved transition.

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Can't beat the human hand for finishing. You hit the nail on the head though, it is exactly the result of bending the metal.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And of course, I just had to get the one with missed flaws. I doubt the dealer will do anything for me. No harm in asking tho.

Note to self: Next time, thoroughly inspect the car before signing on the dotted line. Sigh.

· Registered
222 Posts
I would think they are more likely damage that occurs during transportation and storage from manufacturing.

They look a lot like hail damage but if there has not been any then i would bet its happened on route to dealer.

Should have been picked dup in their inspections and they can claim it back on mazda.

However the time between delivery and notification of problem could be an issue, but well worth asking.

My CX3 had some minor damage where it looks like something had brushed over from headlight to rear of side and caused some rub marks in paint and one of the guard protectors.

Dealer must have seen it as i found some polishing compound around the headlight.

They replaced the black guard extension that was scratched and i rectified the paint.

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
From that angle, I’m not sure it is right. It looks a bit like its been strapped down to a transporter???

· Registered
134 Posts
I think that this is from someone hand. Try to press with your finger next to one you have and see what happens. I told you i had same problem with my car. One more wont do much difference if i am right. :)

· Registered
132 Posts
Maybe an overly Large Sales Person when the Car was on the Lot, ready for delivery, etc.

Maybe this person was leaning on this part of the car with their forearms, talking to someone else on the other side of the Car,
The reason I suggest this is that on another car I owned I put 3M Di-Noc Carbon on the Roof, when the Installer was putting it on and stretching it he left marks of a similar size as what you suggesting.

I think that you should take it up with the Dealer, its a brand new Car.

Hope this may be of some help, and hope you get a result and have it rectified.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that this is from someone hand. Try to press with your finger next to one you have and see what happens. I told you i had same problem with my car. One more wont do much difference if i am right. :)
Tried this...no dents. Maybe I need to try harder. :)

Leaned on the side with forearms and pushed so hard with finger to see any deflection. Metal seems pretty sturdy as opposed to flimsy like on some wide panels.

E-mailed a picture and concerns to dealer. Waiting for response. Unfortunately, the dealer is over 220 kms away. So stopping by isnt a simple option.

Will keeps ya updated as it progresses.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you gone thru automatic car wash?Years ago I had one damage the roof of my car.
Nope....never have. I am leaning a lot towards manufacturing flaw. All the little dents seem to be of same size, in same place of pillar in relation to edges vertically, and they appear to be same distances apart from one another. Its too symmetrical of an occurrence to be from something randomly hitting it.

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
I’d have a look at some more CX-3s. I looked at my CX-5 yesterday in good light and there is nothing. Can anybody else look at theirs please.

· Registered
451 Posts
I did have a look at mine and while I did not see any dents, I did notice a lot of water spots in the same area (like hard water marks) that I find impossible to rub out with any of my auto rubbing compounds that I have.

· Registered
747 Posts
I’d have a look at some more CX-3s. I looked at my CX-5 yesterday in good light and there is nothing. Can anybody else look at theirs please.
No ripples here ... but I am a bit apprehensive about parking near linear, parallel clapboards. :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.