Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am in the market for a CX-3. I will be test driving one today and potentially get one this weekend. I need to compare it first hand to the CX-5. Little worried about it being cramped.

Anyways, i won't buy a car that doesn't have an OEM system for a roof rack. from what i can tell there are no rails available on the CX-3 like there is on the CX-5 (bummer because it would look good). Is the OEM rack available yet in the US? Also, for anyone who has looked into this; does Yakima or Thule make a rack for the CX-3 that utilizes the gutter or native rack mounts (not sure what the CX-3 has for mounting built in). I refuse to ever put a third party rack on my car that has one of those ugly mounts that hooks down into the door.

I thought this would be a good place to start talking about roof racks for those interested.

For those owners out there, if you can share info on the mountings available, and the racks currently available that would be great. Don't be shy about posting pics. I will if i go through with this.

Toodles.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I haven't heard of anything myself, but I am interested in any news out there. Would love to be able to put our bikes or snowboards on the roof so we can rip to the mountains.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i test drove the Meteor Gray and put a down payment on the Ceramic Metallic. I prefer the black interior and have too many scratches on my current darker car I have. Hopefully one of the local dealers they call in the AM are cool and trade the Ceramic Metallic for the Meteor Gray.

The dealer wasn't sure but he thought that all the accessories available on the CX-5 would be available on the CX-3. I would be pumped for a rail system in black. I plan on blacking out all my badges; i like the "white" car with black trim look.

I'll post some pics when i get a rack.

The Google link above shows mostly CX-5's; i've been there many times.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the look of roof racks on almost all autos. I do a lot of outdoor stuff and I got a AWD so i can ski more easily. Not to mention I plan on getting a bullet carrier for the roof. Otherwise you have the storage of a backpack with that trunk.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is no way i'd get a CX-3 over a 3 Hatchback if i didn't live in an area that got snow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Today, I checked with a local dealership asking if they had a glossy CX-3 accessories brochure. They said no, they didn’t have it. They have a CX-3 glossy sales brochure but not a CX-3 accessories brochure. The glossy sales brochure shows SOME but not ALL of the available CX-3 accessories. An accessories brochure shows ALL the accessories for a particular model. Mazda has a separate accessories brochure for their other models, the CX-5 and CX-9 but they don’t have one for the CX-3. At least not yet.

And don’t confuse accessories with options. Options have to be installed by the factory because of the higher degree of complexity needed to install them. Examples of options include a sun roof and leather seats. An accessory is easier to install and can be done by either yourself or the dealer. Examples of accessories include mud flaps, cargo liner mats, front end protectors, carpeted floor mats, etc.

And even if a brochure states that a particular accessory is available, you still have to cross check it with Mazda’s web site to be sure. Brochures are printed before a vehicle goes into production. A glossy brochure may not reflect last minute production line changes. It’s usually small minor things that get changed. For example, I have a Nissan 300ZX. Brochure says a cargo area lamp was standard equipment on my car, a 300ZX turbo model but it wasn’t. So you have to check mazdausa’s web site. An auto maker’s web site reflects what is most up to date. Because the CX-3 is a brand new model, all the accessories that we’ve come to expect may not be available right now.

Concerning aftermarket accessory manufacturers of roof racks like Thule and Yakima. Because the car is so new, a roof rack may not be currently available. Check yourself with Thule and Yakima.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I negotiated roof racks as part of the deal, car won't arrive until the end of September so I'm only going off pictures of other cars at this stage. I'm in Australia but I would assume the US will be getting something.

Here's a link to the AUS accessory page Accessory Details

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I already went to the Aussie accessories page; some cool stuff on there but no roof rack info. In the US we are all getting these cars before their widespread release; sort of beta testers. My local dealer looked on their deep web access to Mazda and said there was rails and cross bars but no pricing or availability.

I got mud flaps thrown in on my deal.

If the rails look like what is in that Youtube video above than the rails are lower profile than the CX-5.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think that was a cx5 you saw with rack
It was the CX-3 with the racks. There are tiny letters at the bottom of the video indicating which model they were showing. They should be available in Australia since they have added a Recommended Fitted Price tot he rack it page.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's not big enough to carry our skis inside.

I've ordered Thule 127cm square bars (769), footpack (754), fitting kit (1798) and snowpro745 ski carrier.

However, the fitting kit is not available from Thule until 15th Oct (Switzerland and France). I also asked Thule UK, who expect supply on 10th.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's not big enough to carry our skis inside.

I've ordered Thule 127cm square bars (769), footpack (754), fitting kit (1798) and snowpro745 ski carrier.

However, the fitting kit is not available from Thule until 15th Oct (Switzerland and France). I also asked Thule UK, who expect supply on 10th.
The factory rack (whether it ends up being bars or rails) attaches to mounts that are inside of the gutters on the CX-3. If you poke around you will notice that there is an insert in the gutter from the factory. From what i understand, when you get a factory rail or rack you also get a new gutter insert with the appropriate inserts to fill the gutter. That is how it worked for the Mazda3 and the CX-5.

So if you go with Thule I think you will end up having to cut up the gutter inserts yourself, or having to order something from Mazda anyways. Usually OEM racks are cheaper than Yakima/Thule. I believe that is because they fit right into a predetermined mount and you don't have to buy the three pieces you have to get from Yakima/Thule; adapt kit, feet, and load bars.

I recommend waiting for the OEM set. Should be available before it is winter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lousy photos. The Thule mounting kit finally arrived in stock and we fitted the roof bars and ski carrier today.

Ski carrier looks narrow, but fits 3 pairs of skis.

Car also had it's winter boots Uniroyal MS+77 XL 215/60 16 99H fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
The factory rack (whether it ends up being bars or rails) attaches to mounts that are inside of the gutters on the CX-3. If you poke around you will notice that there is an insert in the gutter from the factory. From what i understand, when you get a factory rail or rack you also get a new gutter insert with the appropriate inserts to fill the gutter. That is how it worked for the Mazda3 and the CX-5.

So if you go with Thule I think you will end up having to cut up the gutter inserts yourself, or having to order something from Mazda anyways. Usually OEM racks are cheaper than Yakima/Thule. I believe that is because they fit right into a predetermined mount and you don't have to buy the three pieces you have to get from Yakima/Thule; adapt kit, feet, and load bars.

I recommend waiting for the OEM set. Should be available before it is winter.
Just checked out racks this morning. Was told and shown that most after market racks (Rhino and Thule) use the factory mounting point and don't require any more effort than the OEM units. Haven't purchased any yet to fully confirm but it appears to be kosher.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts