Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the lower rocker panel trim falling off. I washed the car on the weekend and all was good. Drove it last night to a restaurant and no issue. Today however my wife drove the car and noticed a scraping noise, didn't think much of it at the time after which it went away. She told me about it this evening and after a quick look at the car I noticed the trim was missing. No sign of any underbody damage (in case she tried to imitate Sebastien Ogier on the way) and all clips are intact. Anyone had this issue?

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
I just noticed one of my rocker trim panels was hanging low the other day on the passenger side of mine. Haven't had a chance to get under the car and see about how things fit together.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I don’t know, you Americans and terminology! ;-)

We’re talking about the plastic sill guard right?

I think they’ve modified them as they get hammered in deep snow. Let me look through my TSBs.......

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
It’s actually just the front part but I suspect it’s a similar failure mode.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
This is how you get it off and put it on.....

Attachments

Reactions: PandaG

·
Registered
143 Posts
Happened to me several months ago; now I see how it might have been damaged. The dealer claimed Mazda would not cover mine though; said the broken clips were owner caused. I called "BS" on that one and complained to the dealer Customer Support Mgr. who stated the dealer would cover it if Mazda did not.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got the car into the Mazda dealer today. Did a service and highlighted a range of issues including the missing side panel (rocker panel) trim as well as the pinch mould on the drivers side which had perished. They were OK about the pinch mould but said the rocker panel trim was my fault and could be replaced at a cost of $601.00 AUD.

I remained calm, quoted from the Australian Consumer Law act and provided the name of another owner with the same issue who I only met the other day. They then stated they would talk to Mazda Australia and see if they could do something. Watch this space I guess.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Unfortunately, I cannot readily find the part on my go-to source ... but AUD600 including labor sounds excessive, even at 1.00AUD = 0.75USD

Otherwise, if too much of a hassle with the dealer, I'd be tempted to buy the parts from a discount house and DIY (or, DIM, as it were :)

EDIT: Not cheap, just the molding itself runs around 190USD, or 250AUD ... still seems excessive for labor.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well just heard back from the dealer and Mazda are covering the cost of all missing pieces. Just have to wait a week or two for them to arrive and then be fitted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had side step sill totally fall off and I have no idea where it is (must've happened while driving?). The other side is now loose. I took it to the dealership in MD and they told me it was due to an impact (which looks true, actually) and the loose one is also likely due to impact and they won't cover it. To replace both would be over $600. I am getting used parts from a salvage yard for $100 and getting it put on by a friend. The price for this part is INSANE considering it is just plastic and plastic clips.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had side step sill totally fall off and I have no idea where it is (must've happened while driving?). The other side is now loose. I took it to the dealership in MD and they told me it was due to an impact (which looks true, actually) and the loose one is also likely due to impact and they won't cover it. To replace both would be over $600. I am getting used parts from a salvage yard for $100 and getting it put on by a friend. The price for this part is INSANE considering it is just plastic and plastic clips.

Not sure where you are located but complain to the Mazda Customer Service in your country. It is a recognised issue especially with 2015, 2016, and 2017 versions. Stand your ground and save yourself $100.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure where you are located but complain to the Mazda Customer Service in your country. It is a recognised issue especially with 2015, 2016, and 2017 versions. Stand your ground and save yourself $100.
I am usually a stand your ground type but it seems like this isn't a recognized issue (outside of this relatively short thread). I can't find anything from Mazda identifying the side sill as an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I just noticed my drivers side one has vanished again. No damage to any of the clips. This will be my 4th one I have had to buy. All on the drivers (RHS) side. Each time has cost me close to $500. There is obviously a problem here. Each time Mazda has fobbed me off to say it’s my fault as I may have hit something - even a stick! They have even suggested maybe someone is stealing the part as there is no visible damage. 3 times now it has fallen off. This time I am not accepting any excuse. It’s unacceptable that this should happen so often. I’m glad to read this thread as it confirms my suspicions. Thank You!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've replaced the trim on both sides. The first cracked just behind the dealer-installed mud flap. The one on the driver's side simply disappeared. The mudflaps were mounted to the trim and I suspect the air drag caused the trim to fail.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had to remove the side step mouldings when I installed the mud flaps. While doing so I accidentally broke one of the tabs that holds the drivers side moulding onto the bodywork below. So when I reinstalled the side step moulding I drove a small screw through the moulding and into the spot where the broken tab would hold. Once the mud flap was installed it covered the screw and the repair is probably more solid than the original.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I wish I found this thread earlier y changed the side fender and broke the side step moulding, I have a question the instructions are not clear for me, the 2 clips that holds the side mounting are inside the cover, how do I remove the piece? I need to replace the side fender un the other side, but that piece I don't want to beak it. Also the Tabs are inside the cover, so is hard yo figure out to be detached.

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, I wish I found this thread earlier y changed the side fender and broke the side step moulding, I have a question the instructions are not clear for me, the 2 clips that holds the side mounting are inside the cover, how do I remove the piece? I need to replace the side fender un the other side, but that piece I don't want to beak it. Also the Tabs are inside the cover, so is hard yo figure out to be detached.

Thanks
The tabs are part of the plastic side step moulding and go into a metal clip that is attached to the bodywork behind it. There is probably a special body tool needed to remove the moulding without causing damage. I don't have one and just tried to pull the moulding far enough away that I could attach the mudflap. While doing this I broke one of the tabs off the back of the drivers side moulding. The clip looks like a one way style that only allows the tab to be inserted, not removed. It's a design that really doesn't lend itself to removal without damage.
Instead of buying a new moulding I just drilled a hole through it where the broken tabs is located and drove a screw into the clip. Fortunately the mudflap covers the screw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The tabs are part of the plastic side step moulding and go into a metal clip that is attached to the bodywork behind it. There is probably a special body tool needed to remove the moulding without causing damage. I don't have one and just tried to pull the moulding far enough away that I could attach the mudflap. While doing this I broke one of the tabs off the back of the drivers side moulding. The clip looks like a one way style that only allows the tab to be inserted, not removed. It's a design that really doesn't lend itself to removal without damage.
Instead of buying a new moulding I just drilled a hole through it where the broken tabs is located and drove a screw into the clip. Fortunately the mudflap covers the screw.
Thanks, where did you bought the mis flaps? Maybe I will try this to hold the broken piece, now I glued it with silicone.

Enviado desde mi Mi MIX 2 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks, where did you bought the mis flaps? Maybe I will try this to hold the broken piece, now I glued it with silicone.

Enviado desde mi Mi MIX 2 mediante Tapatalk
I bought the mud flaps at my local Mazda dealer. I got both front and rear flaps because I like the look and they help keep the sides clean. Don’t remember the cost but they weren’t too expensive and fit perfectly. The rear ones require the removal of the wheel and inner plastic fender liner. Actually not too difficult and the instructions that come with the parts are pretty good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts