Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just an update on my CX-3 - Got it at the end of June and with 2500 km (1553 miles) on it we (my wife, daughter and I) just took it on a 4300 km (2672 mile) 12 day road trip to New Orleans and back. So if anybody passed a black CX-3 (with Ontario plates) anywhere East of the Mississippi in the last ten or so days, that was us.

So how did it do --- GREAT. Couldn't be happier. Comfortable, quiet, handles beautifully and we had lots of room. Folded down one of the rear seats and had no problem packing everything in. Seats are very comfortable. Engine performed flawlessly - cruised all (5-9 hours per) day at or slightly above the speed limit. Over the total trip averaged 7.6 litres per 100 km (31 mpg). Only slight issue is the fuel tank size - range is a little short - would appreciate if it was just a couple of gal. larger.

Drove the length of the Natchez Trace Parkway (440 miles) with the cruise control locked at 52 mph and just enjoyed the scenery and the car. What a beautiful park - something to be proud off.

For those lamenting the lack of an arm rest, I just want to say I didn't miss having one in the least. Nav took a bit of fiddling to get the settings correct - but once I did it works fine. Really got used to having the heads up display and would recommend to anybody to have.

Engine has lots of horsepower for this car - never felt a lack of power no matter the hill size or when pulling out to pass.

To sum it up - got home today liking the car more than when we headed off.

·
Registered
872 Posts
There is really no better way to bond with a vehicle than to take it on a road trip. I took my current car to the Canadian Rockies after purchase and it was a blast.

I agree on the fuel tank. The range is going to be awful. But at least its quick to fill I guess.

How did you like New Orleans? I go once a year, actually headed there in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How old is your daughter ?
Because with my 16 years-old daughter, we have barely enough space to put our stuff to leave a weekend !
That's why we usually use my wife's CX-5...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Grated -- thanks for the report.

Did you drive in Sport mode much? If so, how much of a mileage hit did you take?

I'm not very happy about the small tank, but I'll force myself to fill up more somehow.
It's designed to be a city and suburb car, not so much a long-range highway vehicle. Glad yours worked out.

Do any paddle shifting?

Which safety tech options do you have on the vehicle? Were they of use?

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Very interesting read. I visited New Orleans from Orlando earlier in the year in a CX5 rental. Funnily enough, we took a trip on the Natchez steam boat!

I've ordered the AWD which has a slightly smaller tank in order to straddle the prop shaft but I'm hoping the Diesel engine will give enough extra mileage to cancel it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New Orleans was great - but very warm, even the locals where complaining - Sunday when we got there it was 103 F (with a heat index of 115 - 123 F).

Smaller fuel tank basically added one more fuel stop in a day - not such a bad thing. When down to a 1/4 tank - $15.00 would fill it up.

My daughter's 27 (but short) and with the front passenger side seat at a comfortable position for my wife, she had lot's of leg room. The folded down seat was the 2/3 seat which gave us lot's of room to pack. Used soft sided bags so they could stack and even took a large cooler. The one little thing I did notice was how nice it was to have the suede panels in the door - it's right against your arm and is really comfortable. Also the seats are very good. Many hours and never got restless or uncomfortable - nice support

Never used sports mode or the paddle shifters. Didn't really need them - might have been fun on The Trace but I didn't want to pick up a ticket. My CX-3 is the Touring model with the tech package - as mentioned the heads up is great, auto wipers (only saw rain once) are handy and the auto high beams are ok. Blind spot indicators are a must have on the Inter-states. Turned the lane departure warning off as it "rumbles" a lot with just normal driving. XM radio is great for long trips - no searching for radio stations and you can listen to your regular favorites all the way.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice way to break in your CX-3 and to get to really know it, not many people do this and its definitely something that needs to be done more.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
$15 for 3/4 tank! You can't even have a sniff of fumes in the UK for $15.

Reactions: modaddie

·
Registered
304 Posts
New Orleans was great - but very warm, even the locals where complaining - Sunday when we got there it was 103 F (with a heat index of 115 - 123 F).

Smaller fuel tank basically added one more fuel stop in a day - not such a bad thing. When down to a 1/4 tank - $15.00 would fill it up.

My daughter's 27 (but short) and with the front passenger side seat at a comfortable position for my wife, she had lot's of leg room. The folded down seat was the 2/3 seat which gave us lot's of room to pack. Used soft sided bags so they could stack and even took a large cooler. The one little thing I did notice was how nice it was to have the suede panels in the door - it's right against your arm and is really comfortable. Also the seats are very good. Many hours and never got restless or uncomfortable - nice support

Never used sports mode or the paddle shifters. Didn't really need them - might have been fun on The Trace but I didn't want to pick up a ticket. My CX-3 is the Touring model with the tech package - as mentioned the heads up is great, auto wipers (only saw rain once) are handy and the auto high beams are ok. Blind spot indicators are a must have on the Inter-states. Turned the lane departure warning off as it "rumbles" a lot with just normal driving. XM radio is great for long trips - no searching for radio stations and you can listen to your regular favorites all the way.
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great ride.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
No, our gallon is bigger but we're still on about $9 for a U.S. gallon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No power seat wasn't an issue at all. I did all the driving so the seat never got moved. My wife's Ford Escape has power seats with memory that's nice to have. But I drive her car maybe 5 - 10 times a year and she'll most likely drive the CX-3 even less, so the seat's not really a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts