Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Getting ready to order my CX-3 (Base Touring) vehicle.
Need some info regarding the remote starter.

Those of you that have experience with this unit, could you tell me if the FOB has an LCD display?
Do the heated seats have a memory from the last usage (before you shut the vehicle off)?

I wouldn't mind the Phone version of the RS, but I refuse to pay the 65$ yearly "subscription fee" which, in a few years will be up to 100$ per year etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi there,

I got the key fob and yes it has an lcd display. You can use the fob to remotely start the rear defroster as well but not the seats. Good question about whether they stay on after power off, I'll try that tonight and get back to you.

One thing about the remote: It is HUGE! :( Compared to an Orbit 3rd party that also serves as your door lock control, this one you have to carry in addition to your regular key fob :( Have the dealer show it to you before you decide.

I'm with you about the smartphone service. Stoopid thing will easily end up costing you over $1000 in the long run. That was the turn off for me.

- Ben

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
The heated seats retain their last settings on mine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
@Zoom, The heated seats will start with the vehicle on whichever setting you leave them on before shutting off the Car. I have the Mobile Start through my cell phone, I am able to start the car, Unlock/Lock, turn on/off the defroster, and set the idle time. Thankfully they just had a week without service and for compensation I get 2 years free on the service. The only thing I wish they would have done was charge for the Starter and then do the service for free, However I decided it would be a benefit for me to have it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The heated seats retain their last settings on mine.
That the best thing for it to do by default since you're more than likely to want it back on again, unless you're the type of person to feel cold on spring mornings/evenings enough to want heat on... then during the day you'll want it off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, for the info.

Yeah my dealer is telling me;
You get the one remote start fob and two regular fobs.
No LCD display.
Only have to carry the one remote start fob on you.

I called Mazda and it seems there's not a lot of info there also.

Still not sure what I'll do, but I know from having remote starting on my current vehicle, it is real nice to have the car all thawed out and snow/ice free, when you need to drive away.
Also I dislike having to scrape snow/ice off the vehicle, thus preventing damage from scratches and breakage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Ben,
I see you're in Canada. Maybe you guys get different equipment with your CX-3s than we do in the states.
Could you tell me which model you have? Maybe the CX-3 with auto-climate gets a different fob.
Can you take a quick picture of your fob & post it? That would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
My FOB Picts

Hey Ben,
I see you're in Canada. Maybe you guys get different equipment with your CX-3s than we do in the states.
Could you tell me which model you have? Maybe the CX-3 with auto-climate gets a different fob.
Can you take a quick picture of your fob & post it? That would be great.
Thanks
As requested. This FOB is huge. I haven't tried but I don't think you can use it as your wireless entry key so you have to carry both. It is two-way which is nice, so you get confirmation that the car has been started. One idiotic design however is that whenever you get to your car, when you unlock or open the door the car engine will die. This is to force you to restart using the push start process. I would have expected that from a 3rd party FOB but not a genuine accessory. I would have expected a better integration. No, it's not because I'm doing it wrong. It's in the manual:

http://media.tkcarsites.com/Local/1034/PDF/CX5_M6_RemoteStart.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
@ccie5754 I think the reason they kill the starter is for security, since they are push button start. I had to get used to this too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot Ben.
And MegaThanks for the bonus manual!

I agree, I'm a little disappointed that the car shuts down when you open the door (Rampant's on to the reasoning for this I think).
I wish this could be fixed in the software. And to work like this, >remote-start vehicle, open door, and use push-button start to drive away, all without engine shut down!
My current car, a 2012 Fusion Hybrid (has no push button start, uses conventional key), when remotely started, will run until I use the key and go through all the motions to start the car. So the engine will stay running if I do this. It will shut down if the brake peddle is pushed without those key maneuvers. But at least I'm given the chance to keep that engine running. Not so with the CX 3 I guess. Does seem like a little unnecessary wear and tear on the starter battery.

And...
I just got off the phone (again) with Mazda USA and this rep said the fob does have the display like yours.
And she's double checking to see if you only need to carry the one RS fob, which would be the cherry-on-top for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know, the more I think about the one-fob scenario, ...I'm thinking it won't be.
Mazda would have to have, in that remote-start fob, all that is in your regular smart fob (electronics-wise).
Yeah it could be done, albeit with a little bit of electronics wizardry. A tiny extra expense for Mazda, which I doubt they'd do.

Hope I'm wrong though!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Zoom, My old ford focus was the same with the key. Pressing on the brake would kill the car without the key, I wish Mazda would do the same with the push start technology. I also wish the Mazda Mobile Start that I have came with an engine kill option, Just in case someone steals my car. I really hope they can do that in the future.

·
Registered
70 Posts
@ccie5754 I think the reason they kill the starter is for security, since they are push button start. I had to get used to this too.
That's what my rep told me today, but think about it: If I can unlock/open my door, it's because my wireless key is close. If the key (not the remote start FOB) is no where near, if someone breaks the window to get in then by all means kill the engine. Otherwise I don't see the point. I feel silly arriving at my car, opening the door to have the engine die, then sit down to restart it. Anyway, I guess I expected better.

- Ben

addendum: To answer the hopefuls, I just tried and no, the remote starter FOB can't be used as your door/engine start key.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's what my rep told me today, but think about it: If I can unlock/open my door, it's because my wireless key is close. If the key (not the remote start FOB) is no where near, if someone breaks the window to get in then by all means kill the engine. Otherwise I don't see the point. I feel silly arriving at my car, opening the door to have the engine die, then sit down to restart it. Anyway, I guess I expected better.

- Ben

addendum: To answer the hopefuls, I just tried and no, the remote starter FOB can't be used as your door/engine start key.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Totally agree with your comments above.

I'll bet they could change this in a software update, but probably won't, unless they get a ton of requests to do so.
It might be worth firing off an email to Mazda USA.

And Mazda did call me back confirming all you said about LCD display on fob and having to carry both units with you. I hate having extra stuff in my pockets, but I think I'll still go for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I went into my dealership today and put a deposit on my CX-3. (Still on the high seas, due to arrive soon).
I had settled on a trade-in price (below KBB trade-in value) for my current car and all seemed well until it came to the price of the remote starter (fob unit).
On Mazda's website, under "Build & Price", this option costs 550$, but the sales manager was trying to shake me down for 650$ PLUS installation fee.
I'm not sure how you can go from the "list" pricing on Mazda's own website, to this inflated figure.
Yeah, I know it's a new-release vehicle and all that BS but c'mon.

So my question to all of you is...
How much did you pay for your (Official) Mazda FOB remote starter??

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just recently had a remote starter installed. Not happy!!! They failed to tell me that you only get one Fob. Once you start the car with the remote and then open the door; the engine stops. You then have to restart the car again. I had it installed at Mazda. This cost me a whooping 900.00. To me it doesn't make sense that you have to start your car again once you open the door. You have to press two different buttons on the remote starter to start car. I have asked for them to have it removed and asked for a reimbursement. I highly doubt I will see this. Can you please let me know if you have a remote starter and what you think of it. I have the PZ170-02021. It has 5 different buttons on it; and 2 of them aren't programmed for any use. I have had 4 other vehicles with remote starters and never experienced any of these problems. They tell me its a safety feature for the engine to stop once you open the door.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My dealer told me that the Mazda prices (as seen on the website) are lower because it's cheaper to install stuff at the factory (no disassembly work required). I can understand accessory install labor possibly being more than on the website, but parts certainly shouldn't be much different.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm equally unhappy and have let my dealer know for all the good that will do. Carrying a fob the size of a brick to have the car die on you when you open the door is ludicrous and a lazy implementation. You'd expect that from a 3rd party remote starter but from the manufacturer? I was told it was for "security reasons" but if I have my key with me when I enter the vehicle, what the heck danger is there that warrants me having to restart the car?

Lazy lazy lazy.

- B

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm a bit curious :)

Being from Europe and not America, I'm a bit confused about the whole remote start thing.
Is the reason to warm the car before driving?
If that's the case, why not use one of these (instead of running the car engine):
Webasto:*Webasto parking heater: Enjoy winter, too!

This can not cool the car, so if that's the reason I can understand the remote start (although I would never install in my own car).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts