Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
They do look like a great seat and the extension part must be excellent. But the price starting at £3,000 approx (roughly $4,000) in the UK for 1 seat is out of my league, especially as I'd want to fit a pair! It does seem they do a probably far less ergonomic seat for £1,000 approx (roughly $1,300) but still with the similar seat extension capability which is more in my league :) It's just such a real shame the Mazda seat doesn't have that extension capability on the top spec models at least.

Enjoy your driving now in pure comfort

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's an outrageous price for a new one. No way was I going to spend that kind of money!

Consequently I monitored eBay, Craigslist (U.S.), etc. off-and-on for almost 6 months ... hoping to find a a good used one. I ultimately managed to find a refurbished ES for a great Buy-It-Now price.

Including a Recaro Japan adapter with sliders ... I've less than $1,000 in the whole set-up, not including my totally amateur labor and internet research time.

I really disliked the OEM seat ... I had thought/hoped it would eventually break-in, but it didn't. Of course there was never any hope for decent thigh support. So after trying out several Recaro's at Autobacs Tokyo, I had no choice (which is difficult for an economist to admit ;-) but to get a Recaro.

Reactions: Sarah

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I must admit, that looks very comfortable and broader than the original which I always felt was too narrow between the bolsters.

Nice job.

Reactions: Sarah

·
Registered
218 Posts
kinda makes you want to sleep in it lol. Looks fanstastic.
Being a bit wider, does it press up against the console very much?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Checking the Recaro brochure, it's a pity only the Ergomed (E or ES) and Sportster / Cross Sportster models are available with an optional side air-bag. I'd have been keen on a suitable pair of Recaros if Mazda UK had them as a reasonably priced option on the top of the range model, like they had once on the MX-5.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
kinda makes you want to sleep in it lol. Looks fanstastic.
Being a bit wider, does it press up against the console very much?
Thank you everyone for your compliments.

• 1st jpeg, the bottom right bolster/center console gap: with the seat at max height and all the way back, there's a full half inch clearance (deceptive in the picture as the bolster flares out).

Actually, the bolster just barely touches the console only when the seat is fully lowered and fully forward. Even this will be eliminated after I raise the whole contraption an inch or so (apologies for my colonial metrics).

Note the Anchorman's trinket tray at the bottom of the picture :)

• 2nd jpeg, you get an approximate comparison of the seat sizes. (Labels and wires to be tidied up :)

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank you everyone for your compliments.

• 1st jpeg, the bottom right bolster/center console gap: with the seat at max height and all the way back, there's a full half inch clearance (deceptive in the picture as the bolster flares out).

Actually, the bolster just barely touches the console only when the seat is fully lowered and fully forward. Even this will be eliminated after I raise the whole contraption an inch or so (apologies for my colonial metrics).

Note the Anchorman's trinket tray at the bottom of the picture :)

• 2nd jpeg, you get an approximate comparison of the seat sizes. (Labels and wires to be tidied up :)
WOW!!! That is really nice! Awesome upgrade! How hard was installation??

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
WOW!!! That is really nice! Awesome upgrade! How hard was installation??
Installation was comparatively straightforward:

• Mechanically: I reassembled the new seat (two packages shipped sea parcel post), assembled the Recaro Japan bracket and attached it to the new seat. Disconected the battery, removed the old seat, transferred the seatbelt receiver, and carefully maneuvered the new assembly into the car.

• Electrically there are three tasks: (1) routing a 20 amp, 12v supply to the seat, (2) wiring a 2.2 ohm resistor to simulate the side airbag (avoiding the SAB warning indicator), and (3) transferring the seat location sensor onto the new seat.

The Recaro has a side airbag, and I may eventually utilize it, but I had a sufficient number of variables to control in this, my first attempt at a seat swap ... so I didn't connect it.

Finally, I reconnected the battery, then stood outside the car, with one foot on the brake pedal, held my breath, and slowly depressed the power button ... no airbags deployed, no warning lights came on ... I gingerly slid into the new seat ... adjusted all the seat controls, fastened the seatbelt, closed the door, and rode off into the sunset.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice seat Mainemanx cool ?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Thank you ... apparently, I have a relatively short torso and long legs, so all the adjustments are very helpful, especially on longer trips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts