Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it there ?

I've made up a few reasons but perhaps somebody can tell me why ?

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
That is actually a great question...I never had thought about it till you guys brought it up. I'm assuming it has to do with aerodynamics in terms of straight line stability (I know it maybe a stretch and its looks so insignificant). I can definitely ask and get a definite answer as soon as possible. But I'm fairly certain its for aero if anything.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
There are lots of little design features, some of which are underneath but they all seem be to reduce emissions. I might have a pdf somewhere. I'll look tonight.

·
Registered
745 Posts
There are lots of little design features, some of which are underneath but they all seem be to reduce emissions. I might have a pdf somewhere. I'll look tonight.
The Anchorman knows and/or has a pdf for everything CX-3!

But I'm more concerned with the jackstands and the mini-sledgehammer ... possibly in the best Japanese tradition, "The nail that sticks up must be hammered down?"
I wouldn't do it until we hear something definitive. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's just where the optional mud flaps go isn't it?
Nope, there's about a two-inch gap between the top of my OEM ones and the bottom of that bump. Having the mud flaps on actually makes the bump more noticeable.

My best guess is it's some silly aerodynamic trick that mitigates turbulent air around the rear hatch at highway speeds.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Nope, there's about a two-inch gap between the top of my OEM ones and the bottom of that bump. Having the mud flaps on actually makes the bump more noticeable.

My best guess is it's some silly aerodynamic trick that mitigates turbulent air around the rear hatch at highway speeds.
Actually, mine could use a little more turbulence if that would keep the hatch a bit cleaner :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have heard that Mazda put it there so people on the CX3 users forum would ask "What is that bump for?"

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have heard that Mazda put it there so people on the CX3 users forum would ask "What is that bump for?"
Was it Miley Cyrus? "To bump or not to bump!"

Note: I first thought Gypsy Rose Lee, but NOBODY here would have known who I was talking about ... probably don't even get the "bump" pun :(

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I can’t find it amongst my many pdf’s but will look next time I go on the Mazda online manual.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I’ve found some bits and bobs but cannot find where I read about those bumps!

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'm entitled to a prize!!!

The anchor didn't answer my question on the first try :D

·
Registered
745 Posts
Amazing ... they obviously spent some time in a wind tunnel ... or maybe a computer simulation.

Also, looking at the pdfs, now I'm going to feel guilty installing a trailer hitch ... jutting down into the carefully tailored airflow. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I think I'm entitled to a prize!!!

The anchor didn't answer my question on the first try :D

If I can just find my "falling on" sword........:D

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
If they were on the front of the car, I could believe that they might be there to manage wind noise (like the specially shaped headlights on the Nissan Leaf).

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Amazing ... they obviously spent some time in a wind tunnel ... or maybe a computer simulation.

Also, looking at the pdfs, now I'm going to feel guilty installing a trailer hitch ... jutting down into the carefully tailored airflow. ;)
Its also why the OEM mudguards are so tiny - to minimise drag.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had a chance to speak with Mazda's Techline for an issue and had a chance to ask the question. According to them its for straight line stability and reduce some wind noise by channeling air there. The new miatas have something like it too above the rear wheels. So yea its an aero thing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts