Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

Its been a while since I’ve been here. Let me reintroduce myself, I’ve bought a 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS 2.0 engine, automatic trans, AWD brand new back in Sept 2015. My new car warranties have mostly expired so I’ve been trying to meticulously keep up with the oil changes now that my car is nearing 100k KM (currently at 83k... I drive for work so logging a lot of KMs)

Things that I’ve had done to the car:

- Serpentine belt change (2nd year of ownership, covered)

- Battery change (5th year... out of pocket)

- fuel pump change (5th year, covered)

- rear bumper change d/t rear end (3rdish year, covered by insurance)

- passenger side lower plastic panel replacement (had fallen out, out of pocket)

- REAR brakes, Calipers and rotors (5th year, out of pocket, own mechanic)

- rust perforation warranty (on going, took it in to be assessed + will be covered by warranty)

Anyway, planning to change the rear differential oil myself (I’ve searched a video up on YouTube) and it seems pretty simple. My question is that Mazda recommends using their factory product “Hyper gear oil SG1”... is there anything comparable to it? I guess they slapped their name to hide the consistency specifics... anyone can help a brother out! Thanks so much. Car is working great so far! Plan to keep driving this vehicle... will be switching to Tesla in the coming years...) LOL.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Had differential/transmission and transfer case fluid changed and just over 19k miles on a 2016 GT in april. Firestone used their prestone/etc branded fluids and was guaranteed to work as such. The strange thing they noted was the differential fluid looked like its had alot of mileage when in reality it did not (as I am the original owner). Have not had any issues with their version and if anything the transmission shifts smoother.

Also if I may ask, why did serpentine belt and fuelpump get changed? issue or just something else. Seems weird for it to be covered by the dealer unless a defect which has me worried now lol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had differential/transmission and transfer case fluid changed and just over 19k miles on a 2016 GT in april. Firestone used their prestone/etc branded fluids and was guaranteed to work as such. The strange thing they noted was the differential fluid looked like its had alot of mileage when in reality it did not (as I am the original owner). Have not had any issues with their version and if anything the transmission shifts smoother.

Also if I may ask, why did serpentine belt and fuelpump get changed? issue or just something else. Seems weird for it to be covered by the dealer unless a defect which has me worried now lol.
well my serpentine belt snapped (around year 2 I believe) I know weird, I think I got a malfunction warning pop up when that happened... pretty early in the car’s life... which required me to tow it to Mazda that one time... it just completely broke but they covered it under the Power train warranty...

the fuel pump... just stopped working, issue mentioned on the latter part of my story... the car literally started slowing down and stopped working. I had to press the go button a few times hoping it would turn in again.. I managed to drive to the dealership so they can check it out. But that was covered by the power train warranty.

I use my car for work a lot, I do a lot of city driving, approx 30-50+km a shift so I’m really using my car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Do you know the specifics of the gear oil they used??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Damn! That's a lot of changes/issues that cropped up. Sorry to hear.
The only thing that I've had to change (aside from items as per the service schedule) was the passenger headlight housing that annoying moisture leak ( warranty expired, so out of pocket) and then the brake switch yesterday - out of pocket. No other issues, approaching the 80 000km mark.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Do you know the specifics of the gear oil they used??
Now im starting to get a little worried. They checked my service record and no oil specs were listed on the final printout. Just 'fluid change at x' location. Ironically now they recommend the oem fluids in the system. :/

edit: After more calls apparently they did use oem fluids but in a generic bulk purchase from their supplier thats why it didnt seem official when I asked them originally what theyre using.On the bright side im warrantied against any issues from them regarding this but unfortunatly it seems like the oem mazda fluid is all the information I was able to get.

For rear diff and transfer case: "Long Life Mazda Hyphoid Gear oil SG-1" even the bottle is ambiguous enough to have absolute no other information besides the title unfortunatly.
A/T fluid: "Mazda ATF-FZ "

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Damn! That's a lot of changes/issues that cropped up. Sorry to hear.
The only thing that I've had to change (aside from items as per the service schedule) was the passenger headlight housing that annoying moisture leak ( warranty expired, so out of pocket) and then the brake switch yesterday - out of pocket. No other issues, approaching the 80 000km mark.
Nice!!
Yeah unfortunately do I A LOT of city driving for work... but fortunately the major fixes (serpentine belt + fuel pump) have been covered by warranty.
My plan is to have a car starter installed before winter hits... cause I HATE coming into a cold ass car in the morning lolol.

I’m glad there are other higher mileage owners in this forum. It’s nice to compare and contrast experiences.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now im starting to get a little worried. They checked my service record and no oil specs were listed on the final printout. Just 'fluid change at x' location. Ironically now they recommend the oem fluids in the system. :/

edit: After more calls apparently they did use oem fluids but in a generic bulk purchase from their supplier thats why it didnt seem official when I asked them originally what theyre using.On the bright side im warrantied against any issues from them regarding this but unfortunatly it seems like the oem mazda fluid is all the information I was able to get.

For rear diff and transfer case: "Long Life Mazda Hyphoid Gear oil SG-1" even the bottle is ambiguous enough to have absolute no other information besides the title unfortunatly.
A/T fluid: "Mazda ATF-FZ "
Yeah, they conceal the specifics to keep Mazda owners coming back for their overpriced changes but is probably like Prestone brand or what have you. I’m going to go to my personal mechanic for advice, I read in this forum, 80w90 is close to the real thing but I’m unsure. Link below. Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yeah, they conceal the specifics to keep Mazda owners coming back for their overpriced changes but is probably like Prestone brand or what have you. I’m going to go to my personal mechanic for advice, I read in this forum, 80w90 is close to the real thing but I’m unsure. Link below. Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1
Logically speaking unless something is specifically formulated for a precise part then it seems like its likely to be more "universal" to a point.

For example our 08 nissan sentra cvt transmission fluid and will void all warranty if not used or replaced every 30k miles basically leading to all the cvt failures nissan experienced during this time since no regular consumer thinks of doing this within first few years. This I would consider a must use oem speciality part/fluid. Even Firestone mechanic didnt want to risk anything and phoned the dealer for the fluid given its previous record.

But since this is for a wide range mazdas across years and such and to my knowledge I have not seen issues with the diff/oil anywhere, I would imagine its more of a scheme to keep consumer buying oem parts. At most they have a special blend of additives which they wont disclose.

For piece of mind and probably remainder of drivetrain warranty,it's probably best to go with their fluid anyways. Over here the price is almost the same as aftermarket type oil for diffs etc so why not. Hopefully its not too much different for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Logically speaking unless something is specifically formulated for a precise part then it seems like its likely to be more "universal" to a point.

For example our 08 nissan sentra cvt transmission fluid and will void all warranty if not used or replaced every 30k miles basically leading to all the cvt failures nissan experienced during this time since no regular consumer thinks of doing this within first few years. This I would consider a must use oem speciality part/fluid. Even Firestone mechanic didnt want to risk anything and phoned the dealer for the fluid given its previous record.

But since this is for a wide range mazdas across years and such and to my knowledge I have not seen issues with the diff/oil anywhere, I would imagine its more of a scheme to keep consumer buying oem parts. At most they have a special blend of additives which they wont disclose.

For piece of mind and probably remainder of drivetrain warranty,it's probably best to go with their fluid anyways. Over here the price is almost the same as aftermarket type oil for diffs etc so why not. Hopefully its not too much different for you.
So I called up my dealer and they said the Mazda hypoid oil is selling for $39.99 CAD. My own mechanic will charge me $60 for the transfer case and differential oil change... so it’ll cost roughly $125 altogether. A steal in my opinion.

But yeah, I’m going the OEM route... my mechanic said it’s most likely 75w90 they’re using cause it’s synthetic and because of the harsh weather conditions in Canada, it would withstand the climate.

·
Registered
510 Posts

This seems to be the only thing Ive seen that actually says its a replacement for the hyphoid sg-1 in differential and transfer case for mazdas. Numbers are a bit different than the previous post but it comes up when you search the cx-3. Not sure if theres a difference in the mazda oem product code but it states to replace Mazda K020-01-SG1. Ill keep looking around haha, this thread renewed my interest in alternatives since I discovered by goto mechanic shop has new people and the old trust between me and the place is now evaporated when the new service tech spent 5 min going through my history trying to find something to upsell me on lol now its diy only route for now on.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Also idk how I ended up in germany but I believe atf-fz trans fluid alternatives exist.

Note: Note sure how prices compare to oem but just looking for alternatives as a start.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Also 2 quick things to double check, do you have the automatic with the 2.0 gas engine? Or manual/diesel? The reason I ask and also incase others come to see this for reference in the future is because Im strictly going off of auto-2.0 gas engine specs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

This seems to be the only thing Ive seen that actually says its a replacement for the hyphoid sg-1 in differential and transfer case for mazdas. Numbers are a bit different than the previous post but it comes up when you search the cx-3. Not sure if theres a difference in the mazda oem product code but it states to replace Mazda K020-01-SG1. Ill keep looking around haha, this thread renewed my interest in alternatives since I discovered by goto mechanic shop has new people and the old trust between me and the place is now evaporated when the new service tech spent 5 min going through my history trying to find something to upsell me on lol now its diy only route for now on.
haha FFreal, I have an old mechanic who worked in the industry for 20+ years sooo he’s always looking for alternatives. Anyway, I updated the car specs on the OP. Hopefully it helps people and the product you posted has the exact description as the one my mechanic was referring to... so very high chance it is that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts