Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for the European/Australian/NZ/Asian members of this Forum. If it has been asked and answered previously, my apologies for asking again but I couldn't locate the discussion. I am wondering about the purpose of the lamp assemblies in the rear bumper; I suspect they are high-intensity fog lamps that we North American car purchasers aren't entitled to. Are they just that, or are they also connected to the brake light circuit? How many of the segments actually have a lamp inside? I'm thinking I would like to have them operational on my car, even as extra tail light and brake light units.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a question for the European/Australian/NZ/Asian members of this Forum. If it has been asked and answered previously, my apologies for asking again but I couldn't locate the discussion. I am wondering about the purpose of the lamp assemblies in the rear bumper; I suspect they are high-intensity fog lamps that we North American car purchasers aren't entitled to. Are they just that, or are they also connected to the brake light circuit? How many of the segments actually have a lamp inside? I'm thinking I would like to have them operational on my car, even as extra tail light and brake light units.....
In Australia they are reflectors. There are requirements under Australian Design Rules (ADR) that require reflectors at certain locations at the rear of the car. Other markets may differ but that's what mine are. Brake lights are in the main taillight housings along with the running lights and indicators. Additionally there is the centre high mount stoplight above the rear window.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You may want to add your location to your profile so we know where you're located.

anchorman posted some info on the rear fog light. I've not seen them function as brake lights but with the right modification, anything is possible.

http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/53906-post3.html

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
They are indeed fog lights. Our regulations in Europe mandate that all vehicles must be fitted with at least 1 and 2 are acceptable. The switch must be such that they always default to off and it is an offence to use them if not foggy. It is also an offence to wire them to the brake lights.

Might have a photo somewhere.......

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Here's we go,

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
The last generation of Mazda 3's had available aftermarket "active" reflectors that one would wire to the brake lights and/or driving lights (can't remember if they were dual function - I think they just came on when the driving lights were on). Perhaps one of those companies will offer the same for the CX-3. I kind of like the "fog light" as employed on Anchorman's (ex) CX-3. There are a few areas in the US where this would come in handy (San Francisco, for one) but Texas is not one of them...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My thanks to all who responded to my post. They do act as reflectors in my Canadian-market vehicle, but I thought I could (might) get a bit creative with them. Fog is not a great concern, generally speaking, here in Alberta but the lamps might be advantageous in snowy conditions. I'll check the Federal and Provincial regulations, of course, to ascertain whether there any restrictions regarding their use as auxiliary lamps. As a fog lamp, it certainly is noticeable. Thanks, Anchorman, for your photo.
Thanks again to everyone for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts