Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surpassed 1,000 miles on our CX-3 this weekend. We are averaging 34.5 MPG in mixed driving -- 80% highway, 20% city. I have to be pleased with that since the EPA estimates are 27/32 for the AWD. I certainly hope the AWD isn't just a badge they slap on it :) How can you tell it engages or is active really? Other than hopefully noticing how it drives better in the snow when winter comes...

I have to say that the AWD gas tank capacity is too small. Even getting the great mileage we are getting, the range for the CX-3 is only about 360 miles. If it got the EPA estimates, that range would drop down another 20 - 25 miles which isn't great range per tank. I've noticed the trip computer is very conservative and I believe it calculates the distance to empty based on 11 gallons, not the 11.9 gallon capacity.

It is a very comfortable car to drive, even on long trips. There is very little about this car I don't like and we are really happy with our decision.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Surpassed 1,000 miles on our CX-3 this weekend. We are averaging 34.5 MPG in mixed driving -- 80% highway, 20% city. I have to be pleased with that since the EPA estimates are 27/32 for the AWD. I certainly hope the AWD isn't just a badge they slap on it :) How can you tell it engages or is active really? Other than hopefully noticing how it drives better in the snow when winter comes...

I have to say that the AWD gas tank capacity is too small. Even getting the great mileage we are getting, the range for the CX-3 is only about 360 miles. If it got the EPA estimates, that range would drop down another 20 - 25 miles which isn't great range per tank. I've noticed the trip computer is very conservative and I believe it calculates the distance to empty based on 11 gallons, not the 11.9 gallon capacity.

It is a very comfortable car to drive, even on long trips. There is very little about this car I don't like and we are really happy with our decision.
Thanks much for the report. You sound like happy owner.
Wondering now how the fwd real world figures wil do.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Thats great news! 360 miles to a take would be a joy for me as I currently get about 220 in my 14.5 gallon tank lol. But agreed, should be a bit larger on the CX-3.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The small gas tank is the one big negative for with this car. Well,the car has little room inside as well but i knew that before buying. The gas tank was a surprise. I guess my last car had a really large gas tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is great to hear. I have noticed a moderate uptick in fill ups. Mix of 60/40% highway to city driving currently, but I've been getting 31mpg so I'm not worried. But after going from once a week fill ups to about every 5 - 6 days, I'm wishing for a slightly larger gas tank. I've also been doing more driving since it's such a fun ride, but that's fine. We'll see how Baystate fairs on her first roadtrip to the Baystate this coming weekend.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sounds like you're getting decent mileage. It's a city and suburb car by design so the gas tank size is in some ways justifiable.

Good question over how to tell whether you really got AWD or not. Anyone here know?

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the videos! Some of the comments for the first video talk to the possibility that the AWD system only engages when it detects it needs to. That might explain the above expected MPG since we are not using AWD around here during summer.

Also, the trip computer seems to be learning from the average MPG it calculates. The distance to empty has been increasing on each subsequent fill up as the average MPG over the lifespan of the vehicle has been increasing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I wouldn't pay much attention to MPG accounting until after the 600 mile recommended break-in period.

The AWD engages when needed based on 20 some-odd points of input.

Per the Australian Mazda site (which blows away the North American Mazda sites on information alone):

Active Torque Split (ATS) All-Wheel Drive
The all-wheel drive system achieves a fine balance between sporty control and handling stability on snowy or wet surfaces, or under other challenging road conditions, that makes it particularly enjoyable to drive. Power and torque are effectively transferred to the road surface for maximum efficiency and performance.

The system uses real-time input data on steering angle, yaw rate, lateral G force and engine status to determine road surface and driving conditions. The active torque coupling mounted in front of the rear differential is electronically controlled accordingly, adjusting front/rear wheel torque distribution between 100:0 and 50:50 to deliver optimum drive power to each wheel. The result is powerful acceleration and positive handling regardless of constantly changing road conditions, as well as the ability to fully balance the car in a turn by deft use of the accelerator pedal.

And here's the Cliff Notes version:

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5306390_mazdas-split-wheel-drive-work.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After 2,000 miles we are seeing 35 combined mpg with our AWD GT. That is about 75%/25% highway/city driving. It's a pleasant surprise to get that MPG for a vehicle rated 27/32. I'm wondering if others are seeing the same.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Here's my break down so far.

My car: 2016 CX-3 Touring AWD
My location: Milwaukee, WI (617 ft above sea level)
Temperatures ranged between upper 50's to mid-70's Fahrenheit while driving.

Tank #1 - Dealer filled up when I took delivery
Date: 9/5/15
Odo Reading at delivery: 5 mi
Notes: Left for road trip to Illinois immediately after taking delivery.

Tank #2
Date: 9/6/15
Odo: 294 mi
Fuel: 9.149 gal
MPG: 31.6
Notes: 95% highway driving, some of it spirited.

Tank #3
Date: 9/13/15
Odo: 550 mi
Fuel: 9.816 gal
MPG: 26.1
Notes: 75% city driving, some spirited driving

Tank #4
Date: 9/20/15
Odo: 766 mi
Fuel: 8.250 gal
MPG: 26.2
Notes: 75% city driving, some spirited driving incl. occasional use of Sport mode and manual shifting.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Got mine last weekend of August.
I'm hovering in the 20s (miles per U.S. gallon) but doing overwhelmingly stop & go city/suburban driving with rare, brief, highway trips. Have not hit the 600 mile mark yet and not that close to it as I mostly only drive on weekends.

·
Registered
63 Posts
HI
My CX-3 (120 bhp, gasoline with manual transmission) has more than 7000km on the clock now. I drive the majority of kilometers on highway (but usually in heavy traffic with a lot of stop and go) so not really the best conditions for good fuel economy. However, so far i'm quite impressed with consumption. According to Mazda this model should average on 16,9 KM/L but in my case the result is around 9% better.

I use Spritverbrauch berechnen und Autokosten verwalten - Spritmonitor.de and the corresponding iOS app to monitor fuel consumption. On average i have managed 18,69 KM / liter even with plenty of A/C usage and driving with trailer.

Details: Mazda - CX-3 - CX-3 120 HK - Spritmonitor.de

Are any of you using similar programs to monitor your fuel economy ?

·
Registered
327 Posts
HI
Are any of you using similar programs to monitor your fuel economy ?
No, I make a note on my iPhone when I fill up and then put the data into an Excel spreadsheet when I get home or at work. I keep the spreadsheet in my Dropbox account so I can access it anywhere. I've got it setup to calculate a bunch of potentially interesting information related to costs of operation.

It'll even keep track of how many miles you're putting on each set of tires. Particularly useful if you swap between summer/winter tires and you're like me and lose track of how many miles are on your Blizzaks from one year to the next.

I've attached a copy of my spreadsheet in case anyone else wants to use it. Feel free to play with the formatting or adding other information to it if you like. I'm in the US, so it's setup to use US Dollars, miles, and US Gallons for all my calculations.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've attached a copy of my spreadsheet in case anyone else wants to use it. Feel free to play with the formatting or adding other information to it if you like. I'm in the US, so it's setup to use US Dollars, miles, and US Gallons for all my calculations.
Thank you for that spreadsheet. Put it on my OneDrive and will key it in during my lunch breaks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
One note on the spreadsheet, though. The MPG calculations will be wrong if you put in gas without filling it. Say you run the gas gauge down to E and are short on cash and only out in $10 to get you by until payday. The spreadsheet will think you went a couple hundred miles on 3 gallons of gas. If you then fill up at your next stop, it'll look like your fuel economy took a big dive.

My suggestion is to make a note of it anytime you do less than a complete fill-up in the Service column so yo'll remember later why the number looks odd. One way you can somewhat correct this in the spreadsheet is to roll up the total fuel amounts, costs, odometer readings, etc. from all partial fill-ups into the next complete fill-up. This will have the effect of making it look like you have a larger fuel tank, which will throw off the miles/tank calculation. Miles/tank is sort of a hokey number anyway and is only valuable if you put in a similar amount of gas every time and only when you fill up completely. Rolling up the costs of partial fill-ups into the next complete fill-up will give you a more accurate MPG calculation which is a more important number to know.

Example:
Hypothetical numbers here. Odo readings are 500 miles (previous complete fill), 800 miles (5 gal partial fill), 950 miles (5 gal partial fill), 1100 miles (10 gallon complete fill).

Combine the last three readings into a single entry using the last date and odometer reading. So your entries go from 500 miles to 1100 miles on the next line. It'll look like you have a 20 gallon tank and drove 600 miles on it for 30 MPG. Miles/tank shot up to 600 miles on that tank, but again... Hokey number anyway.

If you don't want to do all that, the lifetime numbers will work themselves out correctly, but the individual entries will simply look out of place. Statistical outliers like that are okay to leave in there if you can explain the cause.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It seems as though everyone is getting numbers right around what they should.

i know that a lot of people use Fuelly in order to keep track of emissions collectively. Have you guys thought about putting your info there?

Mazda CX-3 Mileage | Fuelly
That's a good mention, just about everyone put their numbers up on that site. What makes using Fuelly even better is the ability to display that information in your signature, but i'm not sure how people do that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts