Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone can add some thoughts to the fuel economy of FWD vs AWD.

I know there is a little extra weight with the AWD, but if you are on a flat highway, won't the AWD spend most of the time in FWD mode, and therefore get almost the same mileage (Not 10% less as the ratings show)

Then again, when the EPA test cycle is run, I would think the AWD car would default into FWD mode and reflect this?

Just thinking about this lately, anyone ever see or read any tests on this topic?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Unfortunately you can not see the average speed on spritmonitor. (only in your own profile) I like the link you sent there; Santa. The other Gasolin driveres must spend a lot of time in city traffic or really drive fast on highways to use so much fuel. I'm still averaging around 9% above Mazdas forecasting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unfortunately you can not see the average speed on spritmonitor. (only in your own profile) I like the link you sent there; Santa. The other Gasolin driveres must spend a lot of time in city traffic or really drive fast on highways to use so much fuel. I'm still averaging around 9% above Mazdas forecasting.
I can see your average speed, just need to click on the end icon on each line, surprised to see mine there, don't know why I was surprised though :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can see your average speed, just need to click on the end icon on each line, surprised to see mine there, don't know why I was surprised though :D
HI Gus

that only counts for your own ave speed. You can not see it for other users - i cannot figure it out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an AWD Touring with Premium pkg with just under 600 miles on it. I've been driving it to and from work right now, which is about 20 miles each way. Currently getting 28.7mpg on the last 2 fillups.

I won't deny I have had some fun in Sport mode a few times. :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
2259.6 miles driven on 80.128 gallons. 28.20 mpg. Approximate 60% highway and 40% city. I drive the CX3 like my Miata. The CX3 shifts crisply at the red line... ask me how I know.

I attempted to maximize gas mileage for one tank with soft starts and easy throttle inputs. Averaged 31.6 mpg. Not as much fun :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
How accurate is the fuel monitor? I've not ran a full tank on the highway but on trips that have been 100% highway, It's indicated between 33-34 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Bear in mind mine is diesel but the monitor is extraordinarily accurate - maybe less than half mpg out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My computer indicated gas mileage is within one mpg of the calculate mileage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How accurate is the fuel monitor? I've not ran a full tank on the highway but on trips that have been 100% highway, It's indicated between 33-34 mpg.
I think under normal conditions it is very accurate so Mazda should not experience any fuel/emissions scandals like Volkswagen since the monitor does what it claims if not better slightly.

I own a FWD CX3 and on a recent highway trip I achieved 5.8 Liters per 100km and the owners manual states 6.1 Liters per 100km. The conditions were warm weather 33 Celsius (91 Fahrenheit) good road surface speed limit of 100 km/hr (62 Miles per hour) and very lightly loaded with just myself, a small backpack and full size spare tyre instead of the space saver. Total distance to achieve this was just under 700km (435 Miles) 95% of time on the highway and the other 5% in built up city/town areas.

Also kept the car for most of the time on cruise control which seem to deliver just the right amount of power which aided in bringing fuel consumption down. I also used the sport mode when overtaking large trucks but to be honest unless you are limited in overtaking space the engine has enough power to overtake without sport mode.

It was actually quite funny watching other drivers on the highway underestimating the engine power of the CX3 as you could mistake it for a Mazda 2 from behind for those not familiar with the new car. Had a few silly drivers attempt to overtake me but they pulled out at the last minute in the face of oncoming traffic when they realized they are not overtaking a weak powered Mazda 2 but a powerful new compact SUV.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't do much highway driving however I've been extremely happy with my CX3's fuel consumption.

On the roughly 150 km trip from Sydney to Newcastle I travel to see my parents the fuel monitor was indicating 4.9L/100 Km at it's best however tended to indicate 5.2L/100 Km (average). Converted that's 48 - 45 MPG.

That's the FWD 146Hp engine with the 6 speed manual (so slightly lighter than the FWD auto you can get in the US).

·
Registered
3 Posts
40 MPG? Is this on a gas or diesel engine?

I just did a pretty tame run from DC to Philadelphia and back and barely got over 30 MPG.

This is on a US GT AWD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts