Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re: i-ELoop feature

Hello All

Bought top of the line unit with including the extra cost GT-i ACTIVESENSE package.
Still trying to figure out just what are all the toys that I got!
:)
The quick instruction book talks about a capacitor based gasoline saving gizmo, named i-ELOOP. The larger book makes no mention of it.

Do I have one of those? Does any USA based car have one?

I would appreciate your help.
Peter

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Mazda cx3 is pretty fuel efficient as is but it would be nice to save even more. You'd think it'd be a standard since the Mazda 3 and 6 already has it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's only worth about 1 mpg, a small percentage if you're already managing mid-30s. What real-world mpg have owners been experiencing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
the 1.5 diesel my parents are driving is getting from the 1 and 2 tanks of fuel

1st tank (city) some short freeway runs included
6.3Litre / 100klm

2nd tank (city) some short freeway runs included
6.2Litre / 100klm
1.5 US Gallon / 100MI
1.3 UK Gallon / 100MI

·
Registered
277 Posts

6.3Litre / 100klm

6.2Litre / 100klm
1.5 US Gallon / 100MI
1.3 UK Gallon / 100MI
Good mileage but;

6.2L/100klm=
1.64 gal U.S./100klm=
1.64 gal U.S./62mi=
2.65 gal U.S./100mi=
37mpg.

Not 1.5 U.S.gal/100mi =66.7mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts

6.3Litre / 100klm

6.2Litre / 100klm
1.5 US Gallon / 100MI
1.3 UK Gallon / 100MI
are you have i-eloop?

·
Registered
893 Posts
They should add a start/stop engine feature too! That would save me a lot of gas.

·
Registered
212 Posts
They should add a start/stop engine feature too! That would save me a lot of gas.
It has given me total of 400 m (~ 1/4 mile) of extra range during first 5000 km. Start/stop system is useless in winter conditions.

Average fuel consumption has been 6,3 l / 100 km.
On purely highway driving 5,7...5,8 l / 100 km.

I have 2.0 gasoline awd with manual transmission.
It has both i-eloop and start/stop.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My start/stop has given me 10.2 km over 9000 km. Average is around 6.4 l / 100 km and it's 2.0 120hp with auto transmission and without i-eloop.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Why did North American versions not get stop/start?? Believe me with my commute, it would save me so much gas. My car is probably spends more time idling in traffic than moving haha.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Why did North American versions not get stop/start?? Believe me with my commute, it would save me so much gas. My car is probably spends more time idling in traffic than moving haha.
I have no idea....it doesn't make sense, unless there is some weird law preventing start/stop in cars sold in north america.
It works flawlessly and is quick to restart the engine thanks to Mazda using a slightly different system than most other car makers.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have no idea....it doesn't make sense, unless there is some weird law preventing start/stop in cars sold in north america.
It works flawlessly and is quick to restart the engine thanks to Mazda using a slightly different system than most other car makers.
No, there are cars here with start/stop feature. They were popular a few years ago when it was new. A salesman once told me that people tend to dislike it, so maybe that's why Mazda decided not to include it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
From what I was told that the start stop system was not preferred by Mazda customers. At the same time from engineers I spoke to, they mentioned that with the mpg we get from these new engines that it wouldn't be a significant benefit to incorporate this system overall. I was also told and was also taught this in school that these start/stop systems are somewhat complicated and although engineered to be as hassle free as possible, start/stop causing significant wear on components. Honda Accord Hybrids seem to have issues with their start/stop so I'm guessing Mazda just didnt want to deal with that, just as Mazda has no plans on using hybrid tech from toyota as it is shown that real world mpg are no where near its rated mpg even when adjusted to real world conditions. Not worth the hassle basically.

·
Registered
134 Posts
From what I was told that the start stop system was not preferred by Mazda customers. At the same time from engineers I spoke to, they mentioned that with the mpg we get from these new engines that it wouldn't be a significant benefit to incorporate this system overall. I was also told and was also taught this in school that these start/stop systems are somewhat complicated and although engineered to be as hassle free as possible, start/stop causing significant wear on components. Honda Accord Hybrids seem to have issues with their start/stop so I'm guessing Mazda just didnt want to deal with that, just as Mazda has no plans on using hybrid tech from toyota as it is shown that real world mpg are no where near its rated mpg even when adjusted to real world conditions. Not worth the hassle basically.
Snoogie,

1. From what I was told that the start stop system was not preferred by Mazda customers.

Who told you that, Mazda!?
Mazda uses diferrent markets for different stuff, you dont have start/stop Europe/Asia does, etc, etc...

2. At the same time from engineers I spoke to, they mentioned that with the mpg we get from these new engines that it wouldn't be a significant benefit to incorporate this system overall.

Again, Mazda uses this tehnology in some markets.

3. I was also told and was also taught this in school that these start/stop systems are somewhat complicated and although engineered to be as hassle free as possible, start/stop causing significant wear on components.

Who told you that. Every car maker use this. Bmw, mercedes, Audi, toyota etc,etc...

4. so I'm guessing Mazda just didnt want to deal with that,...Not worth the hassle basically.

Again, mazda has this option and it works great.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm really starting to dislike how fragmented Mazda is. It seems like they're giving free reign to their regional offices to do whatever the hell they want. To be honest it seems like there are more differences than similarities between the same model in different regions. This is not cool, Mazda.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm really starting to dislike how fragmented Mazda is. It seems like they're giving free reign to their regional offices to do whatever the hell they want. To be honest it seems like there are more differences than similarities between the same model in different regions. This is not cool, Mazda.
Every car company does this. They're reacting to local conditions.

On stop / start, it requires a stronger starter, which adds weight and cost. It might also require an upgraded battery. Ford charges $295 for it as an option. At that price the payback is a long, long time and many people wouldn't want it even if it was free.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Every car company does this. They're reacting to local conditions.

On stop / start, it requires a stronger starter, which adds weight and cost. It might also require an upgraded battery. Ford charges $295 for it as an option. At that price the payback is a long, long time and many people wouldn't want it even if it was free.
You're right. Auto stop/start does require a special deep cycle battery to handle the frequent draws on the starter. Crankshaft and rod bearings also need work to due to the increased loads during start and stop. This is why Ford charges for it. If a manufacture doesn't have a special charge, the cost of components is built in so you're paying regardless. At least Ford gives an option.

Ive driven several BMWs with the feature and was terrible. Quite jarring and I can't believe it was signed off on. Its also not affective in hot or cold weather.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You're right. Auto stop/start does require a special deep cycle battery to handle the frequent draws on the starter. Crankshaft and rod bearings also need work to due to the increased loads during start and stop. This is why Ford charges for it. If a manufacture doesn't have a special charge, the cost of components is built in so you're paying regardless. At least Ford gives an option.

Ive driven several BMWs with the feature and was terrible. Quite jarring and I can't believe it was signed off on. Its also not affective in hot or cold weather.
You will have a hard time finding a car without Start/Stop in Europe, at least here in Denmark. Even the cheapest Fiat Panda has Start/Stop.

As I understand it, the system that Mazda uses is slightly different than what others are using.
Here is a description:
http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/i-stop

The CX-3 is my first car with Start/Stop and I have to say it works very well.
Even with temp. around freezing. Luckily I have the auto transmission, so it's even easier, all I have to do it press a bit harder on the brake pedal and if the system is ready to stop the engine, it stops (on the manual You need to put it en nuetral and release the clutch). When I want to drive again I just release the brake pedal and the engine springs to life. It's actually so fast, that the engine starts before I have moved my foot to the accelerator.
You can keep an eye on the system in the economy app in the infotainment system. You can see if the engine, battery and a/c is ready for it be used.
I do agree that You most likely won't earn the extra spending back if You need to pay extra for it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts