Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I bought my CX3 in December and I'm loving everything about it except like everyone else the gas tank is a little small for me. When I fill up my info usually says I can go 300 miles on a tank. When I bought it I thought it could go for about 320 on a tank and that would make more sense then 300. Also after I start driving my gas distance will go from 300-295 in like one mile. I'm just wondering if everyone else has their distance calculate to 300miles per tank of gas when they fill up?

·
Registered
872 Posts
The miles to empty will fluctuate based on your current mpg average. Totally normal.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Mazda!

·
Registered
272 Posts
this will make you feel better, I am only getting about 260 miles from the last 4 full-tank fill ups.

Some forum members are apparently getting ~360 miles / tank ....

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yeah it's crazy, mine calculates around 300 miles when I fill up but then it wildly changes as I drive. It normally tells me I'm about to run out of gas and have about 30 miles left when I've driven about 200-220 miles depending on how I drive. This super conservative estimation gets on my nerves.

·
Registered
256 Posts
At my last fill up, the car had driven 610 km (379 miles) on 39.87 l which is about 6.54 l/100 km or 43 mpg UK / 35.97 mpg US.
It normally says the range is around 610-650 km when it has just been filled up.

I have to say it's only front wheel drive (not AWD), with automatic transmission and it's the 120hp version of the 2.0 petrol engine, although I don't think it's that different to the 150hp version.

My overall average is around 13% below the average stated by Mazda (in the EU), which I'm quite happy with :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been driving my CX-3 GT AWD about two weeks now. The first tank got 24 miles per gallon. It was a mixed driving between city and highway (50%/50%). The indicator says the range is about 300 miles when I filled it up. I'm okay with the gas mileage but the gas tank is too small. Should have made it at least 14 to 15 gallons (probably 13 usable gallons) so that it can get at least 400 miles on highway.

Previously I had a 2010 Civic Si Coupe and it also has a small tank compared with its gas mileage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
HI
as stated many times in this forum, I average 8% longer/ gallon than Mazda estimates according to EU standards. Meaning that on 22 fuelings and 15.380 kilometers I have averaged 43,6 MPG. I drive economical - rarely exceeding 100 Km/h and accelerate carefully. Never revving to the red-mark.

I use Statoil Miles 95 Octan that is estimated (in their commercials!!!) to improve milage with 2,7%

Gasoline consumption: Mazda - CX-3 - CX-3 120 HK - Spritmonitor.de

·
Registered
275 Posts
HI
as stated many times in this forum, I average 8% longer/ gallon than Mazda estimates according to EU standards. Meaning that on 22 fuelings and 15.380 kilometers I have averaged 43,6 MPG. I drive economical - rarely exceeding 100 Km/h and accelerate carefully. Never revving to the red-mark.

I use Statoil Miles 95 Octan that is estimated (in their commercials!!!) to improve milage with 2,7%

Gasoline consumption: Mazda - CX-3 - CX-3 120 HK - Spritmonitor.de
That's the best way to drive. I found it helpful to identify an RPM range that is just good enough to get up to speed with the flow of traffic and stick to that. Best rule of thumb to follow.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Remote start often.
cold enough weather for 10-15 minute warm ups.
crappy slippery roads, and plenty of short trips and city driving.

28 mpg and that's imperial gallon not US gallon. :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was averaging 8.2L/100km, it has a 45L tank which works out to about 550 km which is equivalent to about 340 miles. Note that a good chunk of this is highway driving.. Though definitely not driving in a fuel efficient manner...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was averaging 8.2L/100km, it has a 50L tank which works out to about 610 km which is equivalent to about 380 miles. Note that a good chunk of this is highway driving.. Though definitely not driving in a fuel efficient manner...
When my fuel meter runs out of yellow bars, it takes approx 36L to get it full again. Assuming the tank is infact 50L, that means theres a reserve of 14 liters?! this seems a bit much

·
Registered
44 Posts
When my fuel meter runs out of yellow bars, it takes approx 36L to get it full again. Assuming the tank is infact 50L, that means theres a reserve of 14 liters?! this seems a bit much
Apologies it's actually a 45L tank, I was looking at the FWD version, so a reserve of 9L. Though I have put more then 36L in the tank when it's empty empty :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
At my last fill up, the car had driven 610 km (379 miles) on 39.87 l which is about 6.54 l/100 km or 43 mpg UK / 35.97 mpg US.
It normally says the range is around 610-650 km when it has just been filled up.

I have to say it's only front wheel drive (not AWD), with automatic transmission and it's the 120hp version of the 2.0 petrol engine, although I don't think it's that different to the 150hp version.

My overall average is around 13% below the average stated by Mazda (in the EU), which I'm quite happy with :)
Goodmorning, I have the same car and my average is almost the same as you have.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the AWD version and after 1000 miles I am averaging around 26mpg. I'd say this is lower than I expected but I do live near a river and in a valley in the middle of mountains, so I think this is pretty good!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gas left when empty warning light goes one

My wife is a chronic empty warning light ignorer. After our first fill-up with her new CX-3 she drove for a while and one evening came home upset because she'd finally noticed the lit fuel warning indicator. She had bumped the INFO switch on the steering wheel from RANGE to MPG and had failed to interpret the hard-to-read linear fuel readout. When I reset INFO to show RANGE it showed only ten mile left. Yet the manual states that 2.3 US gallons of the 11.9 gallon tank on our AWD vehicle are left when the warning light comes on. 2.3 gallons is more than ten miles of driving. So, how much can we safely drive once the warning light comes on before running out of gas? 2.3 gallons should give over 50 miles of driving before running out. Right?

·
Registered
193 Posts
My wife is a chronic empty warning light ignorer. After our first fill-up with her new CX-3 she drove for a while and one evening came home upset because she'd finally noticed the lit fuel warning indicator. She had bumped the INFO switch on the steering wheel from RANGE to MPG and had failed to interpret the hard-to-read linear fuel readout. When I reset INFO to show RANGE it showed only ten mile left. Yet the manual states that 2.3 US gallons of the 11.9 gallon tank on our AWD vehicle are left when the warning light comes on. 2.3 gallons is more than ten miles of driving. So, how much can we safely drive once the warning light comes on before running out of gas? 2.3 gallons should give over 50 miles of driving before running out. Right?
I agree. The tank reserve once the low fuel light illuminates is conservative and one could probably squeeze out an additional 50 miles before walking. However, running out of gas in a newer designed vehicle is not like running out of gas in an older car. Many years ago, I emptied my 1967 Dodge Dart at least 10 times. Put a gallon in and it started up without a problem. However in the newer vehicles one may not be so fortunate. One big difference is the fuel pump location. In the newer cars the fuel pump is in the gas tank and running out of gas can damage the pump. Gone are the days of simply adding a gallon and squirting some gas into the carburetor.

Snoogie.... What say you? Can damage occur from running the CX3 tank dry?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a AWD Touring with premium package. I drive about 85% highway averaging 75-80mph on the long stretches. So far I've been tracking my mileage with Fuelly since day 1, and I'm currently averaging 28.7mpg. Best tank was 30.2mpg. I also haven't put in more than 9 gallons. I used to be able to fuel up once a week, but now I'm refueling everying 4 or 5 days.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You should never go below a quarter tank,on all my cars I have done this since 1973,,,my wife is average ing 27.9. She's does mostly city driving as of late

·
Registered
272 Posts
You should never go below a quarter tank,on all my cars I have done this since 1973,,,my wife is average ing 27.9. She's does mostly city driving as of late
what is the reasoning behind this?

My understanding is that if you absolutely deplete your tank, air pockets may be sucked into your fuel lines / injectors?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts