Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder that the cx3 setup for the washer fluid reservoir is placed awkwardly to the point it wont get heated by engine bay and that my bug remover washer fluid i use in the summer froze solidly in 31* F weather(even though its rated for 0 degrees..?) completely locking up my washer spray. I thought the pump or fuse blew since no noise or movement was detected. Even the plastic cable thing in the washer cap was stuck which was strange considering there was like a cup of fluid left that froze but looked more like it melted stuff together.

Didnt even realize this happened to me before in 2016 as i found my self in an old post about this same issue. Strange enough it took two days in above freezing temps to get functionality back even with fresh fill of deicer so logic and warmth isnt applicable here as much as one would think.

So keep the fluid topped up with reliable products to avoid dumb moment's like mine.

Now that i think about it, using walmarts wiper fluid probably wasent a good idea since they probably over add water and being so little left it just succumbed to ice. Oh well

·
Registered
179 Posts
Living in Canada I only ever use washer fluid that is rated to at least -35*F. I've found that the regular winter fluid works fine to get rid of bug debris in the summer and I don't have to remember to drain and replace the fluid between the warm and cold seasons.
BTW, the best way to remove dead bugs in the summer is to soak a towel in water and place it over the dried remains. Let it sit for several minutes to soften up the guts and wipe away. Works like a charm on my motorcycle windscreen.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it was my first time trying bug remover variety washer fluid and it still didnt do much difference in general. Figured worth a shot since i moved to a much more foresty area and have removed a small segment of the bug population this summer with my windshield but apparently its no different than water lol. at least hand cleaning the glass with a towel and spray will always work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yea it was my first time trying bug remover variety washer fluid and it still didnt do much difference in general. Figured worth a shot since i moved to a much more foresty area and have removed a small segment of the bug population this summer with my windshield but apparently its no different than water lol. at least hand cleaning the glass with a towel and spray will always work.
I always wondered if that bug cleaning mix worked as well as claimed. Good to know that it's no more effective that anything else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Living in Canada I only ever use washer fluid that is rated to at least -35*F. I've found that the regular winter fluid works fine to get rid of bug debris in the summer and I don't have to remember to drain and replace the fluid between the warm and cold seasons.
BTW, the best way to remove dead bugs in the summer is to soak a towel in water and place it over the dried remains. Let it sit for several minutes to soften up the guts and wipe away. Works like a charm on my motorcycle windscreen.
Whenever we go up to Maine for a few days (in winter) my windshield wipers do not work, actually they work but no fluid comes out, a little dribbled out on the right. Do you think that I have to drain it all and put in -35 degree fluid in order for it to work and not freeze. I know it was not drained before adding -22 degree fluid. It was really cold this past weekend too, like 10 degrees. It works fine now that it is 34 degrees in New York. I also wish it held more fluid. Please advise! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Whenever we go up to Maine for a few days (in winter) my windshield wipers do not work, actually they work but no fluid comes out, a little dribbled out on the right. Do you think that I have to drain it all and put in -35 degree fluid in order for it to work and not freeze. I know it was not drained before adding -22 degree fluid. It was really cold this past weekend too, like 10 degrees. It works fine now that it is 34 degrees in New York. I also wish it held more fluid. Please advise! Thanks so much!
If your windshield washer was working before you went up to Maine, then the fluid you are using doesn't have a low enough freezing point. The stuff you have in there is either freezing in the lines, or right at the tip where the spray comes out. Using a fluid with a lower freezing point should cure this problem.
However, you can also have the tips freeze up with stronger fluid if you just washed the car. Water tends to get into the tips and sit there, then freeze. The trick is to give the washer a quick shot to clear any water out before it has time to freeze.
The washer reservoir easily holds a 4 litre (1 gallon) jug of fluid when empty. Even though that is a lot more than many cars I have owned previously, I always carry an extra jug of washer fluid with me when travelling. I like to keep my windshield clear and this tends to use a lot of fluid and I've run out before in an area where I really needed a refill!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your windshield washer was working before you went up to Maine, then the fluid you are using doesn't have a low enough freezing point. The stuff you have in there is either freezing in the lines, or right at the tip where the spray comes out. Using a fluid with a lower freezing point should cure this problem.
However, you can also have the tips freeze up with stronger fluid if you just washed the car. Water tends to get into the tips and sit there, then freeze. The trick is to give the washer a quick shot to clear any water out before it has time to freeze.
The washer reservoir easily holds a 4 litre (1 gallon) jug of fluid when empty. Even though that is a lot more than many cars I have owned previously, I always carry an extra jug of washer fluid with me when travelling. I like to keep my windshield clear and this tends to use a lot of fluid and I've run out before in an area where I really needed a refill!
Terrific! Thanks so much! As it was, I usually always get my car washed before going north, so I am sure that added to the frozen water issue. I appreciate the tips and hopefully next time up we can have a clear windshield with no frozen fluid!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts