Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Also keep in mind if there is an issue with order or item you gotta pay like $70+ ish to return it back to china which was unfortunate when I had to return the screen replacement version but better than losing 400+

·
Registered
21 Posts

I'm assuming this is the same unit, just pretending to be something else. I just purchased a 2020 CX-3 which already has android auto & carplay, but the basic garmin-sized dash screen really bothers me. It's also positioned off center which is strange.

I know that this was mainly for the CX-3 models without the factory screen, but the original uploader mentioned this works in any car and retains all factory system settings.

So as long as carplay still works, that's all I really care about personally :D.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That listing is kind of misleading. The only way it can retain all oem systems is if it still uses the oem box and just swaps out the screen with a wider screen unit with a sideloaded android os that runs through aux audio as i experimented with on another post. This looks like a full replacement and albiet very overpriced lol identical to the Chinese units on aliexpress for half the price. If it uses carplay youre relying on its own variation of it which is very hit or miss and is nowhere near as stable as mazdas version on the oem unit. Also there will not be usable reverse camera without running your own wire and probably camera. (You can use the camera retention hardware i listed in earlier post but youll still need the reverse trigger). Also the command knob control is not going to be the same as mazdas, no navigating with the knob youll be solely using it for volume, next/prev, and app launches in the os thats outside of carplay.

I dont mean to be a downer but these are the realities of any aftermarket unit for the cx3 no matter what the seller advertises. Its not bad persay but definitely different if youre used to mazdas oem setup.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sad reality is they all get from same drop shipper factory and try to advertise different things like they hand wrote the code for it. Mazdas oem system is very closed source and mazda io hacks aside, anyone selling software that uses mazdas actual code (if it were to actually retain anything oem wise like lights, hud,cmu knob etc) mazda would fight to shut it down overnight most likely

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Now that i have more free time Im going back to this project and redoing the screen mount while I setup a aftermarket knob control and usb port. Speak of the usb portion, i ordered a used spare box of the oem USB/sd card part of the dash that someone had left over when they upgraded to mazdas android auto component. I tried to attempt to retrofit the usb slots individually to work as an extension of the new headunits usb ports but after soldering hell, i ended up drilling a hole and shoving a usb extension adapter through it. Most barbaric attempt at something that ended up better than originally thought. Now onward to the command knob.

(If pictures dont upload through mobile ill redo on pc later)

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Another pic dump. Was awkward as heck trying to remove the old sdcard/usb oem part and to those installing android auto yourselves on mazdas oem unit, jfc good luck there. Got new usb ports connected and ran to the new unit above.

New bracket jb welded together instead of the cursed putty epoxy which didn't work last time so thats all set. Couldve probably done a L bracket connection off of the unit box itself and might actually consider that on future if removal of metra trim breaks again.

Regarding wires, the entire harness mess actually fits behind the box where the old screen used to be and thankfully the single din body slides in perfectly into the metra base and can be as near or as deep needed. A little double sided gorilla tape is enough to stop sliding and keep it secure instead of mounting to the metra base which would involve full removal if ever replaced. Much more efficient than my shove everything in the glove box idea.

Reverse wire ran from previous application off of the rear backup light and oem backup cam was kept. Honestly now that i had more time to use it the oem cam isnt that bad especially on a much better and bigger screen.

Audio quality is definitely improvement.

Gps app is better than mazdas and depending what you use (i use sygic with offline navigation maps on an old grandfathered in account before they went to new subscription model) you can also use carlink implementation for wired or wireless carplay/aa and do your own thing from there but from a privacy perspective, i prefer things open source and degoogled or at least offline.

Steering wheel control/command knob situation will be addressed in another update in the future but i have both steering wheel buttons retained and the new knob unit connected to key 1 and key 2 respectively and will have to figure out a mapping procedure to configure that properly. Id rather use the new knob than steering wheel buttons but thats my preference. Mounting the new knob is gonna be the challenge since my original idea didnt have enough clearance to diy a baseplate. But ill rig something up in the future with my grinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Joyingauto website. This is probably my 4th unit ive purchased from them and the android 10 units are much better specifically for the "eye comfort" blue light filter which makes it much more pleasant to look at. Ive had good experience here and havent had to try other brands especially since theyre the only ones with removable/relocatable screens ive seen so yea that brought me to this point lol. One thing to point out no matter what the ui looks like, its a android launcher ui which youre almost always better off installing another one and configuring it to your needs and style. But again the key point here was the relocatable screen. This is an extreme diy case and tbh it would probably be easier to buy one of those chinese aliexpress units with a makeshift proprietary knob but i found it easier since all joying units use the same plugs so when i upgrade in the future i can transfer every single connection and reuse mounts which was an important factor imo

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Last two for now of final screen install. Next will probably be knob mounted somewhere, not sure where or when yet so back to radio silence while I brainstorm possibilities in time.

Regarding wallpaper, theres opensource software on fdroid that lets you set gifs as background wallpapers and this gif is from r/gifwallpapers just scroll down a bit. Mobile isnt letting me access sub on browser because corporate cringe to redirect you to their own app but you get the idea.

Fdroid link if forum allows

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So theres an additional hurdle that I missed since I was working in a noisy environment and if you turn the car on to ACC power only (motor off but everything powered) theres a electric whine in the engine bay thats unrelated but masked a certain noise.

Im not sure how this will effect other units but i tried the 3 different aftermarket headunits i had laying around and even redid wiring and grounding, and there is still a electric hiss from the speakers related from the bose amp. Looking up online its either a gain issue or an amplified power signal issue coming from the headunit itself. I took the amp out of the car and theres no visible way to adjust the stock bose amp. Its been tuned to specifically work with mazdas convoluted cmu's digital spaghetti mess of a signal so unless you go extra overload to correcting the amp issue you will forever be annoyed by the fact there's a defect and hissing noise which you can hear between songs or even when music is off. If you have a cx3 without the amp you should be good, but my previous experience with bose headunits lead me to think that unless there's an easy way to bypass it with minimal damage /splicing then its probably best to keep the oem mazda headunit. My reluctance on bypassing the amp is that (from my limited and frustrating bose experience) bose typically has different tuned speakers meant to purposely receive a signal from the amp specifically meaning you have to dump money on a pricey adjustable aftermarket amp or redo entire speak system setup and wiring which im not willing to pursue either at this point.

Ill probably cap the project off here and maybe return to it incase i break other stuff or mazdas unit fails but this is the current state of Mazda's system.
Bose sound unit = bad for aftermarket headunit
Regular base speakers = ideal for aftermarket unit

21 - 36 of 36 Posts