Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Pot Holes

6K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  DJ9999 
#1 ·
Any idea what the life epectancy is for the tires & wheels on the GT might be? Here in NYC (FDR Drive, Belt Pky, Cross Bronx, ect) the pot holes beat the junk out of tires. There isn't very much tire between the rim and road to cusion the blows. Just curious. Thanks

#3 ·
I've heard some purely anecdotal statements that the tires' life expectancy is extremely short, but there's really no way to make a factual analysis because everyone's driving conditions are different. That said, the 18" tires will definitely be worse on rough roads than the 16" ones.

#6 ·
I'm worried about it too. Roads are horrendus here in Boston. My m3 has low(ish) profile wheels and i've only had one issue in the past 11 years. Shop hammered the rim back for $20 and it's fine now. Have to weigh the costs and benefits of having the 18" wheels. Not sure it's worth the insurance because a new stock wheel isn't THAT expensive, and it's rare the wheel will get damaged beyond repair.

#8 ·
Honestly, if the roads werent so bad around here, i'd probably go with a WRX. Suspension is SO tight on those i just cant do it... Even the mazda 3's are just a bit too tight for me. I think the cx3 suspension is perfect for bad roads without sacrificing sportyness

#13 ·
Seattle has terrible roads also. Plus with our rain they fill the holes and you can't tell if its just a shallow puddle or a massive sinkhole waiting to swallow your vehicle.

The 18" wheels have pretty meaty tires. I had a GTI then a BMW with much narrower sidewalls (35 series on 19" wheels). Never had a tire blow or a wheel fail when I've slammed into some pretty severe ones. I'm very optimistic the CX-3 with cushy 50 series aspect ratio tires and good suspension travel will take a decent beating.

Reactions: Dave
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.