Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 18" aluminum GT wheels with the gun metal finish.

Any recs for polish? ordinary car wax?

special waxs?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I use tar remover and soluble degreaser to get them clean.

I used Meguires Gold Class on my wheels but a very knowledgeable friend of mine says Collinite is better.

Reactions: drs88

·
Registered
872 Posts
Since most of the wheel surface is paint, I used the same wax I applied to my CX3's surface (Griots best in show wax). Because brake dust is so corrosive, I clay bar my wheels more frequently than I do the paints surface before I wax. I haven't done this with the CX3 yet but have on previous vehicles.

Because I drive so little, I only do this a few times per year. If I drove more, I'd clean and wax my wheels every other month.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
just as a heads up i recently received a technical service bulletin from mazda to ensure that no one uses cleaners that have strong acids or alkalies in them as it will stain and/or damage the clear coat. just want to make sure that this gets out if this was not mentioned before as this affects all models and years since 2004 and the 2016s were just added to the list.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Simple Green is bio-degradable, non acidic, non staining or alkaline.

I have used this product on wheels from the 80s to today including painted, clear coated and powder coated without issue. Thanks for the warning Snoogie.

Reactions: blitzebill

·
Registered
234 Posts
Simple Green is bio-degradable, non acidic, non staining or alkaline.

I have used this product on wheels from the 80s to today including painted, clear coated and powder coated without issue. Thanks for the warning Snoogie.
i can vouch for the simple green as i use it at work at my shop as well to clean customers wheels and have had no problems...and it makes my bay smell really good

·
Registered
451 Posts
just as a heads up i recently received a technical service bulletin from mazda to ensure that no one uses cleaners that have strong acids or alkalies in them as it will stain and/or damage the clear coat. just want to make sure that this gets out if this was not mentioned before as this affects all models and years since 2004 and the 2016s were just added to the list.
That would eliminate "Crud Cutter" that can clean like nothing else but if you get it on anything delicate like your skin you lose a layer or two! I wouldn't use stuff like that on anything but a garage floor or driveway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have painted alloys on my current car, and waxing them never crossed my mind. I'll definitely do that on the CX-3, especially if it makes them easier to keep clean.

The mag wheel cleaner I have claims it's safe to use on all alloy wheel types and finishes, but also warns not to leave it on for longer than 1 minute, so I'm thinking I'll avoid using it just in case. I'd hate to mess up my brand new alloys.

Thanks for the heads up Snoogie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts