Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've dipped my wheels several times, front grill on a couple Saabs, and emblems. A word of advise is make sure you do a LOT of layers; otherwise it is not fun to remove. It is really easy to do and looks great when done well. I am not sure how the front emblem will looks seeing as the rest of the grill has chrome tips. Wouldn't it just look like a black hole?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I cannot get the badges removed so the plasti-dip shall be applied with the badges on the car. I have never used plasti-dip before and have practiced on a few garage items. What lessons learned... Plasti-dip tips... Can propose share. What would you do differently the second or third time around? Thanks in advance for all replies!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I cannot get the badges removed so the plasti-dip shall be applied with the badges on the car. I have never used plasti-dip before and have practiced on a few garage items. What lessons learned... Plasti-dip tips... Can propose share. What would you do differently the second or third time around? Thanks in advance for all replies!

Have you visited "dipyourcar.com"? Tons of videos/tutorials.

Like idbrian" said, lots of layers, try to do this in a garage if possible. If you can't use a garage make sure its not windy outside. The great thing about plastidip is that you can mess up and try it over and over until you get it right. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've dipped my wheels several times, front grill on a couple Saabs, and emblems. A word of advise is make sure you do a LOT of layers; otherwise it is not fun to remove. It is really easy to do and looks great when done well. I am not sure how the front emblem will looks seeing as the rest of the grill has chrome tips. Wouldn't it just look like a black hole?

@idbrian, I agree that it may just have the same effect as a whale shark after I black out the logo. That is the beauty of the plastidip, you can change it so easy :) I was even thinking of trying the glow in the dark version for that logo.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just youtube or google Plastidip Emblems. I did a method where you leave a gap around the emblems and a toothpick to pick out the dip between emblem parts. Also i recommend taping on newspaper, etc, about a foot out from the emblem to minimize overspray. Do many layers and make sure that you put a equal amount of Plastidip on the emblems, in between the emblems, outside of the emblems, and on the tape outside of the emblem. That is crucial for being able to peel away excess correctly. At least 4 good light layers. Light layers with 10 minute dry times.

All in all it easy, fun, and works well. When I did it before it looked perfect for two years after. You can't even tell they are dipped.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just youtube or google Plastidip Emblems. I did a method where you leave a gap around the emblems and a toothpick to pick out the dip between emblem parts. Also i recommend taping on newspaper, etc, about a foot out from the emblem to minimize overspray. Do many layers and make sure that you put a equal amount of Plastidip on the emblems, in between the emblems, outside of the emblems, and on the tape outside of the emblem. That is crucial for being able to peel away excess correctly. At least 4 good light layers. Light layers with 10 minute dry times.

All in all it easy, fun, and works well. When I did it before it looked perfect for two years after. You can't even tell they are dipped.
Yup, did exactly this. On more than one car including my CX3.
The more layers you apply, the easier it becomes to remove the over spray bits.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts