Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Plasti-Dipped Badges

Not sure if anyone here has used Plasti-Dip, but I was wanting to black out my Badges on my CX-3 and was getting quotes around $80 to do it. I did some research and bought 2 cans of this product. I did Black on the ones on back and I did blue on the main grill badge so it would stand out. If anyone is looking to do this, it is really easy and can be peeled off with ease!
the first two were taking in the garage, The last two are outside in the sun.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's what exactly what I was going for (lack of time as always), but with paint instead of dip.
Was planning on blacken the "Skyactiv" tag, but put the inner text in red (color match).

But the front logo is what I was going for ... if I can find some time between job, wife, daughter and friends o_O'

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks CX-ME. Red, the nice thing was it didn't take too long at all to do it (But I understand time must be a premium for you with all that going on :) ). I actually need to re-do the front one as some peeled off when I was removing the excess. I did Skyactive one on mine as it was all Chrome and Black writing in mine. I will actually be removing the back Mazda logo within 2 weeks once my Evil M logo shows up.

All You need to do on the front is to tape off the area before spraying (only so you don't get your radiator with the spray) I deal with anxiety and I was really nervous when spraying as you do spray it right on the paint as well. However if you spray it heavy enough it peels off with ease.

I will attach some pics of what I did :)

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Product looks to work extremely well. I would have done black on the front as well I think, but that's just personal preference. It looks great.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not a fan of how it looks but for my opinion, I would either tint the badge with a light tint film or make it matte black with plasti dip

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is what I like about the product, I can peel it and re-color it pretty easy :)

I went with the blue to see how it would look on the front, wanted to make it stand out proud on the black. I may still go black like the back badges too.

All personal preference, that is why we all do the little mods we do :) have to add some personality to our cars.

I may order a "STITCH" lettering for my CX as well, then matte that one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think the best part of this is that it looks good and also is very cheap to do. You could change it to whatever color you'd like pretty often since it really isn't that expensive.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think the best part of this is that it looks good and also is very cheap to do. You could change it to whatever color you'd like pretty often since it really isn't that expensive.
I had a Mazda 3 for a day and was surprised at all the people that thought of it as a much more expensive vehicle, just goes to show how well Mazdas new design is

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can't do it

I can't do it to my front one on my CX-3 because it is covered in plexi and has a lot of technology front viewing things inside it. If it was covered up I wouldn't be able to use the auto cruise system that slows down if someone in front of me slows down. If they speed up again, it will go back to the preset cruise speed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FirstOne, I hear ya. I didn't realize that they had that as well, Mine is the regular badge. I do not have any of that kind of that tech in my CX-3, I wonder if you could do a window tint on yours?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have anyone removed the front badge before applying the plasti-dip? It feels like there are four or five pins which may be clipping the front badge into the grill. Have anyone got the front badge off? If so, how do you remove the badge and what holds it on?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@OneLyveWyre We just taped up the front one best we could to spray it down. Not sure how to take the front one off though. Good luck if you figure it out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can't do it to my front one on my CX-3 because it is covered in plexi and has a lot of technology front viewing things inside it. If it was covered up I wouldn't be able to use the auto cruise system that slows down if someone in front of me slows down. If they speed up again, it will go back to the preset cruise speed.

Are you sure you have these features? Did you specifically order it? I thought all the GT's that came out were similarly spec'd. Mine did not comes with any of the front camera options. Nor did it have the auto high beams, which probably also use the forward camera. Also, i thought the forward camera and tech was up behind the rear view mirror (and probably the two circular spots on the bumper). All of these features are listed in the manual as optional.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Rampant - good job on the plastidip work. I've used this plenty of time on my kids car and even my own. I wonder if the wife will notice if I did it to her Cx3... :D

Did you use a glossifer? In one of your pics, the CX3 badge looks a little shiny. Usually the plastidip gives off more of a flat black / matte look. Either way, it looks good.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rampant - good job on the plastidip work. I've used this plenty of time on my kids car and even my own. I wonder if the wife will notice if I did it to her Cx3... :D

Did you use a glossifer? In one of your pics, the CX3 badge looks a little shiny. Usually the plastidip gives off more of a flat black / matte look. Either way, it looks good.

Thanks Ohgeez! First time using it, I deal with Anxiety and was stressed I was going to eff up my paint haha. I am happy with how it all turned out, The front one may get changed up soon, I may go black on that too. I didn't use the glossifier (Maybe the way the light hits it)

I am sure your Wife won't mind at all ;) Do some ninja plastidip work and wait for the fallout haha

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks Ohgeez! First time using it, I deal with Anxiety and was stressed I was going to eff up my paint haha. I am happy with how it all turned out, The front one may get changed up soon, I may go black on that too. I didn't use the glossifier (Maybe the way the light hits it)

I am sure your Wife won't mind at all ;) Do some ninja plastidip work and wait for the fallout haha
That was the plan.

She has seen me use this on other things in the garage and she at least knows that if it doesn't look good, all you have to do is peel it off. :)

Here s a pic I did of my son's Passat. We have since sold that and now he's got a 2015 Fusion that he wants to black out as well.

I love playing with this stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Passat looked Good @ohgeez

I think I may black out my front emblem next week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts