Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Buffalo after work yesterday and picked up the wheels. I did a quickie check at the place where they were before bringing them home.

Today at home I did a more in depth check of the wheels and I did notice 1 issue.

First some pics. Once again these are 17x8" +40 Matt Bronze and will work on the CX-3 or my SX4.

They feel pretty light........I'll do a weigh in later an post up the #, suppose to be like 17lbs. according to Motegi.

The issue(s): 1 wheel on the drop center it looks like someone at the plant tried to put a quality sticker there before the paint has cured then removed it and it took off a chunk of the paint finish. The rest of the wheels look fine.

I did contact the vendor where I bought the wheels and obviously because it's in an area where you can't see it once the tire is mounted it doesn't look like anything will be done. I'm sorta ok with it but still you pay decent money for something it shouldn't have any imperfections whether you see it or not.

2.) There are two allen head bolts that hold the center cap on each wheel. On 2 wheels someone at the plant tighten the crap out of those little bolts and it was a pain to remove them to check the area behind the center caps. Even when I screwed the bolts back in by hand they don't turn easily so I think the threads there are slightly mucked. I can fix that with a tap but again why do I have to mess with it? They really shouldn't even be on the wheel from the factory.

3.) This pretty well answers why I have the above happen...................wheels are made in China I don't need to say anything else about that (a wheel line named for a Japanese racetrack should be made in Japan), RPF's are looking pretty good now at least they are made in Japan (only if I wanted to spend an extra US$100 more a wheel).

Overall, I'm happy with them they look pretty good now they go in the basement and wait until I get a set of my other wheels sold on either car then I can use these bad boys.

Tony

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Nice looking wheels. What tires are you planning for them again?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't decided on a particular tire brand yet I just basically have the sizes sorted out for now depending on what car they will go on.

Since I run winter tires on both cars whatever tire I pick for these wheels will be a summer tire with decent grip dry and wet. I won't be looking for super sticky meats or anything for either car they wouldn't be able to take advantage of the stickiness of the tire no matter what.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I haven't decided on a particular tire brand yet I just basically have the sizes sorted out for now depending on what car they will go on.

Since I run winter tires on both cars whatever tire I pick for these wheels will be a summer tire with decent grip dry and wet. I won't be looking for super sticky meats or anything for either car they wouldn't be able to take advantage of the stickiness of the tire no matter what.
I really liked the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires I had on my Infiniti. They're on my short list for my '3.
You might have to go with a weird size but IIRC you know how to figure that out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had B/stone S02's on my new at the time 96 Pontiac Formula. That was the OE tire on Porsche Turbo of the time. If it was good enough on the Turbo it was good enough for me.

I'm currently using B/stone RE050's on the Z06, very good tire in the rain and dry. I'll consider the S04 when the time comes.

I like using this site to figure out wheel/tire sizes:

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

This is what it shows for the CX-3:

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

and for the SX4

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Cman,

I used this site when comparing Tyre sizes on my CX3 when purchasing the 19" Simmons Wheels, its very handy as you can just input the Car details in the search bars and it does all the work, then it has a option to put in other sizes to compare also.
I found it very helpful, as you can also see what Speedo differences between the sizes will do prior to buying.

I hope this is of some help for all.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Darren

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Well, since we're sharing tire size calculator links...

My favorite is this one because there's no extraneous graphics and limited ads. Also I used to own an NA Miata.
Tire size calculator

That said, I like all the extra info from Tony's (Cman's) link.

Something I noticed when swapping my wheels yesterday: the OEM 18x7 wheels are freaking heavy. My snow wheels are 18x8 ASA JH-3 (a.k.a. Sport Edition A7) and I know those are ~25 lbs without tires. Lifting the two back to back (with tires), they were easily within 10% of each other.

Mazda put so much effort into fuel economy and handling with these cars it really makes me wonder why they didn't do a little extra work to shave 5 lbs of unsprung weight at each corner.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had mentioned in another thread that I run 2 RPF1's 18x10 +38 on my Shelby when I drag race. Just for shits and giggles since those wheels have the same bolt pattern (5x114.3mm) as the CX-3 if the wheel were to fit on this car it also would have almost pretty well the same tire height as OE.

You would be running some monster meats (for this car anyways) and hope you only go in a straight line and not have to turn the wheel at all. LOL!!!!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Holy crap, 18x10's for a drag race? I always thought you wanted to bias the contact patch longer rather than wider for drag.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, you want the widest rear tire that you can fit while running the narrowest tires up front to reduce weight. Ideally you also want as tall a sidewall as possible in the rear tires so it really flexes hard during a launch. You also would like to run slicks instead of drag radials which is what I run.

I run those 18x10's only because my model Shelby has larger rear brakes vs. the earlier models and 15" wheels don't fit. Certain 17" wheels might clear my rear brakes but the RPF's didn't (I had tried test fitting one).

I'm not a serious drag racer anyways. I do it the odd time for fun I get my kicks more doing lapping days on road courses so my cars are never set up to drag race I set them up more for the previously mentioned discipline.

Trailered my car down to Daytona last December and checked off another bucket list item:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update

Looks like I'm set up to have someone show up tomorrow and take my Suzuki alloy wheels. I am meeting him at my friend's place so he can dismount my new tires and mount his tires on those wheels that he will buy.

So I guess you are all thinking that the Traklites will go on the SX4............................WRONG!!!!! I changed my mind about which car they will go on once I make a sale and even though the Suzuki wheels are sold I will still put the Motegi's on the CX-3.

Basically this is what's gonna happen. I will take the dismounted tires (pretty well new bought this past summer) from the SX4 alloys that are sold and mount them on the OE CX-3 wheels and use that on the SX4 come spring. I will get tires for the Traklites for the Mazda (along with hub rings and wheel nuts) and I will have a set of Factory 16" Yoko's FS once I get to that point. I will find hub rings to fit the Mazda alloy wheel to the SX4 hub (67.1mm Mazda wheel down to 60.1mm SX4 hub).

I get the money tomorrow for the wheels first before implementing the above.

Tony

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have any pics of the Traklites on the CX-3? I have a CX-3 in the same colour and have been interested in those exact wheels for quite some time. I would like a slightly greater offset though... someone near me has a mint set of RPF1s, 17x8 +35. I'm thinking that widening the track would kill some of the body roll.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.