Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have owned over 50 cars in my lifetime and my CX3, though I love the car overall, has to have some of the worst paint of any of them... The clear coat is visibly very thin and it scratches VERY easy.
Admittedly, I have calloused hands, but if I just drag my finger tips along the paint it shows scratches that I have to use at least a cleaner wax to get out.

I am an avid, diy detail-guy and I have lots of good polishes, waxes, applicators and towels (1Z, Chemical Guys, etc..) but even after a 6 hour hand application, the shine isn't that impressive on this car...

Anyone else have opinions on the quality of the Mazda paint job??

·
Registered
745 Posts
Young lady slammed her door into my right rear door crease ... 3/8" dent ... ARGHHH! $100 and 20 minutes for the paintless dent repair shop ... clearcoat damaged but rubbed out ... MAGIC!

I don't think the Ceramic Metallic will ever have much of a shine.

Your only choices may be to either wrap it or visit The Gunman ;-)

·
Registered
745 Posts
BTW, the dealer put a clear vinyl on the front of mine ... halfway up the hood, the front bumper, and the mirrors. Seems to have held up well so far.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
IMO, paint has always been a weak point at Mazda.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I recall seeing somewhere that Mazda were proud of developing a "new, fewer-number-of-steps" paint process. I wonder if it's too thin, too thick, too soft, or ?

There is a surprising number of YouTubes on the subject, with particular emphasis on the (in)famous Soul Red.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recall seeing somewhere that Mazda were proud of developing a "new, fewer-number-of-steps" paint process.
I hope it's not like the Chrysler/Dodge shortcuts in the 80's where they tried to get away without primer. As I recall this is why whole chunks of paint would fall off these cars. :laugh:

·
Registered
451 Posts
My last car was a Forester and I can remember lots of discussion in the Subaru forum on the lousy quality of the paint they use at Subaru.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe it's a Japanese thing... Lol. My wife had a Camry a while back and that thing's paint was horrible, too.

My previous car was a 2016 Jeep Wrangler, and despite the visible paint flaws (clear coat drips and thin areas behind the door hinges) it had an incredibly thick clear coat with a deep luster and it did not scratch easy at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So given how some are complaining about the durability of the paint, any suggestions about how to protect it? A particular product to apply to the surface? I've got the Soul Red Metallic paint on my 2017 CX-3

·
Registered
745 Posts
Good coat of wax ... vinyl wrap the bow ... cinders and stones on Finland's roads?

Or, don't worry about it, enjoy the ride and if it eventually gets unbearable, wrap the whole flippin' thing :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
So given how some are complaining about the durability of the paint, any suggestions about how to protect it? A particular product to apply to the surface? I've got the Soul Red Metallic paint on my 2017 CX-3
You are right to be concerned. I also have a Soul Red 2016 GT and immediately had 3M paint protective plastic panels placed over most surfaces. I say "most" intentionally. The surfaces that are not protected are now pitted with stone chips. But to be honest, I should have ordered a grey Mazda (or the best colour that matches the primer that Mazda uses most closely.) The trouble is that I live on a gravel rural road and should have been satisfied with staying with my old 2009 Forester until they get around to hard topping the roads out here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts