Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my first post here and I need your advice (obviously on a Mazda CX-3). It is a second-hand import car and the dealer says there is no known damage history. This ‘paint damage’ is present at the rear of the car. In addition to the fact that the bottom comes loose and moisture comes in, you can also see a dark smudge above it. See the photos below. Does anyone have any idea what happened to this car (repainted? damage?) and how this piece is able to come off?

Lip Automotive lighting Gesture Finger Petal

Automotive lighting Paint Rectangle Orange Asphalt

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
653 Posts
As far as i know, the rear is a single piece with the black plastic joining the painted portion much like the fronr bumper. This looks like either a rare poor manufacturing defect which i havent seen anywhere else but you never know when one off piece in factory ends up being janky; or the bumper is aftermarket with bootleg paint job. Unfortunately you will only be told of reported big accidents reported through insurance if even. Most low end damage (like backing up into a rock wall or something or tree whatever) is never reported if its cheaper to fix yourself or at a known shop.

This looks like a improperly prepared paint job if the paint and clearcoat is peeling off the bottom like that. Sort of like oil/grime was present and adhesion didnt catch and is peeling up. Its very unlikely it could happen from factory because youd see it in alot more areas since when factory defects happen they happen in a consistent manner usually until caught.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Only other explanation would be the panel is joined together by glue and is failing which seems extremely unlikely but who knows really. Because is the first time ive seen an issue like this reported since release of the cx3 i would not chaulk it up to factory error just yet.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just read the" import " part of your post now lol. This is kind of a red flag for me considering ive come across alot of cases where totalled ('destroyed' when cost of repairs is more than worth of car) cars are title washed, repaired and sold over seas as "newish" conditions hiding history of damage. Unfortunately you wouldn't know unless you run a vin check on international sites if its even reported then :/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your elaborate response to my question @SlyCoopers. It makes sense that it is highly likely an improperly done paint job to cover up damage to the back side of the car. Someone else mentioned to me that the damage might not have been repaired at all and that it has just been painted. The Mazda dealer that imported the car assured me that there was no history of damage (but as you say they only have to mention the big damages that are repaired via insurance) and was even surer the car wasn’t ‘painted over’. I didn’t expect this from an official brand dealer.

Do you know if there is any way to check whether the bumper is aftermarket? And what site do you use to check the international VIN code?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correction, the dark smudge/stripe you see is not the cause of improper painting. It is only appearing with rain so the darker hue is likely caused by moisture building up, which disappears when it is dry. I just noticed this today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts