Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the OEM supplied P215/50R18 Yokohama Avid S34s with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 P225/45R18s. Quieter, more dry an wet grip and overall worth the investment. My local tire shop gave me $75 each trade-in for the Yokos and the shop was running a $100 rebate on the Michelins. I also use AS3s on my Miata during the cooler months as the Pilot Super Sport summer tires turn into traction losing hockey pucks below 50 degrees. Probably the best initial change one can make... Get good tires!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Replaced the OEM supplied P215/50R18 Yokohama Avid S34s with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 P225/45R18s. Quieter, more dry an wet grip and overall worth the investment. My local tire shop gave me $75 each trade-in for the Yokos and the shop was running a $100 rebate on the Michelins. I also use AS3s on my Miata during the cooler months as the Pilot Super Sport summer tires turn into traction losing hockey pucks below 50 degrees. Probably the best initial change one can make... Get good tires!
You know......I was just thinking about the tires on the GT model. The stock Yokohamas don't get very good reviews.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Yokos are average at best. Once I completed the tire change the car just felt more composed. Hard cornering was more confident. I'm not plugging Michelin. Tires are a personal choice and there are many very good brands. In my experience, replacing the OEM tires with a highly-rated performance-oriented all-season tire is money well spent.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Yokos are average at best. Once I completed the tire change the car just felt more composed. Hard cornering was more confident. I'm not plugging Michelin. Tires are a personal choice and there are many very good brands. In my experience, replacing the OEM tires with a highly-rated performance-oriented all-season tire is money well spent.
The Michelins are a great tire. Why not bump to 235/45r18?
Less speedometer error. Read 64.66 at 65actual as opposed to 63.79 at 65 actual, and fill those big wheel wells a little better.

Speedometer Calibration

·
Registered
212 Posts
If the stock rim is 7x18" the widest recommended size is 215.
7" is really narrow for 18" rim.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I will keep my OEM tire since they came with the car.
I will consider other brand when it will be time for them to be changed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will keep my OEM tire since they came with the car.
I will consider other brand when it will be time for them to be changed.
Redbeast Thats scarey
OEM TIRES.
That is a very wise decision, however there is nothing wrong with establishing which make and size will fit and that all depends on where you live and the type of driving you do. many complain about the space betwen the top of the wheel anf the lower part of the wheel arch cladding to me that is part of the off road versitility thanks to mazda the tire sytyle that suits the CX3 is not the same as the CX30 or a Jeep each car come with its own personality changing tha personality would think destroy the concept

just because some thing new comes along does not mean it will be or is better.

I have been practicing Architecture for years.

" If it look good, it will be so !"

CX3 Soul Red 2 ltr. Auto 6 gears 215 / 50 /18 tires on 18 's x 7"

·
Registered
65 Posts
CENTER OF BALANCE
Idealy the centrer of balance should be shared equally between the front a rear wheels when driving on a straight road, the diference in tire pressure some what compensates for this.
The tire contact patch of the front an rear should be the same, what changes all that is the distribution of weight , caused by the weight of the engine and carge and by changes in momentum ,for example a car may nose dive when the brakes are applied and the rear will squat when the car is accelerated this is some what depentant on suspension type.
Never under estimate the performance over time of the tires and shock absorbers,both subject to ware.
Pasengers and cargo may also be subject to momentum, this becomes excessive if the brakes are slamed on hard or insufficient tire pressure.
Also weight distribution changes from rear to front as car enters corners, and from front to rear when cars departs corners this drift is caused by momentum and centrifical force.
Body role caused by centrifical force is also experianced in some vehicles having a high center of gravity.
All this can become magnified by excessive speed, wet and icy roads and may become life threating.

CX 3 Soul Red 2 ltr 6 gear auto
Bermuda

·
Registered
65 Posts
TIRE TYPES
The tire industry makes available every comceivable tire, style, shape ,and form ,they even go as far with tires having soft performance compound which reduces tread wear as some tires for example only last for one hour on the race track.
The general public wants all those features and more for a rock bottom price.
Tires are the life blood of the car they are what keep you out of the hospital , don't you wish the car in front or behind of you would sport a decent set of tires, the reason for that is cost as the first thing many people will ask is
"how much" people want more for less. W R O N G !
Many tires are purchased are most likely old and sold at at discount prices here is where the the problems start, then again ,some dealer are able to get good price with their bulk buying and hand it on.
I realize the mortgage is due and food meeds to go on the table.
Tire value

A $200.oo high end single tire lasting for say 6 years max, in reality costs
($ 200.oo/ 6 ) = $33.33 per year (6 years is pushing a good thing way to far)
( $200.oo / 72) = $02.77 per month
($200.oo /365) = $00.09 cents a day .

I think that is a very good deal.
No body says you can not have the best.

CX3 Soul red 215 /50/18 OEM . Toyo tire , hard compound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts