Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon, I take my car through the mountains every weekend in the snow and ice.
Car is very tail happy at highway speeds in corners.
Particularly under braking or lifting off the throttle.

Was wondering if this is a side affect of the stability control? Seems to start it and then catch itself. Its happened so many times I experimented with not counter steering to see what would happen.
Anyone else notice this?

Been doing this drive for years in multiple vehicles and never had this much movement.

On the bright side its not understeer!

Brand new X-ice 3s on the car, AWD.

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
I've noticed the same thing on mine. The stability control is willing to let you play a little bit but still cuts in before you kill yourself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
CX-3 has quite short wheelbase and front suspension is softer than rear and has longer travel than rear (at least awd models).
When braking or lifting the throttle the weight transfers to the front and makes it turn better / push the rear out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More testing

Did some more evaluation and I've decided the stability program is just set loose. Purposely hooning in the snow doesn't kick in any nannies until quite late.
If you've ever driven a BMW its like the half off setting on my 3 and 5 series. Some fun allowed.

Its fine, just on the highway I've been ruined by technology on other cars ;)

And yes, short wheelbase definitely contributes to feeling.

Sure like the fact that it behaves rear wheel biased under throttle, even knowing it isn't....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts