Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
But they are the best of the bunch. The highest rating is "good" which no model tested received that rating.

Surprising to see some newly-released models rate at the bottom of the list.

These SUVs have lousy headlights - Jul. 12, 2016

From IIHS: "The best-performing headlights in the small SUV group belong to a new model, the Mazda CX-3, and are available on its Grand Touring trim. They are curve-adaptive LED lights with optional high beam assist. The low beams perform well on both right curves and fairly well on the straightaway and sharp left curve; however, they provide inadequate light on the gradual left curve. The high beams perform well on most approaches."

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the non-LED, non-HID headlights and they're still as good as my 2014 MX5's HIDs and way way better than my 2011 Mazda 3's. (That 2011 Mazda 3 had the absolute worst headlights... in the world.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to agree the LED headlights on the CX-3 aren't the best but they are pretty good. I like the daylight white color. The spread of the beam isn't as good as on the CX-5 with factory HID's (we also own a CX-5 in our family). I think the reason the HID's on the CX-5 are better is because the actual projector lense/projector housing is larger so it is have to spread the light more onto the road.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Well I don't know what constitutes good but I always thought the LED headlights were the best I'd ever had with the possible exception of range. Now I've got these super duper ones with 24 main beam LEDs on the CX-5 and they are the best I've ever come across. The only risk will be running into the back of a truck while I watch the endless repertoire of tricks they perform.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
106 Posts
I actually think the LED headlights are pretty darn good. I have not had any visibility problems as of yet - even in the rain. I am so used to the CRI of the headlights, that when I drive my wife's new Honda Fit, her headlights seem rather yellow and dim (but not dangerously so).

·
Registered
222 Posts
So far we have been happy with our headlights (LED ones). But to be honest we don't drive at night like we used to. The worst ones in recent memory were on 1993-1996 Eagle Vision's (Chrysler LH cars). My wife had a 94 and I had a 96 and while they were great cars with gobs of room, the headlights SUCKED! I did not realize how bad until I traded mine in on a VW and could see again at night on the road!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
The CX3 LED lights are pretty darn good in every situation I have tried them in. However they do not quite measure up to the HID lights that came with my previous Subaru Forester Limited. Nothing up ahead could escape being illuminated by them.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The CX3 LED lights are pretty darn good in every situation I have tried them in. However they do not quite measure up to the HID lights that came with my previous Subaru Forester Limited. Nothing up ahead could escape being illuminated by them.
Thats the problem with HIDs in reflector housings. They blind everything in their path, including oncoming traffic. I prefer controlled light patters of projector assemblies.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I could nip out and turn on my main beam lights but I don't want to dazzle you guys in the US ;-)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Does anyone know if there is any special procedure for adjusting the LED headlight aiming?
On some cars you need diagnostic tool to set the adjustment to a certain position before you can touch the aiming screws.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts