Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am a new owner of a CX-3 and have already put a number of highway miles on it. I've noticed an issue with the steering, particularly at speed on highways. The steering seems to lack on-center feel. That is, if I put, for example, left steering input in on a long sweeping left corner, the steering seems to stay turned in to the left. I can even take my hands off the wheel, and the car will continue turning left. The steering does not return to center. When the corner straightens out, the car continues to steer to the left somewhat, not returning to center. On a straight, I can do the same thing - put in a bit of steering input, and the car continues to steer in that direction (slightly) without returning to center.

This doesn't seem right to me. These Mazdas are supposed to have great steering feel. Why does mine feel so much around the center? Thoughts?

One final observation: the problem seems more prominent to the left than the right.

Thanks for your responses.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
The steering is quite light and I have noticed a slight "numbness" around the wheel centre-point. Returning to centre is achieved with castor angle - like a shopping cart. I will check what adjustments can be made but in the meantime, did you check your tire pressures?

·
Registered
272 Posts
The steering is quite light and I have noticed a slight "numbness" around the wheel centre-point. Returning to centre is achieved with castor angle - like a shopping cart. I will check what adjustments can be made but in the meantime, did you check your tire pressures?
The numbness center point is definitely noticeable, i'd say turning the wheel from 0 (center) to ~25 degree either way doesn't steer the car much, if at all.

I will take the highway home tonight and will test what the OP said and report back

·
Registered
193 Posts
When you get an alignment have the castor angle maximized. A max castor angle will improve the steering return-to-center after a corner.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Just in case you want the spec...........

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts