Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already tried this, but want to make sure there isn't a gotcha I missed.

I am going kayaking and don't want to take my key with me; presumably they don't do well with water. Any reason I can't stash the electronic key inside and take a door key with me to lock/unlock the door?

Seems to work, but who knows.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you tried it? I can imagine leaving the electronic fob in the car and locking with the physical key, but, since the electronic fob is actually inside the car, can you unlock it by pressing the button on the door handle? My suggestion - a zip lock bag or any other container designed to contain your water non-resistant devices (phones, et all).

·
Registered
234 Posts
As long as the key fob (transmitter portion) is in the car, the car will not lock unless you use another FOB. This is to prevent you from getting locked out by accident. Be aware that while the key is in the car make sure that the lights are off and that you have a jumper in the car as the FOB is continuously talking with the car so it may drain either your fob battery or car battery. Its rare but it has happened.

·
Registered
274 Posts

I am going kayaking and don't want to take my key with me; presumably they don't do well with water. Any reason I can't stash the electronic key inside and take a door key with me to lock/unlock the door?

A fix for you fob storage is to buy one of those bags with metal built into the walls or, just use a metal tin (with lid) to block the signal from the fob.

Just for interest: I bought a wallet with metal screening build into the walls (Faraday cage) to stop my credit card from being scanned. Don't know what these credit cards are called in other parts of the world (called swipe card here) but they are used to "swipe" in your card info instead of keying in numbers. I believe two such cards in the same wallet cancel each other so they cannot be scanned. Anyone want to comment?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I think it's asking for trouble. Can't get duelling banjos out of my head and in any case, I can't lock mine with the key in.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think it's asking for trouble. Can't get duelling banjos out of my head and in any case, I can't lock mine with the key in.
This is getting interesting. I went to my car with fob in hand and locked/unlocked the door (as you would expect), I then removed the key from the fob, put the fob on the drivers seat shut the door and was able to lock/unlock the door (with me on the outside).

I then got a metal tin with a metal lid put the fob inside the tin sat in the drivers seat and tried to turn on the ignition. Nothing happened. Took the fob out of the tin, ignition worked as expected. Repeated the fob in tin again and, again I couldn't turn on the ignition.

Could I ask a few others to try doing what anchorman and I did to see if their systems work differently from ours.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could I ask a few others to try doing what anchorman and I did to see if their systems work differently from ours.
Aluminum foil is adequate.

But back to the issue of running down batteries... So a few hours is okay, but a week at airport parking is a bad idea?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I don't think you'd run the car battery down by doing that but it is a fact that they talk to each other while within a few yards. For that reason you shouldn't hang your keys on the inside of the wall next to where your car is parked. On a Toyota, the key and car will shut down after 30 days and the car can only be opened with the remote after that. I'll have to read up to see if the mazda is the same.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Key Left-in-luggage Compartment Warning Beep (With the advanced keyless function)

If the key is left in the luggage compartment with all doors locked and the liftgate closed, a beep sound is
heard for about 10 seconds to remind the driver the key has been left in the luggage compartment. If this happens,
open the liftgate by pressing the electric liftgate opener and remove the key. A key removed from the luggage compartment may not function because its functions may have been temporarily suspended.
To restore the key function, perform the applicable procedure (page 3-7 ).

Key Left-in-vehicle Warning Beep (With the advanced keyless function)

If a key is left in the vehicle cabin and all the doors and the luggage compartment are locked using a separate key, a beep sound is heard for about 10 seconds to remind the driver that the key has been left in the vehicle cabin. If this happens, open the door and remove the key. A key removed from the vehicle this way may not function because its functions may have been temporarily suspended. Perform the applicable procedure to restore the functions of the key (page 3-7 ).
Note that leaving the key in the vehicle whilst unattended will probably invalidate your insurance.

·
Super Moderator
108 Posts

I don't see why not. I have left my car running and gone shopping (on hot days) with the dog in the car. I just lock the car with the manual key (won't let you lock otherwise) and it works every time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
As I don't have the Advanced Keyless System I wasn't aware of all the things it could do compared to my Keyless System. My system gives none of the sounds explained by jt and others. I don't even get any sound when locking/unlocking (only the lights flash). Never-the-less, the metal shielding would still work.

So, if after being warned about insurance you still want to hide the fob in the car MAKE SURE you put it in a place where it's hard to find.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

If a key is left in the vehicle cabin and all the doors and the luggage compartment are locked using a separate key, a beep sound is heard for about 10 seconds to remind the driver that the key has been left in the vehicle cabin.
==========
I have the advanced (aren't they all advanced?), but mine doesn't beep like that.

·
Registered
136 Posts

If a key is left in the vehicle cabin and all the doors and the luggage compartment are locked using a separate key, a beep sound is heard for about 10 seconds to remind the driver that the key has been left in the vehicle cabin.
==========
I have the advanced (aren't they all advanced?), but mine doesn't beep like that.
Maybe in the US, but in some markets not all trim levels have the advanced system and are fitted with your traditional push button key less entry system.

The warning does sound like that and it is really loud! I only had it go off once when I first drove the car because I forgot about the spare key in the glovebox.

If you are as you say, removing the key from the fob and leaving that same fob in the car less the manual key, possibly the system is recognising that this is the same key and not triggering the warning?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd rather leave my car on for the pup. And whoever breaks into the car with my dog in there is going to have a bad time.
Whoever breaks into my car had better pet my pup, or he is going to have to put up with a real nuisance.

I find leaving the windows open an inch is adequate for 10 minutes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts