Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big mistake as in :D

I had a thread going from Labor Day saying how I had sat in one at the dealer and thought it was too small for me. I had almost scratched it off my mental list of possible vehicles. Then I decided I owed it to myself to drive one just to make sure. Well, I really liked it. A Lot! Driver's seat was very comfy. It has surprising pick-up for only 145 hp. I liked the transmission. It didn't dump me into a too high gear way too early like the Jeep Renegade did. I just really felt comfortable driving it. It's now back on the mental list.

But...... there are a few slight negatives for me. The drivers footwell is a little narrower than I'm used to, and I'm in a Veloster now so I'm used to small cars. Also if I put my water bottle (that I always have with me) in the center console cup holder, then the center armrest becomes useless, as it would have to be in the up position to accommodate a water bottle. I guess you could put a small cold drink or a coffee in there with the armrest down but you'd have to reach under the rest to pull it out.

Not much rear seat room either. I'm 5'10" and with the driver's seat where I would want it to drive, when I get in the back behind the driver's seat my knees touch the seat back. And at 5'10" it's not like I'm real tall. Fortunately I rarely have folks in the back seat, so I could deal with it.

Gas tank sounds small also. But it's not much smaller than my Veloster tank so I could live with that also. Cargo room is small but as long as the wife has a larger SUV then we're OK for trips.

So the bottom line is, small cars are more fun to drive and this one is no exception. It's at the top of my list right now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The better place for a water bottle is on the door. It seems made for one. I would prefer better cup holder locations but i came from a Saab and the cup-holders are already way better than the eject-able dash cup holders my Saab had. Those holders would sometimes tip a cup all over my dash.

The driver foot well is narrow but it doesn't matter much to me when i'm driving. My leg is tender on the outside of my left knee from driving a 3+ hour drive in the car. I chalk it up as my body break in period. This has never stopped me from getting used to a pair of comfortable shoes.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I thought I was the only one bothered by the narrow footwell. I've had rentals that were much worse (talking to you Ford Fusion) but the CX-3 isn't as crippling for me. It's just not as expansive as my x1. I expect I'll be cramping a bit on longer drives but thankfully those are rare for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's not just the 146 hp but the equivalent 146 torque delivered early at 2800 rpm that gives it the zoom-zoom. I once had a 99.5 model Audi A4 that had hard material in a narrow foot well which bothered me so I too was concerned about my CX-3. So far I find the red leather on the side of the foot well in my GT model to be padded enough that it hasn't bothered me but I haven't taken any extended drives yet. Idbrian is right about the doors being good water bottle holders. It's not obvious or common but the doors are made to hold water bottles with a slight forward pitch. Bring your bottle next time you test drive and check it out. Yes, the back seats and storage is on the small side but I don't often have passengers and it's the CX-3's daily drive ability that makes me smile rather then rarely used space. I had placed a deposit on a Honda HRV which has more storage but once I drove the CX-3 I bought it. YMMV.

Reactions: ohgeez

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the back seats and storage is on the small side but I don't often have passengers and it's the CX-3's daily drive ability that makes me smile rather then rarely used space.
That's what I'm thinking. I could live with the space issue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Glad you drove it. The test drive sold my wife on the CX3. Prior to Mazda, she/we drove the Rogue, Crosstrek and HRV and was not impressed by any of those although the Crosstrek was in the running but she hated the cheap looking interior. We thought about the Tucson and CX5 but the point of her getting a smaller vehicle....was just that...she wanted a smaller fun car. She's had her 2003 Murano since new and we no longer need the extra room. Our kids are grown and have their own cars so the smaller space in the back seat and cargo area is a small sacrifice for the awesome looks and great ride of the CX3. If we needed that extra room, we would have gotten the CX5.

I think you really have to decide on how important that extra leg room is for. I know for us, if I need to carry some passengers, I have my 2014 VW Passat and it sounds like you have another vehicle for the "just in case" moments you need more space. BTW, I'm 5'10" as well and find it pretty comfortable. :D

Good luck in whatever you choose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dude...... I traded my Veloster for the CX-3 which I bought about 10 days ago. I agree with you 100%. The Veloster did feel bigger inside, specially for the passengers in the back. they always said the back was very roomy. I only have an 8 years all Son and rarely have people with me so the space of the CX3 was not a big issue. I'm 5'11 and the driver's seat feels just fine son it is not a problem.

One thing that you mentioned and that does bother me a bit is the size of the fuel tank. It fits about 9.8 gallons once the light turns on. I'm getting on average about 280 miles per tank (from full until the light turns on). In the Veloster I used to get about 325 but that's also because it was more fuel efficient. In summary I love the CX-3. Looks beautiful inside and out and the engine performs incredibly for the size. I test drove the HRV and I fell I was hauling about 700 pounds of cargo. Very very slow and the noise was bad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know that feeling. When I first discovered the CX3 in June I had never heard of it. And then I went down the rabbit hole or researching it because I was determined to get the car I wanted this time (I went from a 2004 Pontiac Vibe, that I loved, to a 2013 Nissan Sentra that I realize now I hated). But I had built it up so much in my mind I was worried that something would be wrong and I wouldn't like it and I would have to go with my #2 pick the Kia Soul even though I got chills everytime I looked at the CX3. And then I drove it...twice and I fell in love with it all over again, but in person this time. So I had to find a new place to put my water bottle and figure out somewhere else for my tissue box to go, but I got it and I haven't been this happy driving since I had the Vibe.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think that most of the negatives about the CX-3 are about the space and size of it. It is a small car. That's what it is. If you want something bigger, than get the CX-5. I think pointing out how small it is says more about what you are looking for in a vehicle than something about the positive or negative qualities of the CX-3.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think that most of the negatives about the CX-3 are about the space and size of it. It is a small car. That's what it is. If you want something bigger, than get the CX-5. I think pointing out how small it is says more about what you are looking for in a vehicle than something about the positive or negative qualities of the CX-3.

Well said. Lots of Size Queens out there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
so i had the day off and drove the cx3 today. no complaints about the footwell area from me and i too am 5'10". i decided that i could live with the tight backseat and the small trunk area. rarely do the wife and i have people sit in the back of our cars anyway. oh, the car definitely is fun to drive but it is under-powered with the AC on blast as today was scorching hot in southern california.

there is a possible deal breaker for me though, that damn afterthought armrest. i can totally see why it isn't included in the non-US models. first off, it's ugly. it isn't leather and the stitching doesn't match the contrast stitching found in the GT. oh, the stitching that is there is coarse and makes for resting your arm there very uncomfortable. then, the design completely blocks the use of the infotainment knob. lift it up and you have no armrest, position it down and you have no use of the knob and no touchscreen controls while the car is in motion. yes there's some controls on the steering wheel itself but i believe controls are limited. i'd probably remove the armrest all together if i buy the car.

the other car i'd consider is the 6. it's more refined but also less exciting. plus, i like the 2016 interiors but understand dealers aren't wiggling too much on the 2016's pricing due to still having so many 2015 models on their lot. you can get great deals on the 2015s but i want updated interior.

i guess it's more of the waiting game for me, for now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
DRIVING POSITION. MAZDA CX3.
You have been driving for years but not in a CX3.

I canot stress the importance of a proper driving position which should sustain you for at least one hour of driving. May i ask are you wearing propper shoes and eye wear got to have a base ball hat for the sun. Comfort is only part of it, where as the ability to control the vehicle to avoid an accident must take president. Always look for means of escape .It has taken me some time to get the seating and stearing positions to my liking in the CX3 as this is a give and take situation.

The seat has a forward and back adjustment ,got to get that right, as the consequences are back pain .

Here are some negative short comings say if the seat is too far forward you will be cramped your ability to get at the brake in an emergency will be restrained ,you will find that the steering wheel clearance will be restricted on right angle turns as you elbows will punch you in the guts, side mirors anf rear view mirors will cause you to move your head like a bubble doll .

Now to good part all driving position have to be dealt with in turn and separately , that starts with the position of the drivers seat first, as you need to be able to get in and out of the vehicle with ease with out kicking and scruffing the car cills.

Next come the strearing wheel up and down adjustment,start with a fully extended wheel ,followed by the up and down adjustment this will take a little time as you need to test drive each adjustment, your arms must be comfortable and don't forget the all rear view mirors.

The next to last thing on my list is the steering wheel restrictions as your hands need to be at 3.00 and 9.00 to access the paddle shifters lights and turn leavers,again after steering wheel adjustment check that your elbows dont punch you in the gut when turning through 90 degrees.
Never drive one handed.

The visual part . Can you see past the "A" piller and the pop up speed indiator , all dashboard instruments and see past the stearing wheel and also reach center
consol controls.
Please do not be tempted to make any adjustment while moving.
The true test drive the car at night.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts