Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2019 CX-3 and I have an issue I need advice on. My dad gave me an advice a long time ago and I tried to always check for this issue. He told me to open the oil cap (the cap where I need to pour the oil) while the car is idling to see if a lot of oil is spraying out of the compartment. When I do that to my engine, a ton of oil spits out and my hand becomes nearly completely covered after a minute. I was wondering if anyone knows engines well enough to be able to explain to me if that is an issue or a normal working feature of the Mazda engines.

PS. I have another car, a Nissan Xterra from 2008, and even after 80K km the engine does not spit a lot of oil, only three or four drops.

Thank you a lot!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the engine isn't making any unusual noses is running fine and is not leaking oil i wouldn't worry about oil coming out of the filler hole as the engine is not designed to be used with the cap removed, i have never tried this but assume the same would happen if i did.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Heard that advice before... Holds true for older carborated engines.
Much like the advice that you shouldn't start your car from cold and immediately drive off, even though can, longevity will be affected.
I've noticed with the CX3, from a cold start, engine is noisy revs are around 1700rmp, while idling, then drops to 1000rmp, (engine temp is still cold - blue light), then drops to around 500rmp with the engine temperature light (blue) turning off. Each interval the engine noise gets less.
If you insist on doing this test, of open oil cap, then do it when the engine is warm lowest revs.
I see due to the skyactiv magical compression ration 1:14 it relies heavily on high pressure of the oil to circulate and get things to optimal level.
I'm sure you'll see much less oil (if any at all) coming out the cap.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2019 CX-3 and I have an issue I need advice on. My dad gave me an advice a long time ago and I tried to always check for this issue. He told me to open the oil cap (the cap where I need to pour the oil) while the car is idling to see if a lot of oil is spraying out of the compartment. When I do that to my engine, a ton of oil spits out and my hand becomes nearly completely covered after a minute. I was wondering if anyone knows engines well enough to be able to explain to me if that is an issue or a normal working feature of the Mazda engines.

PS. I have another car, a Nissan Xterra from 2008, and even after 80K km the engine does not spit a lot of oil, only three or four drops.

Thank you a lot!!!!
OIL CHANGE GONE WRONG.
Years ago regular gas stations had a mechanic on hand to do minor service work and oil changes.
it as normal for people to used this service, as i did .
I drove 2 miles and the low oil light came on.
I was lucky to get to a car sevice depot near by, only to find that the oil filter either came loose or was no properly fastened in the first place.
I lost four quarts of oil in 2 miles of driving.
I recommend after CX3 oil change service , always check the oil dip stick . on level ground , some mechanics helpers may over fill the engine oil or not change out or forget the oil filter and dump in 4 quarts . WOW !
My last car was a jeep
On my first service i found the dip stick was showing too much oil i made the the dealer change out the oil again
and
I never went back to the dealer ever again eventually, i sold the Jeep an got a CX3
You have got to watch them.

CX3
Bermuda

·
Registered
121 Posts
...I drove 2 miles and the low oil light came on.
I was lucky to get to a car sevice depot near by, only to find that the oil filter either came loose or was no properly fastened in the first place.
I lost four quarts of oil in 2 miles of driving.
I recommend after CX3 oil change service , always check the oil dip stick . on level ground , some mechanics helpers may over fill the engine oil or not change out or forget the oil filter and dump in 4 quarts . WOW !
On my first service i found the dip stick was showing too much oil i made the the dealer change out the oil again
and I never went back to the dealer ever again...
If the oil filter is loose it's probably because they put on the wrong one. Had that happen to a fleet vehicle I used at work years ago. Yes, it makes quite the mess along the road when they come loose or fall off. They had to send a service truck out to make repairs because there was no way to drive it with no oil left in the engine. I bet the service tech had some explaining to do to the boss.

I had a similar experience with over-filling the oil that happened at my local Mazda dealer with my brand new 2009 Tribute when it was in for it's first service. The mechanic, actually the head mechanic in the shop, somehow added 5 litres of oil to the engine and didn't drain to old oil. When I got home I checked the dipstick and was shocked. Called them and returned to the shop for them to fix the problem. I was fortunate as there was no lasting issue, although it smoked really badly for about a week as the overflow was burned out of the system. I drove that truck for another 10 years and ultimately put on about 175K km.

I now do all of my own oil changes!

·
Registered
114 Posts
If the oil filter is loose it's probably because they put on the wrong one. Had that happen to a fleet vehicle I used at work years ago. Yes, it makes quite the mess along the road when they come loose or fall off. They had to send a service truck out to make repairs because there was no way to drive it with no oil left in the engine. I bet the service tech had some explaining to do to the boss.

I had a similar experience with over-filling the oil that happened at my local Mazda dealer with my brand new 2009 Tribute when it was in for it's first service. The mechanic, actually the head mechanic in the shop, somehow added 5 litres of oil to the engine and didn't drain to old oil. When I got home I checked the dipstick and was shocked. Called them and returned to the shop for them to fix the problem. I was fortunate as there was no lasting issue, although it smoked really badly for about a week as the overflow was burned out of the system. I drove that truck for another 10 years and ultimately put on about 175K km.

I now do all of my own oil changes!
Malks I write to thank you for your kind informative reply. Wow !
:::::::: Don't forget the oil filter ~~~. just joking!
I used to be able to get under our Toyota R.A.V. 4 to do oil changes can't get under our CX 3
at my age I should not do that any more.
I will stick with lawn mower oil changes.
I don't know what brand or type oil the dealer uses here i know it comes to them in bulk, there are tight lipped , I hope that it is synthetic
do you have a drain bolt or the original fancy bolt that Mazda uses?
I have two applications of Teflon boat polish on our car so far , that works very well !
The CX 3 forum is slowing down there is lot to talk about especially to all the new owners
Don't mess with the control center nob while driving.
Mazda have big crack up.
or
Wake up Tony he never seen a big accident.
My computer is making errors again, new one still in the box.

CX3 Bermuda

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used to be able to get under our Toyota R.A.V. 4 to do oil changes can't get under our CX 3
at my age I should not do that any more.
I will stick with lawn mower oil changes.
I don't know what brand or type oil the dealer uses here i know it comes to them in bulk, there are tight lipped , I hope that it is synthetic
do you have a drain bolt or the original fancy bolt that Mazda uses?
All you need is a good set of ramps. I have a steel set with fold out extensions so the bumper clears the ramp as I drive up onto them. I had to get this set when I had my 2004 Mazda3 because it was too low to the ground and the lower bodywork hit the steeper ramps before the front tires. I'm 66 and have been doing my own oil changes for over 20 years. That one where I trusted to the dealer was the first time I had been into a service department for the previous 10 years. I never went back!

My CX-3 has a standard drain plug and I buy the filters from the Parts Counter at my Dealer. I buy full synthetic 5W20 oil when it's on sale and get two 5L jugs so I'm good for a year. Since I'm retired I only drive about 10K km per year now so one oil change in the spring and another in the fall.

·
Registered
114 Posts
All you need is a good set of ramps. I have a steel set with fold out extensions so the bumper clears the ramp as I drive up onto them. I had to get this set when I had my 2004 Mazda3 because it was too low to the ground and the lower bodywork hit the steeper ramps before the front tires. I'm 66 and have been doing my own oil changes for over 20 years. That one where I trusted to the dealer was the first time I had been into a service department for the previous 10 years. I never went back!

My CX-3 has a standard drain plug and I buy the filters from the Parts Counter at my Dealer. I buy full synthetic 5W20 oil when it's on sale and get two 5L jugs so I'm good for a year. Since I'm retired I only drive about 10K km per year now so one oil change in the spring and another in the fall.

I am ok with you on oil changes..

GEARING AND ENGINE SPEEDS
I need to offer my opinion on gearing an drive speeds, at best ,we here can do with out getting a ticket is 50 k.
I usually drive in automatic at 47 k and meaning my car has, yet to see 6 th gear which is understandable.

As you know the higher road speeds while driving rural areas the car shifts into higher gears as it should with the engine revs only around 1,200 rpm.
That is to say 400 rpm above normal that is not good .
Running an engine at low R.P.M. cause many engine problems.
Our CX3's have high compression engines and at best should be run at 3,000 RPM or 2,000 RPM minimum also hard driving gets the engine to do work with out effort.

OPTIONS ... cars are meant to be driven...

[1] Stay out of automatic.
[2] Use manual / semi automatic gear stick to select gears for higher R.P.M
[3] Use paddle shifters, here is where the car will hunt for higher gears with reduced R.P.M.
[4] Constantly use your dash board rev counter to control the engine rpm.

I don't know why a Mazda don't have a proper temperature gauge, beats me !

Reasons for higher R.P.M.
[1] Better oil flow.
[2]. Better coolant flow.
[3]. Less strain on the engine
[4]. Less strain on the gearbox.
[5] . Better exhause flow .
[6]. Saves gas enginge is not flogging which drinks gas.
[7]. Keep spark plugs cleaner.
[8]. Engine runs at its designed or a proper temperature.
[9].Reduces sludge build up in engines oil sump.
10]. Less carbon build up.

AND
Correct tire pressure to reduce rolling resistance.

CX3 Bermuda

1 - 8 of 8 Posts