Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, had my CX3 GT AWD since Oct. 2015, got about 3,200 miles.Car is set on Fixed schedule, what mileage should I change the oil?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I got mine in Oct 15 and just rolled over 2600 miles. I had the oil changed about 3 weeks ago and moving forward, will just do it every 6 months because, like you, I don't drive a lot.

·
Registered
272 Posts
in Canada, the schedule (on fixed) is every 8000kms, or 4 months - whichever comes first.

I got my car early Dec and got my oil changed last week, i only had 5000kms but 4 months had passed.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hello, had my CX3 GT AWD since Oct. 2015, got about 3,200 miles.Car is set on Fixed schedule, what mileage should I change the oil?
The recommended interval for US is to change oil/filter and rotate tires every 5,000 miles. In fact I just did mine a couple days ago as I hit almost 5,000 miles after 6 months :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I cannot understand why you have to change oil so often over there in us and canada. Its ridiculously often compared to here in sweden (and i think in hole europa?) we only change it once a year or every 20 000km (12 427miles).
How is this possible, that the difference is so big?

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's really interesting.

The shorter intervals are probably more cultural and business-model based. Many US consumers aren't very savvy about oil, often falling prey to the "3 months, 3000 miles" intervals. Some even take pride in keeping the change interval even shorter. Can't blame Mazda for taking advantage.

·
Registered
872 Posts

The shorter intervals are probably more cultural and business-model based. Many US consumers aren't very savvy about oil, often falling prey to the "3 months, 3000 miles" intervals. Some even take pride in keeping the change interval even shorter. Can't blame Mazda for taking advantage.
My BMW required 1 service over the 31 months and 13,500 miles I had it. People were shocked. To your point, a lot of old school mentality around.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I cannot understand why you have to change oil so often over there in us and canada. Its ridiculously often compared to here in sweden (and i think in hole europa?) we only change it once a year or every 20 000km (12 427miles).
How is this possible, that the difference is so big?
Do they use full synthetic oil in Europe? Perhaps that is mandated. If we use full synthetic, we can change oil once a year as well. But if not using synthetic, then depending on your driving conditions, it is once every 4 months/5000 miles or once every 6 months/7500 miles.

I still believe these are arbitrarily made by manufacturers/dealers to get us to spend more money though. And if we don't follow their maintenance guidelines then they may not honor the warranty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do they use full synthetic oil in Europe? Perhaps that is mandated. If we use full synthetic, we can change oil once a year as well. But if not using synthetic, then depending on your driving conditions, it is once every 4 months/5000 miles or once every 6 months/7500 miles.

I still believe these are arbitrarily made by manufacturers/dealers to get us to spend more money though. And if we don't follow their maintenance guidelines then they may not honor the warranty.
Sorry i dont know what kind of oil we use, dont know anything about different oil types. But santa wrote 0W-20 or 5W-30.
Yes i understand, maintenance guidelines must be followed for the warranty.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Unless Mazda has changed for the US market in recent years, I was told by my dealer service advisor that Mazda uses a semi-synthetic blend as the OEM oil on the old 2007 Mazda 3 with the 2.3L engine that I had. I can't imagine they'd change that, but it's possible. In the past, most manufacturers, with very few exceptions, did not use full synthetic as the factory fill because it was perceived that the full synthetics were too slippery which prevented proper break-in of piston rings, cylinders, valve seats, bearings, seals, etc. Used to be that only Porsche and some other exotics were coming with synthetic oil from the factory. I heard almost exactly the same story when I previously worked in the driveline lab at Harley-Davidson Motor Co. from their oil expert (I left there in 2003). I heard it again a while later from a Subaru dealer mechanic who claimed he was advised by the factory during training to not change over to full synthetics in their engines until the car had at least 10,000 miles on it.

That said, that was years ago and things certainly may be different now with the newer engine technologies being used.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sorry i dont know what kind of oil we use, dont know anything about different oil types. But santa wrote 0W-20 or 5W-30.
Yes i understand, maintenance guidelines must be followed for the warranty.
Yeah, I just copied what the owners manual said :D
I haven't the slightest idea if it's fully synthetical or not (but I suspect they are).
I'm not that far off my first oil change, only 3500 km to go which will be in july, I think.

·
Registered
28 Posts

A regular service interval in Europe is most of the times 20k-25k or 1 year, or with Long Life Oil (like VAG and BMW) 30k or 2 years.

3 months is really short. What do you pay in the US for an Oil service at the Mazda dealer?

Yearly maintenance (oil + filters + small checks) is at average USD 300 in NL.

·
Registered
893 Posts
A regular service interval in Europe is most of the times 20k-25k or 1 year, or with Long Life Oil (like VAG and BMW) 30k or 2 years.

3 months is really short. What do you pay in the US for an Oil service at the Mazda dealer?

Yearly maintenance (oil + filters + small checks) is at average USD 300 in NL.
Oh wow that's a bit expensive. I paid around $60 for my first oil/filter change plus tire rotation. The oil change by itself is usually anywhere from $20-$40 depending on car. I'm not sure how much the major maintenance costs, which we normally have to do at 30,000 miles, but it is probably under $300.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts