Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been reading and watching a bunch on the skyactive engines, and found out that it's a GDI engine ( direct injection ) so fuel does not spray over the valves causing the carbon build up on them. One of the solutions I found to slow down the carbon build up is an oil catch can. Does anyone have any opinions on that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I've been reading and watching a bunch on the skyactive engines, and found out that it's a GDI engine ( direct injection ) so fuel does not spray over the valves causing the carbon build up on them. One of the solutions I found to slow down the carbon build up is an oil catch can. Does anyone have any opinions on that?
Oil Catch Can ??

·
Super Moderator
108 Posts
Oil Catch Can ??
Yes. This was quite a popular mod on the early DI engines (Particularly turbo DI), like Mazda's DISI for example. However, I haven't seen too many people install them on skyactiv engines.

You can search the ND Miata forums, as I recall lots of discussion about this with the general conclusion being that it really is not necessary to install.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx I'll check them out, I keep reading all over that direct injection engines are flawed with canon build up over the valves, which will eventually lead to problems.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
The CX3 has one factory fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
The CX3 has one factory fitted.
Given that a catch can hopefully actually 'catches' something, do you know where this expells its waste? Or is it something that a shop should be checking every oil change or something to clean out. I remember in my old genesis coupe the catch can I installed would get disgusting with oily gunk but it was better than it being recirculated into the intake and pooling on the turbo inlet. This is the first time ive seen anything factory related of the sort so Im curious and now worried about how this gets handled.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
The catch tank is just a container with a wire gauze in it. As the vapours pass through, they collect on the wire and then drip to the bottom where they are returned to the crankcase. The attachment is a pdf. It opens for me but here is a screen dump.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Given that a catch can hopefully actually 'catches' something, do you know where this expells its waste? Or is it something that a shop should be checking every oil change or something to clean out. I remember in my old genesis coupe the catch can I installed would get disgusting with oily gunk but it was better than it being recirculated into the intake and pooling on the turbo inlet. This is the first time ive seen anything factory related of the sort so Im curious and now worried about how this gets handled.
Don’t worry, it self purges. There is an inspection process attached but that is only for fault finding. It’s why these modern engine oil changes are critical. Hang on, here is the equivalent of what your accessory catch can is! I knew I’d got it somewhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don’t worry, it self purges. There is an inspection process attached but that is only for fault finding. It’s why these modern engine oil changes are critical. Hang on, here is the equivalent of what your accessory catch can is! I knew I’d got it somewhere.

Thankyou for that info, I can now sleep better at night. I'm glad mazda addressed this issue that a lot of direct injection engine manufacturers like to ignore. It's not full proff but it's better than nothing.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
There’s this one at the top of the engine too.......

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Interesting, so that purges the gases out?

Where are u getting all these diagrams ?
They are part of the online service information. You have to be registered as a trader and pay for access.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Interesting, so that purges the gases out?

Where are u getting all these diagrams ?
The gases are drawn by vacuum into the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
27 Posts
from what i have read at other forums.
oil catch can helps with carbon build up of gdi engines.
although did not know that mazda engines are gdi.
also frequent oil change with synthetic oil also helps.
but by and large carbon build up are unavoidable.

thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts