Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil today...Manual says 4.4 quarts to fill....I let the pan drain for probably an hour....New filter installed.....It took close to 5 quarts to get it to the fill dot on the stick....

After sitting for a few hours, it's maybe 1/8" over the fill dot but not much over to concern me.......

So the 4.4 quart figure is not too accurate as far as I'm concerned.....

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
I'm not sure where you got 4.4 qt. number but the 2016 owner's manual says 4.2 with a filter change and 4.0 without. Some of that will depend on the method of removal and whether there's any grade to the surface the car was sitting on.

Also, I'm not sure how you did it but proper oil level check requires you warm the engine up and then let it sit for 5 minutes to let the oil drain back down to the pan. Oil, like most things, expands when warm so the volume will increase. My rule of thumb is to fill to the midpoint between the add and full marks before warming the engine up, stopping for 5 minutes, and doing the final check.

One nice thing about using an oil extractor is being able to see exactly how much oil was removed. Add about 1/2 qt. less than you remove and then check the same as above.

Edit: Update after some research...
The thermal expansion coefficient of motor oil is somewhere between 0.0007/K and 0.001/K. We'll use 0.00085/K for this math.

If you increase the temperature from 20C to 100C, 4.2 qt of oil will expand to ~ 4.8 qt. Alternately, if you cool 4.8 qt of oil from 100C to 20C, you'll end up with 4.2 qt. So, we're already in the ballpark of 5 qt. The 1/8" you're over on the dipstick could easily be the 0.2 qt overfill.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I wish Mazda had both 'oil level when cold' and 'oil level when hot' markings on either side of the dipstick. It's can be a bit of a pain sometimes having to go on a short trip to get the oil hot and then wait 5 minutes to check it when with suitable markings it could have been done when the oil is cold - as a number of other manufacturers stipulate from my car history.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm not sure where you got 4.4 qt. number but the 2016 owner's manual says 4.2 with a filter change and 4.0 without. Some of that will depend on the method of removal and whether there's any grade to the surface the car was sitting on.

Also, I'm not sure how you did it but proper oil level check requires you warm the engine up and then let it sit for 5 minutes to let the oil drain back down to the pan. Oil, like most things, expands when warm so the volume will increase. My rule of thumb is to fill to the midpoint between the add and full marks before warming the engine up, stopping for 5 minutes, and doing the final check.

One nice thing about using an oil extractor is being able to see exactly how much oil was removed. Add about 1/2 qt. less than you remove and then check the same as above.

Edit: Update after some research...
The thermal expansion coefficient of motor oil is somewhere between 0.0007/K and 0.001/K. We'll use 0.00085/K for this math.

If you increase the temperature from 20C to 100C, 4.2 qt of oil will expand to ~ 4.8 qt. Alternately, if you cool 4.8 qt of oil from 100C to 20C, you'll end up with 4.2 qt. So, we're already in the ballpark of 5 qt. The 1/8" you're over on the dipstick could easily be the 0.2 qt overfill.
Here in the US we or should I say I go by quarts.....4.2 liter with filter = 4.4 US quarts. Page 9-5 in the manual....Also, as stated, I let the car sit for a few hours before checking the level...

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
Here in the US we or should I say I go by quarts.....4.2 liter with filter = 4.4 US quarts. Page 9-5 in the manual....Also, as stated, I let the car sit for a few hours before checking the level...
Okay, so Mazda are wrong and you are right.

Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
There are often claims that Mazda’s come underfilled from the factory but in fact, you should add oil as directed and treat the top mark on the stick as a maximum mark not a full mark.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are often claims that Mazda’s come underfilled from the factory but in fact, you should add oil as directed and treat the top mark on the stick as a maximum mark not a full mark.
Actually, this could be any manufacturer. Back in 2006, when I picked up my brand-new Honda Pilot, I let the car sit for about 10 minutes in my garage and then checked the oil level (which I do with every new car). I was surprised to see the dipstick read about one-third of a quart above the ADD mark. I took it back to the Honda dealer the very next morning and told the service manager that my brand new car was two-thirds quart under the FULL mark. He pulled the car into the service bay, let it sit for maybe 4-5 minutes and checked it himself. He got the very same reading I did. His answer was that the level was perfectly normal and "within the range". I insisted the level be brought up to the FULL mark, or close to, which he had a technician do while I watched. I asked the Tech if he had ever seen any other new vehicles with an oil level under full and he said absolutely.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Actually, this could be any manufacturer. Back in 2006, when I picked up my brand-new Honda Pilot, I let the car sit for about 10 minutes in my garage and then checked the oil level (which I do with every new car). I was surprised to see the dipstick read about one-third of a quart above the ADD mark. I took it back to the Honda dealer the very next morning and told the service manager that my brand new car was two-thirds quart under the FULL mark. He pulled the car into the service bay, let it sit for maybe 4-5 minutes and checked it himself. He got the very same reading I did. His answer was that the level was perfectly normal and "within the range". I insisted the level be brought up to the FULL mark, or close to, which he had a technician do while I watched. I asked the Tech if he had ever seen any other new vehicles with an oil level under full and he said absolutely.
I was topping up to the full mark when I first came over to Mazda but I’ve stopped doing it now. It’s just a waste of money when the spec says it takes less.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was topping up to the full mark when I first came over to Mazda but I’ve stopped doing it now. It’s just a waste of money when the spec says it takes less.
I'm sure the level being within that "safe zone" is fine. With past new vehicles I've had, I wanted to first determine if there would be any oil usage, especially when band new. In '05, before buying my Honda Pilot, I had read reports of owners saying the J-series 3.5 may use "some oil" (which I ended up finding to be true with the one I had for 3 years). Felt better having it up to the full line for that extra buffer to not slip below the lower level.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Installed a Fumoto valve this afternoon ... changed the oil and filter, Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended Performance, with "Mobil 1 Filter". A little over 1/2 quart left in the 5 quart container ... I'd estimate 4.4 quarts, before cranking it up, brought the level to the top mark. I'll check it again tomorrow morning, having run it for 5 mins, and after it sits all night.

Dealer wanted $69.95 for their oil, their filter, their labor, their overhead, their profit (i.e., surplus value or greed for the free-market doubters :).

Me, cheap as I am, $21.95 for the oil from Walmart plus $11.00 (now $14) for the filter from Amazon. There must be other equally as good filters for less money, without having to pay for the brand name.

EDIT: Checked this morning, spot on the full mark, didn't change ... took right at 4.4 quarts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed a Fumoto valve this afternoon ... changed the oil and filter, Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended Performance, with "Mobil 1 Filter". A little over 1/2 quart left in the 5 quart container ... I'd estimate 4.4 quarts, before cranking it up, brought the level to the top mark. I'll check it again tomorrow morning, having run it for 5 mins, and after it sits all night.

Dealer wanted $69.95 for their oil, their filter, their labor, their overhead, their profit (i.e., surplus value or greed for the free-market doubters :).

Me, cheap as I am, $21.95 for the oil from Walmart plus $11.00 (now $14) for the filter from Amazon. There must be other equally as good filters for less money, without having to pay for the brand name.

EDIT: Checked this morning, spot on the full mark, didn't change ... took right at 4.4 quarts.
How long did you let the pan drain?

I let mine drain for over an hour, I believe that's the reason mine took over 4.4 quarts to bring it to the full mark.

·
Registered
745 Posts

I let mine drain for over an hour, I believe that's the reason mine took over 4.4 quarts to bring it to the full mark.
I let it drain for at least 30 minutes, barely a drip left. However, the front wheels were up on 10" ramps ... maybe I didn't get 100.00%.

The Mobil 1 container is translucent, so 6/10s of a quart left is pretty accurate.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Leaving it to drain was something I always did but I don’t wait long now. Even if left all night there’s still a surprising amount left in the crank, cams and oil galleries. In that respect, the plug goes back in and crack on.

·
Registered
745 Posts
OK, here's a proposition, modern synthetic oils with 20k miles on them provide more lubrication than the VW Beetles, with no oil filter, did with 3k miles between changes.

'Course I have absolutely zero data :)

P.S. Thank goodness, after we drain it, there is a good amount of remaining oil ... between the rod journals and the crank, the wrist pins and the pistons, in the valve train, etc. ... before the oil pump has time to supply any! I don't think we should worry too much about a little extra oil left in the sump.

·
Registered
745 Posts

I thought you said it was a little over the full mark?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought you said it was a little over the full mark?
It was over slightly initially but when I checked it again about an hour later it was at the full line......Double checked underneath, no leaks found.

Checked it again last week and still at the full line....Modern day mystery :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
It was over slightly initially but when I checked it again about an hour later it was at the full line......Double checked underneath, no leaks found.

Checked it again last week and still at the full line....Modern day mystery :)
Sorta' like my battery experience ... disconnected the battery while installing a new seat, reconnected it almost a week later and NO settings were lost: radio favorites, past phone calls, door locks, iActiveSense settings ... everything was saved.

Ghosts of Hiroshima ... Pocket Monsters.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts