·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
Do it yourself, save the labor.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im really curious as to what labor cost has been quoted to people so far. I wouldn't be surprised if different dealers price gouged it differently
Looking back at NotAPreppie's instructions in a previous post, a quick Google search reveals the Retrofit Kit (0000-8F-Z34) can now be had for as little as $155.

So if you have the tools and the time (not-to-mention a heated workspace), going the DIY route is certainly tempting ... given that we have NotAPreppie's detailed, step-by-step instructions :--)

Personally, I'm confident handling the mechanical tasks, but apprehensive about the electrical tasks, e.g. updating the CMU.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh how I wish this was available 6 months ago, before I bought mine. I think this'll be a better option than starting to pay for map updates in 2 1/2 years, however it's $443 Cdn here according to my invite.

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
Looking back at NotAPreppie's instructions in a previous post, a quick Google search reveals the Retrofit Kit (0000-8F-Z34) can now be had for as little as $155.

So if you have the tools and the time (not-to-mention a heated workspace), going the DIY route is certainly tempting ... given that we have NotAPreppie's detailed, step-by-step instructions :--)

Personally, I'm confident handling the mechanical tasks, but apprehensive about the electrical tasks, e.g. updating the CMU.
It may be my background in IT (it was my first career) but I think the software was the easiest part.
Get a 1 GB or larger USB flash drive.
Format it FAT32.
Copy the firmware files to it.
Follow the instructions to the letter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Girl who sold me my car said $379 for everything. Not really worth it for that much. If I had any mechanical knowledge at all I would try to do it myself for the $155 part.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may be my background in IT (it was my first career) but I think the software was the easiest part.
Get a 1 GB or larger USB flash drive.
Format it FAT32.
Copy the firmware files to it.
Follow the instructions to the letter.
OK, instructions and encouragement ... no excuse.

P.S. I was in IT before it was IT ... it was called Data Processing, Unit Record Equipment ... half cycling an IBM 650, debugging SOAP card in/card out for input to a 407 printer ... wiring a 407, when men were men, and there was no PC, neither political behavior nor itsy-bitsy computers :--)

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
Back before computers were "personal"?

My application developer buddy once crashed an AS/400. Fortunately it was the development AS/400 and not the production AS/400.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Back before computers were "personal"?

You also programmed the IBM 650????. Me too (back in 1957). I seem to remember that one had to take into account the position of the data on the drum in order to minimize the delay in accessing the data. My God, are we showing our age!

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
Actually, no. My first computer was an Atari 800. The first one I did anything with on my own was a Commodore 128. My current project involved 10 k-type thermocouples and an ATmega328 microcontroller...

I'm just aware of those days. A family friend showed me his Master's thesis... A giant stack of punch cards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts