Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just thought I'd do a little update on how the tires are holding up. Just put my poor Cx3 through a couple hours of mountain trail climbing and gotta say this things a real beast! Definitely shocked a lot of people out on the trails in there huge lifted trucks and jeeps when they saw I'd made it so far up the mountain :D Also finally got the Rhino AeroBars and Rhino Xtray installed and really love the look. Still working on getting some additional lighting rigged up, and the mud flaps need installed but otherwise really don't need much maybe a skid plate or some underbody armor. Well and couldn't go wrong with a lift kit but that's a whole other topic. Anyways enjoy the pics

Cheers, Drake

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just thought I'd do a little update on how the tires are holding up. Just put my poor Cx3 through a couple hours of mountain trail climbing and gotta say this things a real beast! Definitely shocked a lot of people out on the trails in there huge lifted trucks and jeeps when they saw I'd made it so far up the mountain :D Also finally got the Rhino AeroBars and Rhino Xtray installed and really love the look. Still working on getting some additional lighting rigged up, and the mud flaps need installed but otherwise really don't need much maybe a skid plate or some underbody armor. Well and couldn't go wrong with a lift kit but that's a whole other topic. Anyways enjoy the pics

Cheers, Drake

Looks great. Funny thing, is that I also live in Victoria, and went the exact opposite, I lowered mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks great. Funny thing, is that I also live in Victoria, and went the exact opposite, I lowered mine.
Nice, like the red calipers! Like the look of turning the Cx3 into more of a sports hatch. However my driveway and most of my driving involves the need for as much clearance as possible haha. What exhaust are you running not stock?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice, like the red calipers! Like the look of turning the Cx3 into more of a sports hatch. However my driveway and most of my driving involves the need for as much clearance as possible haha. What exhaust are you running not stock?

Thanks, the exhaust is not stock, it is by Remus.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Cheers, Drake
Ballin!!! Thumbs up

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Check out my off road tire set up I have, ( I am new to this forum)
Looks good, that wheel style was going to be my second option but the ones I found were too cheap to skip.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Cheers, Drake
Asking for future reference because Ive wanted to do this for a while haha, what did you use to mount the tire? I was trying to find tire mounts but couldnt find anything that I would risk trying on the xtray except a ton of ratchet straps which looks really awkward. Also what mounts did you use for the shovel? Ive been keeping everything in the boot of the car and depending how solid the mounts are I wouldnt mind putting them up there on the basket as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Asking for future reference because Ive wanted to do this for a while haha, what did you use to mount the tire? I was trying to find tire mounts but couldnt find anything that I would risk trying on the xtray except a ton of ratchet straps which looks really awkward. Also what mounts did you use for the shovel? Ive been keeping everything in the boot of the car and depending how solid the mounts are I wouldnt mind putting them up there on the basket as well.
For the base of the Xtray I was able to source a rubber liner used for the bed of trucks. Was able to cut that to size and the spare sits on that. As for how I'm securing the spare I got a long cable lock ran it up and through the rim bolt holes and secured it discreetly to the rack. With the liner and the tire cover over the spare it literally hides everything. From afar looks like it's just resting in the basket. For the mounts I'm using Kolpin Rhino grips. They mount on super easily and securely to any bar up to 2'' inches in diameter. The mounts are unbelievable had the shovel, axe and spare mounted to the Xtray. Decided to due some testing out in the boonies well took it up to 140 km/h and can say nothing shifted or moved a half an inch!

https://www.amazon.ca/Kolpin-21535-Rhino-X-Large-Rollbar/dp/B003UYYGTO/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1538887393&sr=1-3&keywords=rhino+grip+xl

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks sweet! How do you like it? Nice sound? any drone?
The sound is great. My wife wanted a sportier sound (she drives it more than I do). At highway speeds, there is an increase in cabin noise, but with a sport exhaust, there always is an increase; maybe a couple decibels more than stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now I'm curious if your same 215/65/R16 all terrain set up will work on the stock 16x6.5 sport wheels. Clearly they fit on a 16x7 wheel without rubbing. I imagine the extra .33" won't rub, but I'm not sure. How much clearance do you have with the 16x7? Do you think it'll still clear with 16x6.5? I think worst case scenario because the stock sport wheels are et50 I might have to add some 5mm spacers all around. I really want to pull the trigger on some General Grabbers, but I don't want to have to buy another set of wheels if I can avoid it.

So a couple of days ago I noticed my oem tires started to crack which leaves me with great doubt on ever rebuying yokohamas ever again especially since I am seeing them for 200+ ..lol On the bright side this finally let me put my plans that I have been toying around with for the last 7 months into action. I was always looking for something more usable and offroad-y than the oem tires (idk why I have this obsession with making the cx3 into an offroader to be honest). I borrowed a friend's 15inch junk wheel he had lying around and it was too tight of a fit, so to answer the question that I have never found an answer to here lol dont go with 15s. Naturally 16 was the next best option, I also went with a higher than stock (for the 16 oem set) sidewall and a slightly lower offset and with these new ko2 tires it clears everything within half of an inch+.

Tire: BFGoodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 - SIZE: LT215/65R16
Wheel: MSW TYPE 25 - matte gray- 16x7 - offset:45

Currently only have one wheel and just ordered the other 3 mainly because I was unsure if it was going to rub and if it did come to a situation where it did, I could have used this as a spare for the rear but thankfully everything worked :)

*excuse the poor picture quality as I was in the middle of landscaping work in the backyard and dropped everything just to test fit it. Will definitly update with proper pictures once the rest come in.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
It should fit, if I had the oem set I wouldve put them on the 16s but alas I had the oem 18s. If anything you would have more clearance against rubbing on the wheel well when turning the wheel all the way to one side because of the width being slightly shorter and bigger offset, although that wouldnt be much of a issue since the overall surface area of the tire would be the same assuming you get the same size. Theres about an inch clearance on its tightest spots during the turning radius both ways so you should have more than enough room to play with.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Rip to one of the tires :( , it took 2 pretty deep nails one in the picture and one around the back side. Didnt even notice this until I went to fill up the tires due to colder weather changes. Super slow leak after spraying it but it definitely held up better than oem would ever have had. No idea how long its been in there either so was both surprised and sad to see that its going to have to be replaced. Anything close to shoulder or sidewall is automatic cause for replacement by any tire shop around here unfortunatly but such is life.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rip to one of the tires :( , it took 2 pretty deep nails one in the picture and one around the back side. Didnt even notice this until I went to fill up the tires due to colder weather changes. Super slow leak after spraying it but it definitely held up better than oem would ever have had. No idea how long its been in there either so was both surprised and sad to see that its going to have to be replaced. Anything close to shoulder or sidewall is automatic cause for replacement by any tire shop around here unfortunatly but such is life.
BUMMER!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, that blows Sly. I still haven't pulled the trigger on tires. I'm torn on whether to go with the sexy oversized KO2s or get the stock sized Yokohama Geolandar GO15, which my dealership handles. Then there's the decision of which wheels can hold up to the often excessive amount of salt used on the roads here in winter.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I feel like im driving on some frankenstein wheel right now. New wheel is being delivered wednesday for installation so I got a few days to go on this one. Thankfully its not losing any noticable psi which is still surprising me as I expected it to be flat this morning. Less than 1 psi difference from yesterday morning when I checked.

That aside something that was kind of a letdown was that tirerack does not offer "road hazard" coverage on basically anything not thats not a passenger/touring tire. Meaning any truck or A/T will not be replaced within 2 years if you get nails upon nails through it. It is reasonable and understandable why they would not cover it since these tires are meant to be abused alot more than regular "street" tires. If you can find a seller with coverage on the tire id say go for it just in case. On the bright side I didnt spend the $200 cost of the new tire on saturn sky parts, on the down side I didnt spend the $200 cost of the new tire on saturn sky parts :(

41 - 60 of 95 Posts