Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a Mazda OEM sunroof windshield from mazdagear.com. It appears that it attaches to the roof of the car when the sunroof is open. The way it attaches seems like it could be problematic for leaks. Does anyone have any leaking issues after installing one of these? Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
@Metallurgist I just got one of these today too and was wondering the same. I am going to install mine tomorrow. Have you installed yours?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think we are all waiting for someone to do this.Im with metal because the way it is installed it looks like it could leak.

·
Registered
327 Posts
On my first Mazda 6 (2004 model), I had the factory moonroof deflector on it and I took it off because it collected dust and dirt around the seal which was hard to get fully clean. It ended up leaving a couple of very small spots where the paint was damaged a bit as a result. On that one, the deflector had hooks that would go down into the roof opening and hook around under the lip of the moonroof. There was screws on top of the deflector to pull the hooks up tight to hold it in place. When you closed the moonroof, the rubber gasket would compress around the hooks and I never had any issues with it leaking in the year or so that I had it on there. I don't know if the new deflectors still install that way or not.

·
Registered
240 Posts
@Vipre77 I believe the one I got is that style you were speaking of. I will be installing mine tonight, and that is a good heads up about the dust collecting. I will need to watch for this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It doesn't look like the rubber gasket is sealed at the corner but it does look great maybe when it is on for awhile the gasket will seal all the way.How hard was the install?

·
Registered
240 Posts
@Playthru i am thinking the same as you on the corner, I am going to give a week to settle. If not I will adjust it, if that doesn't work the heat gun may come out. The install took 20 minutes if that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
@Playthru i am thinking the same as you on the corner, I am going to give a week to settle. If not I will adjust it, if that doesn't work the heat gun may come out. The install took 20 minutes if that.
Did you install it on a cold day or a chilly day?I would think that a hot day sitting out in the sun would have a chance of sealing that up.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Did you install it on a cold day or a chilly day?I would think that a hot day sitting out in the sun would have a chance of sealing that up.
it was fairly chilly yesterday. I think you are right, I will leave it for a bit. I can always take it off and clean again on a hot day and re-do it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
In an effort to make you all feel better! I have used this exact same type of sunroof deflector many times. As you have found, much easier to install than you thought at first. The clips to fasten are much longer lasting than the double stick tape used on some models. A couple of tips:

1. Prior to install, clean the car and use a good carnauba wax.

2. When washing the deflector do so as usual and when drying open the roof part way to get underneath the deflector!

3. It is not hard to remove the unit for cleaning and re-waxing. But you shouldn't need to do this for a couple of years!

I fully intend to get one for my wife's CX-3!

·
Registered
272 Posts
thanks for the pics. It's more sleek looking that I imagined, which is nice.

Your blue Mazda emblem is interesting, was that a spray paint?

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Also, keep an eye on the paint near where the clips engage the roof. On my old Mazda 6, I noticed one spot where the clip had rubbed against the paint and wore down to the primer. Couldn't see it until I took the deflector off. Another tip: Every once in a while take a look and make sure the drain slots at the corners are not plugged. On mine, leaves and other tree-related debris or ice buildup in winter would block those drain holes which caused other junk to build up in there.

My recommendation based on my experience with these Mazda deflectors is to take it completely off and clean and wax under there at least once a year minimum. Twice or more preferred. Driving rain and snow and ice in the winter can, and almost certainly will, drive dirt under the rubber seal on these. These things do move/bounce slightly under road vibration and aerodynamic loads which can create an abrasion action.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ordered one for my wife's CX from Mazdagear.com. Should be here next week. I noticed their shipping is a bit high, but after pricing items I wanted at other places Mazdagear is still a lot cheaper. Even checked eBay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts