Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even local, nearby stations suffering. I had assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that all car radios nowadays were digitally tuned.

Perhaps not but where do I look to correct the problem? BOSE speakers are nice but their fidelity is not helping!

Anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Radio itself is a weird one. It kind of exists in two modes for modern units. The 'hd' mode and regular. Not sure on specifics but its not like tv ota which is entirely digital now. HD mode is the digital high quality people might be used to but because its a all or nothing sort of connection it falls back to regular staticy version when a bad signal. Not sure if there's some specific reason for this such as incase of emergency alert requiring even partial messsge to be heard etc but wouldn't be surprising.

If you want to try random experiments or replacing the component or even hookup an aftermarket antenna to see if it makes a difference, the box is located to the right of the passenger footwell. You gotta remove the glove compartment and then a lower panel held by two tab clips. Theres an aftermarket radio thread i show this in during my rabbit hole journey of replacing the head unit.

If anything id say its worth a look to see if maybe you have a loose antenna plug connection or fuse(although idk if theres an antenna fuse now that i think about it)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Welp I learned something new the other day driving through dark woods at midnight with the front offroad lights on pulling about 500w from the electrical system, they produce alot of interference. When I had the lights on the radio was staticy and then went clear hd1 mode when I turned them off and used only oem lights. Didnt think it would effect radio signal but apparently its pushing enough of electrical interference to disrupt the signal and while my case is a little extreme it could also be a factor here

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses!
I think I'll just live with it until weather is better before messing around and random experiments. HD, not HD, lights on or not, daytime, nighttime, anytime, radio just doesn't pick up many stations (I only listen to FM) and virtually all are staticy

·
Registered
247 Posts
I will have to check mine... I only use XM-Sirius so never noticed this situation. Cao.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts