Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GT comes with Yokohama AVID S34FV 215/50/18 low rolling resistance tires. These tires have a tread wear rating of 320 and only a B traction rating. I went searching the web for tires in this size and I came up with nada. It doesn't matter if your CX-3 is AWD, these LRR tires are downright terrible in the winter. Mazda probably put this on the CX-3 to squeak out another .02 MPG in the EPA test.

I know Mazda likes to install specially made OEM tires on their cars in the past. They use to put some oddball Toyo tire that only was made for them and couldn't find it in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
234 Posts
you can go a little wider or narrower and either 55 or 45 to see if theres any better options (going 5+/- on the ratio doesnt hurt the speedo accuracy a whole much from what i tested around but take that with a grain of salt)...i can see what else is offered for the CX3 through dealership means since every time i make an estimate for tires they give me a list of 3-4 with varying widths, ratios, brands and blah blah blah.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm moving up to 225/50/18 when the time comes. A ton more options and only a slight difference in diameter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also noticed that only the OEM Yokohamas are available in the correct size. We'll see how they do this winter, but they'll at least need to be replaced when worn. Would one be better to look for alternatives in 45 or 55 width? You're right that it shouldn't make any appreciable difference in speed, but is it generally recommended to go wider or narrower for safety, handling, etc.?

·
Registered
193 Posts
With 300 miles on the factory Yokohama Avid S34s I replaced the 215/50R18 tires with Michelin Pilot AS3s in 225/45R18. The replacement tires are approximately one-half inch, 12mm for the metric folks, smaller in outside diameter than the Yokos resulting in a negligible change in indicated speed. Best money I have spent on the CX3. A noticeable improvement in cornering, braking and wet/dry traction. There are many choices in the 225/45R18 series tires.

Reactions: Sarah

·
Registered
193 Posts
The GT OEM wheel is 18x7 with a 50mm offset. When I removed my wheels I weighed them and they were 26.5 lbs each. I have installed Enkei Raijin 18x8 50et in matte black which weigh 20 lbs with the Michelin tires. I will take some pictures and post.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Pictures associated with previous post #9 .

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Continentals seem to get good reviews and word of mouth. Has anyone swapped their Yokos for them?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I haven't but Conti's are what i swear by. Used to own BMW's and they all had Conti's... loved those tires and wouldn't opt for anything else if Conti's were an option or just standard.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've heard/experienced nothing but great things with Continentals. It's what I will go back to once I've burned through my stock set. Although that will be some time from now :(

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello Everyone. New member (2017 CX-3 GT). When I had my Acura, I swapped the stock Michelins for Continentals, and it was the best money I ever spent on tires. I would go back to Contis in an instant. I am hoping that in the next couple of years, Continental comes up with a couple of good options in the stock GT size.

Reactions: Sarah

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
In most cases, a difference in size of +/- 3% is considered acceptable. Actually, it's been noticed by autocrossers that two tires marketed as the same size by different brands can vary by more than this.

225/50-18 is only 1.5% larger than stock. That means at 60 mph indicated, you'll actually be going 60.9 mph. This isn't a huge difference and Tire Rack has 55 tires available in that size.

225/45-18 is only 1.9% smaller than stock which means at 60 mph indicated, you'll actually be going 58.9 mph. Again, not a huge difference and this size is even MORE popular as TireRack has 96 tires in that size.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are going to keep your CX-3 for several years, get a set of 16" rims and buy snow tires (less than $100) for guaranted snow traction. Saves wearing out tires switching from summer to winter on 18"rims and if you have a jack they can be switched in ~45 minutes (I'm 73 and don't work too fast) as weather dictates. Did this in Vermont with a Honde Del Sol and MINI Cooper S--snow in September? throw the winters on--Indian Summer, put the Summers back on.
Now in West Virginia, had 16" rims left from Suzuki SX-4--proper bolt circle and offset--new lugnuts and center rings from Tire Rack--and I'm ready for the nasty stuff with studded snows.

·
Registered
16 Posts
45/55 is sidewall height as a % of width. 225/45r18 is close enough to 215/50r18 to be used. May get into load rating problems with 205/55r18. Selling my 205/60r16 snow tires (previous car) as load rating is not legal (inspectable) and going to 215/60r16 on after market rims.

·
Registered
893 Posts
225/45R18 is small and looks weird, I've seen them on the CX-3.

As for continentals specifically, yeah they're consistently some of the top rated tires. I went with the TrueContact for my CX-3, great ride and very quiet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts