Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 CX3 GT will need new tires soon. The selection for 215/50/18 tires is non-existent and the prices are horrible.

Looking at alternatives, it looks like the 235/45/18 size is less than 1% smaller than 215/50/18. Is that something that would fit on the stock wheels?

If I have to replace the wheels, what size would you guys recommend? I'm willing to sacrifice handling for increased ride comfort. Should I switch to 17" or 16" wheels?

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
There won't be a significant difference without carefully calibrated equipment while the car is being driven by a professional on a recently re-paved race track.

Just have a look at the sticky at the top of this sub-forum and have fun searching.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 235/45/18 tire requires a 17.5" min rim width, so it looks like it's not going to fit. Will look at 225/50 in more detail but looking like I might as well change the wheels.

The sticky is nice, but doesn't answer what I asked. Thanks for pointing it out though.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just replaced two of my original tires (the other two will be replaced wihtin the next month).
I considerd changing size, but found several options in the orig. size, among others Continental and Michelin makes tires in the orig. size.
I went with Michelin Primacy 3. They do very well in tests and I have used their winter tires for years.
The price is about the same as a 225/45-18 tire, so no real reason to change size.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I just put 235/50-18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on my OE rims and they mounted up easy. Rides like a dream.

·
Registered
2018 CX3 GT AWD Soul Crystal Red (Bose System, White Leather Seats)
7 Posts
SIZE WISE .You are absolurely correct.
I have been looking at that fact sheet all day.
both tire as stated avove are very close to OEM size .
Watch out for other pit falls by fitting wider tires, there is nothing wrong with a 225 /50/18 tire it is a good all round tire size .
I will be fitting the MICHELIN CROSS CONTACT 2 .............225 /50 /18 tire

CX3 :Soul Red :2 ltr : Auto :Teflon coating. View attachment 23726
Hello!!!

How does it feel??
Have you spotted any difference in speed, handling, etc??

Regards,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello!!!

How does it feel??
Have you spotted any difference in speed, handling, etc??

Regards,
I sail " I will be" meaning some time in the future not this week I hope that I have not mis led you.

The main problem in selecting vehicle tires is when that becomes a trade off or a see saw effect where people trade comfort for speed, or compare looks and performance in other words, you can have your cake an eat it .
The bottom line is be prudent, you make you own bed a then lay in it.
Tire selection should not be treated by what people may want but what people need for conditions in their particular area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts