Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to use my AC for the 1st time last week and nothing. Scheduled an appointment with the dealer for today. Diagnosis, no refrigerant in the system. :eek: No sign of a leak after they filled it up. They'll check it again later this week. Never had a new car with this problem. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, good thing you didn't try running it for too long. Many systems depend on the refrigerant or other liquid in there to keep things from overheating and seizing up. I don't know for sure if that would have happened here, but I wouldn't want to chance it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well. No AC again today, so there's obviously a leak. Dealer will try again on Friday. Hopefully they'll find the issue this time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So, diagnosis, bad evaporator. One week has gone by and the dealer is still waiting on the part, so my car sits and I'm driving a fancy Mazda 6 loaner car. At least the 6 has working A/C.

What sucks is I'm pretty sure they'll have to take the whole dash apart to access the evaporator and since they're only getting warranty reimbursement I'm nervous about the quality of the repair. Kinda of bummed.

Here's a YouTube video showing the repair for a sensor on an evaporator. Lot's of labor involved. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-eK5fH9f3s

·
Registered
171 Posts
Watching that video almost made me ill thinking about if that was my car.The cabin filter please you have to remove the dash to replace the cabin filter.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Watching that video almost made me ill thinking about if that was my car.The cabin filter please you have to remove the dash to replace the cabin filter.
No, all Mazdas with replaceable cabin air filters are accessible through the glove box. You usually have to remove the glove box to get at it, but that's maybe a 30 second job, including removal of junk from the glove box. No tools even needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Latest update. No part available until mid-May at the earliest. More likely end of May, so my CX-3 will be out of commission for around two months. I hope this defective evaporator is unique to my vehicle only. Not very happy with the Mazda USA parts supply chain.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Latest update. No part available until mid-May at the earliest. More likely end of May, so my CX-3 will be out of commission for around two months. I hope this defective evaporator is unique to my vehicle only. Not very happy with the Mazda USA parts supply chain.
Man that really sucks, but I think we can all expect similar delays if we have issues. Probably a "perk" of going with a relatively small car company that can't afford to have too many parts laying around.

Like nik007 says perhaps they should give you a new car, maybe you can argue for one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think the only way I can get a new car under Oregon's lemon law is three attempts to fix the same problem. So far we're on round 1. At least my loaner cars have been nice, 1st a Mazda 6 and now a CX-5. Both have made me appreciate the CX-3 though. The 6 is a sporty sedan and the CX-5 is a decent SUV, but neither has the combination of practical hatchback and sporty handling that the CX-3 has.

Man that really sucks, but I think we can all expect similar delays if we have issues. Probably a "perk" of going with a relatively small car company that can't afford to have too many parts laying around.

Like nik007 says perhaps they should give you a new car, maybe you can argue for one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thought I'd let folks know my car is at the dealer for a second A/C Evaporator. The 1st replacement had pin hole leaks like the original. Obviously the replacement was defective. My A/C did seem weak this summer and it quit about a week ago. Mazda is covering the repair (minus $150) even though I'm out of the warranty period at my current mileage of 51,000. I'm also getting the condenser replaced as part of the extended service program. I sure hope this is the last time my dash has to be disassembled to replace a part that should last the life of a normal car. My dealer has been very good to work with.

I really am interested in the CX-30 but given my bad experiences with the early production 2016 CX-3, I'm going to wait a year or two so Mazda can work out any issues with the CX-30.

I've had a bunch of other minor issues like tail light seals and condensation in the headlights. All have been replaced under warranty, but it is a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently purchased a well maintained 2016 CX-3 from my local Mazda dealer. AWD touring (GS here in Canada) with only 28,000KM on it. Didn't read about these AC issues in my research until I got it home a couple of weeks ago.

That said, the AC seems to be working fine, but I've downloaded some service documents from Mazda referencing the issue just in case it crops up. Thankfully, the previous owner purchased an extended warranty, so I'm good until May of 2021.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased a well maintained 2016 CX-3 from my local Mazda dealer. AWD touring (GS here in Canada) with only 28,000KM on it. Didn't read about these AC issues in my research until I got it home a couple of weeks ago.

That said, the AC seems to be working fine, but I've downloaded some service documents from Mazda referencing the issue just in case it crops up. Thankfully, the previous owner purchased an extended warranty, so I'm good until May of 2021.
Mazda has extended warranty for 2016-2017 produced June 1 2015 through October 22 2016 on air conditioners to 7 years. I received notification in the mail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mazda has extended warranty for 2016-2017 produced June 1 2015 through October 22 2016 on air conditioners to 7 years. I received notification in the mail.
Thanks! I'll look into that. I didn't see anything on Mazda Canada's website.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the 2018-2019s have had better parts in the AC that’s maybe why there was no more extended warranty for later years - they must have addressed the issue after 2016-2017

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the 2018-2019s have had better parts in the AC that’s maybe why there was no more extended warranty for later years - they must have addressed the issue after 2016-2017
Hopefully they are using the same "better" parts in the warranty replacements. My 2016, bought in April 2019, had a bad unit that was replaced in June. The dealer did it under warranty since I had taken delivery less than 60 days before. It took them three days to do the job! After watching the video I can understand why.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts