1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I suspect the reason they have turned the wheel slightly is because they have found that the Subaru system has backed right off to avoid the tight corner braking phenomenon where the CX-3 hasn't quite. They've just found a week spot. I think if they straightened both up the results would be similar and I'm disappointed that they've done it even though I'm a CX-3 supporter.

There is indeed an input from the wipers to the AWD computer. It uses that input to slightly remap the settings to optimise for wet weather. It has no other way of telling that the road may be wet.

It's kinda thrilling to see our little motor win but those sales guys are not being very ethical. More situations need comparing. Let's fight fair!

Reactions: ohgeez

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course, I think in one of the videos they even say this is a specific situation and driving in a straight line "is easy" or something along those lines.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Of course, I think in one of the videos they even say this is a specific situation and driving in a straight line "is easy" or something along those lines.
Yeah that's right. Old Scooby has got one hand behind his back but he'd probably head butt us in a different situation!

These sales guys will move heaven and earth to get our cash when in fact, these are soft roaders not bespoke 4X4s. The CX-3 is pretty damn good for a road vehicle but they are tuned to good surfaces with some poor weather limited capabilities. Let's face it, we're good for 6 inches of snow on winter tyres but we'd probably be screwed at 8 or 9 inches. That front bumper will act like a big scoop and there is a very delicate radiator right behind it. I see mine as an improved chance of getting home from work if it starts to close in.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm hoping we don't get too much snow here, but I want a little bit just to drive around in it :)

So far it has been unseasonably warm and it is just starting to get seriously cold. But you're right, this is no 4x4 and shouldn't be treated as such. For me though it is an improvement over my last car which only had a 5 inch ground clearance and was front wheel drive. I couldn't really go out at all in the snow, I'm hoping the CX-3 will give me some more mobility and peace of mind when it starts snowing a few inches.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I didn't know the AWD was linked to wipers. In that case, my AWD will be engaged 9 full months a year without a break!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I didn't know the AWD was linked to wipers. In that case, my AWD will be engaged 9 full months a year without a break!
Haha! The same as our little island sitting on the edge of the Atlantic!

Joking aside, I'd just like to clarify that using the wipers alone will not engage the AWD;

*only alter the behaviour slightly, should the AWD be engaged

*and/or bring in the AWD slightly earlier should the AWD be required

1 - 7 of 7 Posts