Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've gotten your attention with blatant clickbait, I am genuinely shocked at how small the fuel thimble is on AWD models. 1/4 tank, 24X miles, 8.247 gals at 2.349/gal. I'm spending less than $20/fill-up... every 24X miles... What's everybody else getting for fuel economy on AWD models?

·
Registered
27 Posts
right now really not bothering with mileage.
because i know its not that great.
so waiting after break in period, hopefully 700 miles or so.
yeh agree that tank is small.
but i would be ok with 25 mpg mix driving.
hope people chimes in.

thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was about to be very concerned at why my dns and adblockers didnt catch that headline but it was just a post.

Getting 26mpg with mainly city with some highway driving with heavy noisy all terrain tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right now really not bothering with mileage.
because i know its not that great.
so waiting after break in period, hopefully 700 miles or so.
yeh agree that tank is small.
but i would be ok with 25 mpg mix driving.
hope people chimes in.

thanks
It's a hell of a lot better than my Subaru I used to drive! That thing would get 400 to a tank (full to empty) and average 19 in the winter, 25 in the summer. It's just so small that I'm finding myself planning weekly gas station trips.
I get an average of city 27mpg and 32 highway. I've driven over 50,000 miles in my 2017 CX3.
AWD? That's pretty much on par with EPA estimates. I never really cared to look how big the gas tank was before I purchased the CX-3. Ever so slightly regretting it, but I'm having so much fun in it that I don't really care all that much anymore.
I was about to be very concerned at why my dns and adblockers didnt catch that headline but it was just a post.

Getting 26mpg with mainly city with some highway driving with heavy noisy all terrain tires.
Gotcha! :D What kind of tires do you have? Same OE tire size?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Bf Goodrich KO2s, had to downsize to 16" wheels and get a little higher sidewall (only ones that would fit and smallest size they offered anyways) to get that close to oem fit with no rubbing and such. Road noise makes you alot more informed of how fast you drive so sometimes it helps you drive more 'efficiently' but you can also still gun it like usual which works. Now to just get a lift going for larger tires haha

·
Super Moderator
108 Posts
I get around 26-27 mpg average depending on the season. For the summer I run 215/45 R18 RE050As and for the winter I have 225/45 R18 Falken Eurowinters.

As a side note, I have been "overfilling" the tiny little gas tank by 1 gallon after the pump stops for the past 3+ years to no ill effect. This way I get around 300 miles per tank consistently, which is acceptable. YMMV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bf Goodrich KO2s, had to downsize to 16" wheels and get a little higher sidewall (only ones that would fit and smallest size they offered anyways) to get that close to oem fit with no rubbing and such. Road noise makes you alot more informed of how fast you drive so sometimes it helps you drive more 'efficiently' but you can also still gun it like usual which works. Now to just get a lift going for larger tires haha
That's what I'm running right now are the stock 16" rims. Yoko Avid Envigor tires. They're dece. Once they're worn to 4/32" I'll be upgrading to some nicer 18" wheels. Want to look like a GT hahah
I get around 26-27 mpg average depending on the season. For the summer I run 215/45 R18 RE050As and for the winter I have 225/45 R18 Falken Eurowinters.

As a side note, I have been "overfilling" the tiny little gas tank by 1 gallon after the pump stops for the past 3+ years to no ill effect. This way I get around 300 miles per tank consistently, which is acceptable. YMMV.
I'd be slightly concerned about the possible damage to the evaporative canister. The Mazda training I did kind of engraved into my soul that once the pump stops automatically, don't top it off as it could damage certain fuel systems and it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
would also love to get a hold of eom 18's.
but might have to settle for aftermarket.
how would the ride and noise quality change by going to 18's.

thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Our 2016 did not fully break in until 5-6K. Then our mileage leveled out at their best levels. We get 25-26 MPG in town and 32-34 MPG on highway. Can't complain for an AWD car. The small fuel tank is NOT a problem for us. The car now has 30K on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
would also love to get a hold of eom 18's.
but might have to settle for aftermarket.
how would the ride and noise quality change by going to 18's.

thanks
Ride quality will be harsher as the shorter sidewall of the tire will not allow for a lot of flexibility to absorb bumps in the road. High speed handling maneuvers will be improved due to a stiffer and shorter sidewall. Noise quality will be lower (louder) again due to less rubber absorbing road vibration and harshness.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
The make/model of tires will have a big impact on NVH.

The OE 18" Yokohama S34 tires are noisy and not terribly comfortable. I briefly put a set of 245/40-18 Hankook R-S3 (almost race tires) mounted to some old 18x8 alloys on the car (after debris destroyed one of the Yokos) and those were even worse. Eventually found a steal of a deal on some 235-wide Michelin Pilot Super Sports and those ride like a dream compared to the OE and almost-race tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm surprised that people are getting what I would call quite low mileage out of the AWD. Now its' run in (12,000 miles), mine will routinely do 320 miles with some left in the tank, and the last fill was 350 miles still with around 3/4 gallon left. I make that around 45 mpg (UK). The trip computer shows usually around 43 mpg at the end of a tank. I don't hang about either, but I do drive economically.

·
Super Moderator
108 Posts
I'm surprised that people are getting what I would call quite low mileage out of the AWD. Now its' run in (12,000 miles), mine will routinely do 320 miles with some left in the tank, and the last fill was 350 miles still with around 3/4 gallon left. I make that around 45 mpg (UK). The trip computer shows usually around 43 mpg at the end of a tank. I don't hang about either, but I do drive economically.
It entirely depends on your driving conditions. If you drive 50 mph with no stop and go traffic almost all the time, I can see how you might get 43mpg. If you do stop and go driving and then highway driving (say 75-80 mph) there is absolutely no way you will get anywhere close to 43mpg. You will struggle to hit 30mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get 34.2 MPG with mine using 300 miles per tank on my fill up. I drive 100 miles a day mostly highway.
If not highway I get 32.4.
Same size tires that came on it.
2016' CX-3.

Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My last fill was 31.9 MPG. 197 miles on that tank with just under 1/2 tank. Indicated 130-ish miles to empty. I really don't like going under 1/4 tank to help keep the fuel pump cool and happy, so I find myself regularly taking the CX-3 to its watering hole. The guy at the gas station I fill at asked if I'm really loving my car because I'm coming back every 2-3 days to fill up. I love it, yes. However the fuel thimble is causing me come back every couple hundred miles. I'm used to larger fuel tanks with 400 miles of range (2012 Mazda3 2.0 SkyActiv, 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5, 2008 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5). Long road trips to California, Texas, Florida are usually an annual event. It's a little distressing to me haha. I didn't really think about the fuel tank size when I purchased it. Just need to carry a jug of fuel with me when I go just in case I run low with no stations close by.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a university student so I don't drive every day, but when I travel to and from home (an hour one way on the interstate) I've found that 6th gear and 2500rpm will give me about 70mph and an avg mpg of 39~40 in light traffic. If the traffic gets heavy that's going down to about 32mpg. In the city I'll get about 29mpg.

Edit: fwd model

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I travel on the highway, I'll lock it into 6th gear to keep it from downshifting unless the hills become to extreme and then I will put it back into auto and let it take over. Seems to help the mpg a little.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow you guys seem to get a lot of range from fill-up. I only get 384km which comes to roughly 240miles. Ughhh, I’m driving a 2016 Mazda cx-3 AWD. Idk why?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts